Xbox One UK price cut is a middle finger to early adopters

Monday, 24th February 2014 16:25 GMT By Matt Martin

Three months after release, Microsoft’s panic price cut is an insult to its most loyal fans. And as an added kick in the jewels they get to see later adopters pick up Titanfall for free.

20131217_xbox_one_2

“There’s no other way to assess such an immediate and drastic price cut less than three months after release. It’s a panic move from Microsoft.”

Microsoft took a lot of people off guard today by announcing a price cut in the UK on the Xbox One, a games console it only released last November.

Critics, analysts, fans, marketers and everyone else with a throwaway opinion had been calling out Microsoft for its overpriced console since it first revealed the price point at E3 last year, but it was still a shock to see the company slash £30 off the machine and throw in a copy of Titanfall to boot.

Yep, Titanfall. The most anticipated game on the console. Possibly the most-anticipated game of the year. The one many had been holding off buying the console for. At the risk of repeating myself, now you can pick up the console for less and the game for free.

Surely none were more shocked than the early adopters of the Xbox One, those dedicated fans who bought the machine on day one. These are the fans who not only helped push the console to more than 3.9 million units shipped worldwide but also hoovered up the first batch of high-profile releases, no matter how they reviewed.

Clearly, sales of Microsoft’s Xbox One are lagging behind Sony’s PlayStation 4 in the UK. There’s no other way to assess such an immediate and drastic price cut less than three months after release. It’s a panic move from Microsoft.

It cannot let Sony get ahead and stay ahead this early in the console lifecycle otherwise it remains in second place for years. And in a race that only has two competitors, second place is first loser.

This may be Microsoft levelling the playing field with Sony, but it does so at the cost of pulling the rug out from under the asses of its most loyal supporters.

Obviously people buy a console on day one for many reasons, and no-one forced them to drop £429 on their hardware of choice.

But neither did they expect to see the price cut so quickly and have to fork out £50 for a game later adopters are now going to get for free.

“Microsoft’s latest backtrack for its games console is more of a “fuck you package” to the fans it should be grateful to.”

When Microsoft cut the price of the original Xbox in 2002 (for the same reason – sluggish sales) it offered two free games to early adopters and an extra controller. So far, there has been no such “thank you package”.

Indeed, Microsoft’s latest backtrack for its games console – of which there have been a ludicrous amount – is more of a “fuck you package” to the fans it should be grateful to for supporting it so far in this console war.

1. Mike W

Well Apple did the same with one of their phones right?

#1 10 months ago
  2. FLOW0410

COOOL

#2 10 months ago
  3. Mus42

So VG24/7 are really going for the whole sensationalist headlines style full on I take it?
    If MS had waited 6 months to do this would that be fine? or would you then say it was too little too late?

#3 10 months ago
  4. CyberMarco

Well, seems .

#4 10 months ago
  5. TheWulf

It’s less that and more how they keep backpedalling.

These new social features are here to stay. Get ready for a digital DRM future!
    All of those features have now gone away, even the good ones! Now the XBox One is just like the 360!

Our always-on camera is non-negotiable! There will always be Kinect!
    We’re thinking of releasing bundles without the Kinect.

Our price isn’t going to change because of the Kinect, that’s for certain.
    UK discounts for all! We’re not desperate!

And so on.

#5 10 months ago
  6. demondownload

Anybody who buys a console on release should really an inconvenient price cut that favours those who didn’t rush out on launch day. You’re paying a premium to be there on day one, and Microsoft doesn’t owe you anything for your abundance of enthusiasm.

At what point would it be acceptable, to these butt-hurt fanboys, for Microsoft to attempt sales-boosting price cuts in an effort to maintain viability of the platform in the face of a competitor that’s outselling it 2:1? They need to move boxes to keep the software coming; if they don’t make every effort to grow the consumer base and the games stop coming, your fancy £425 box will be looking like an even more foolish purchase.

#6 10 months ago
  7. CyberMarco

Stupid comments!

Seems appropriate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rIJmGj4g-s
    Especially @1:14

#7 10 months ago
  8. Djoenz

I have no empathy for early adopters anyway. I could laugh my ass off but no.
    We all knew Microsoft’s early policies, they backflipped they said Kinect had to be connected in order for the One to work, well turnt out that was BS too yet they include it in every single package. Seeing Xbox360 havent done anything worthwhile in terms of games the last three years which also was a slap in the face of the loyal customers and the fact early consoles tend to have technical issues anyway, I have no empathy for stupidity whatsoever.

Also Crytek’s decision to not implement a certain feature in Ryse which they said they would (this feature reassured possibly a few ppl for the title and might have tilted ppl over to purchase the game) is a failure imo. No excuse.

If GTA V doesnt have Heists soon or if they will abandon it completely I will never buy a fucking GTA title ever again.

Leading ppl on.

#8 10 months ago
  9. Mike W

@TheWulf

So true, I’m pretty sure the Kinect is the next to see a 180, if Titanfall doesn’t do the numbers.

#9 10 months ago
  10. Michael Ireland

And this is why I never buy hardware day 1, ever.

After sic generations of hardware, I know better.

@Mus42 I’m the first to call VG24/7 on stuff like that, but how exactly is this title sensationalist?

#10 10 months ago
  11. Francis O

This isn’t an F-U to early adopters. Whoever decided to buy a $500 console with $60 online multiplayer and a useless Kinect senor at launch is an idiot.

Don’t buy consoles at launch……….period.

#11 10 months ago
  12. super3001

Bullshit sensationalist article is typical of vg247.

Hack writers cant make news interesting so add conjecture opinion and hyperbole.

No middle finger to early adopters. We know the deal, been there before. Happens all the time in electronics.

Sort your shitty reporting style vg247. It like gutter press.

#12 10 months ago
  13. AHA-Lambda

sorry what? That is just the stupidest fallacy. This is the risk you take by being an early adopter, don’t like it? WAIT!

Nintendo has already done it twice with 3DS and WiiU, Sony has done it with Vita, now MS with XB1. If you bought it at launch and are moaning about this you’ve only got yourself to blame.

This isn’t news, it’s simple economics (oh our stuff ain’t selling? Drop the price!) and a mouthpiece article based on fallacies.

#13 10 months ago
  14. AHA-Lambda

sorry for the dp, but I’ve seen a worrying trend of sensationalist clickbait bull on vg247 lately. First, the deep down — woman are just men with tits — article, don’t like it? comments are closed!
    Now, this?

#14 10 months ago
  15. DarkSoulz

So people bitch about the price, MS reduces price and people are angry? WTF, F UK and their gaming community.

#15 10 months ago
  16. Nintendo1985

Wow this site is so anti-xbox that it’s unprofessional …

#16 10 months ago
  17. Stardog

No it’s not. You pay a premium to get it early. Prices always go down. You paid the price because you obviously thought it was worth it.

Maybe the author should state if they bought one at full price to see if the article is biased or not.

#17 10 months ago
  18. Michael Ireland

@Nintendo1985 No it isn’t.

#18 10 months ago
  19. DarkSoulz

@Nintendo1985 seems VG is also being rewarded to anti XO from Sony. Why would you bitch about a better price?? this site is worse sellouts than Kotaku.

#19 10 months ago
  20. SlayerGT

Only thing it tells me is their sales figures are bullshit.

#20 10 months ago
  21. Armitage Shanks

This has been happening for a long time,Its always a good idea to milk as much as you can from early adopters and then make a more attractive price point for everyone else once the launch sales start drying up.I remember picking up the Nintendo 64 on day one and a price cut following very soon afterward,wasn’t bothered by it,i waited a long time to play Mario 64 and it was worth jumping in day one for me,same story with the Dreamcast.

#21 10 months ago
  22. Panthro

A middle finger… Right to the butthole… Just how they like it.

#22 10 months ago
  23. boiled lobster

@Mike W

“Apple’s iPhone Business is Larger than All of Microsoft… If you took the iPhone business out of Apple then what remains is still larger than all of Microsoft combined.” – Forbes

You gotta love quote like this one. It puts things into perspective.

#23 10 months ago
  24. Maguire82

Its just the way it go’s I’m happy with my purchase and its only £30, I felt at the time the deal I got was good I got a day one box with two games. I got ryse and fifa for free. I’m loving my X1 and I cant wait to get back on titanfall.

#24 10 months ago
  25. Mike W

@Francis O

But didn’t you buy the Wii U at launch?

#25 10 months ago
  26. CharlesLupula

Even though I will probably never buy an XB1 (and I think Titanfall looks boring as shit), this is an absolutely absurd editorial. Seriously. Early adopters always pay more and get less. Nobody is being screwed over because nobody was forced to buy an XB1 or a PS4 or a Wii U or whatever, at launch.

I’m not the most pro-Microsoft person around, but you’re being ridiculous. By this same logic, any price cut is a middle finger to early adopters. It’s a necessary business move to counter lower-than-expected sales, that’s all.

#26 10 months ago
  27. polygem

in my opinion that whole xbox one release was a huge middle finer to everyone who has ever invested in the xbox brand.
    because of that, i decided to become an early adopter of the ps4 instead but that thing was a very unsinspired, boring piece of tech.
    that´s why i game on pc and nintendo now.
    it´s good.

#27 10 months ago
  28. Djoenz

@CharlesLupula

The main reason Matt Martin rants about this is because of the timeframe.
    XboxOne was only released like 3 months ago.

Usually price cuts are within a year or so but 3 months? Not sure.

#28 10 months ago
  29. Dragon

Agreed with the sentiment of the article. Early adopters, in case of consoles, almost always get the best deal on the hardware, since at launch most console hardware are sold at a loss or at breakeven price, they are profited from later on. Its a nice incentive for your fanbase which bought a console earlier than others, before it reaches its full potential.
    However, with this move coming so early, its not “fair” to early adopters, who will definitely feel a bit ripped off. Ninty gave an “ambassador package” when it cut the 3DS price, as a token of gratitude for their biggest fans – the early adopters. MS should follow suit.

That said, from a biz perspective, it was a much needed move. If there is any chance of X1 gaining ground anywhere against PS4, its now. But this move also says that they have all but given up on mainland Europe. So PS4 already has won those regions + Japan. With US and UK also favouring PS4 over X1, its desperate times for Xbox division.

Spare a thought for EA though :lol:

#29 10 months ago
  30. Djoenz

@Dragon
    Hold on XboxOne still has 8 european countries to conquer ;)

#30 10 months ago
  31. OwningXylophone

I have no regrets about picking up an Xbox One at launch, and I’d probably be more annoyed at the Titanfall bundle if I’d been stuck with Fifa rather than the Forza bundle I managed to snag.

What does interest me is if early adopters will get something in return for this price cut? As history shows a trend for this with the original Xbox where early adopters were offered free games/controllers after the price was slashed early, the same when Nintendo slashed the 3DS price. Ideally MS will just credit £30 to the accounts of people with the “Day One” achievement to spend on whatever they want, but something tells me that if anything we will probably be offered free copy of Ryse.

#31 10 months ago
  32. Mike W

@Dragon

Interesting, I just fail to see how this is a middle finger to early adopters? The consumers who purchased the XBO day one weren’t force to buy that product.

#32 10 months ago
  33. OlderGamer

Made my day CyberMarco!

This far, one nagging question asked in a nagging voice well is nagging me from the back of my head:

Did we really need a new generation of consoles?

I mean it seems obvious. And before they actually started launching it was a no brianer. But, and it is early, what new do they offer/bring to the table? How do they justify the investment?

#33 10 months ago
  34. Djoenz

@OlderGamer
    Wait for ND my man wait for ND,

#34 10 months ago
  35. game_on

I bought the 3DS and Wii U at day one, both have had price cuts soon after. These things happen to early adopters, if you can’t handle that then just don’t buy a console at day one.

#35 10 months ago
  36. Dragon

@Djoenz,
    MS lost Europe already (and well, Japan :lol: ). In most countries PS4 leading X1 by more than 2:1 ratio. Its over.
    MS is now fighting just to get back in the game in countries where it decimated Sony earlier (US and UK). That says a lot.

@Mike W,
    Its semantics really. Ninty didn’t owe anything to its early adopters, but they gave the package. Same logic here.
    MS don’t owe anything, but the people like being cared about, don’t they. It would be, if nothing else, a nice PR move for them.
    They could certainly do with some positive PR, cant they? ;)

“Did we really need a new generation of consoles?”
    Did we need new graphics cards, or new phones, or new TVs?
    Well, except for things that hardly anyone buys, which just proves there is no market for them, like Wii U.

#36 10 months ago
  37. Dragon

Btw, off topic, but here is how pros spin things

“”When you think about the hottest games coming in the next year, you obviously think of Titanfall, but I’d also say Watch Dogs and Destiny are two other incredibly anticipated games and rightly so. Xbox One is the only console where you’ll be able to play all three of those titles.”

The spin, its dizzying.
    Although he conveniently forgot to mention 360 has them all too ;)

#37 10 months ago
  38. Dragon

Link for that-

Really, who killed the edit button?

#38 10 months ago
  39. Francis O

@Mike W

- I bought the Wii U at launch for business purposes. I write that shit off on my taxes.

#39 10 months ago
  40. Djoenz

@Dragon
    Oh snap your last few sentences. I agree to an extend lol.

#40 10 months ago
  41. Froseidon

Before I start, I know this is an opinion piece. I have to say, I can’t bring myself to agree with this article in any way. It really does just seem like a hate article. I know VG is NOT bias but this article seems rather poor. I mean no offence to the writer or the website, but I don’t think this article should be here. Early adopters should always expect price drops, if not sooner, then later. It happens, that’s the way of the market. Besides this should also be a boon to the early adopters, it will mean that there is a larger community for them to “enjoy” and, since the PS4 was outselling the X1, the price drop may mean that the X1 will now have more longevity, in both the short term and the long term.

Also, I thought the idea of an opinion is based upon weighing up the negatives and positives and then making a decision, not just blatantly being mad. To me, this article is a little unprofessional.

Also, refrain from the words “console war”, it really does just entice fanboyism, which a site like this could do without. Its alright supporting one console, but some do take it to an extreme. the words “console war” have bad rep, or well, they do at least to me, thought they might do to someone else as well.

P.S. – Would like to say again that I understand this is an opinion piece and doesn’t reflect on VG’s console stance (for which there isn’t an over-arching stance) directly.

#41 10 months ago
  42. Mike W

@Francis O

Come on, do you really expect me to believe a die hard fan like yourself for Nintendo products bought the Wii U for business purposes?

#42 10 months ago
  43. turbomonkey

No. I’m a day one adopter and love this move. Might help a few more chums step up a generation so we can enjoy Titanfall together. It’s not like I expected prices to go up, ms are losing ground to ps4 daily by the sounds of things so good sense to grow the install base asap. I also got a free game day 1, so 30 quid is nothing for the fun I’ve already had on forza. Probably gonna give the ps4 whirl when the vr headset releases. Awful article by the way. I guess this was written by some work experience fan boy.

#43 10 months ago
  44. Cobra951

@Djoenz (#8)

Well, I do have empathy for them. I can imagine myself in their shoes, and how I would feel had I acted the same way as them. What I don’t have is sympathy. I don’t feel their pain at all. They paid for the privilege of being the first kids on the block with a new toy. They got what they paid for. They can’t change that now. Those of us who waited, and who are prepared to wait nearly another year, should get better prices, and less hassle obtaining the goods. I don’t understand the tone of this story at all.

#44 10 months ago
  45. Djoenz

@Cobra951
    I agree. Its the time frame that stings so it seems. VG247 is an UK site if Im not mistaken so it affects some of the staff directly I suppose. Opinion piece.

Conclusion 3 months time frame is way too soon.

#45 10 months ago
  46. Joe Musashi

@42 If your business is being a professional pro-Nintendo troll, it makes perfect sense.

As for this, I don’t think early adopters should feel too shafted. Early adopters tend to be the more hardcore and/or affluent of a demographic and I expect they’ve invested in their XBox Ones with eyes open. It’s not like a console dropping its price is something that never happened before.

That said, the short space of time and the flat out lie of a claim about how ‘its the only place to play all three titles’ isn’t helping matters.

An offering to early adopters in some form would look very good. I’m sure Microsoft have the logistics to pull it off, whether they care enough is another matter.

JM

#46 10 months ago
  47. POOhead

matt hating on xbox one again, lawl.
    although a price cut is unfair on thoughs who brought the new xbox, but saying its MS putting the middle finger to xbox early adapters is just a flamebait article as perusal from the staff of vg (except articles from Sam, Dave and Stephany) seriously early adapters are getting 30 quid knocked from them, if it was sumit along the lines as 90 quid or 100 then yes they are fucking them over but not the case here, you could sony is sticking there fingers up at there early adapters by purchasing some a fucked up controller then has alot of problems with it but you know.

#47 10 months ago
  48. Djoenz

@POOhead
    Do all phones automatically change Bought to Brought? I have seen many people on the net today typing up brought. Its weird,

Yes a friend of mine had a faulty controller. Got a new one replaced for free.

@JM
    He obviously is a white hatter that makes money nonetheless.

#48 10 months ago
  49. Dragon

@Mike W,
    Its hard for dear Francis . Please understand.
    The sales are down, defending the indefensible is a hard task.

@Djoenz,
    Truth hurts ;)

#49 10 months ago
  50. Francis O

@Dragon

I don’t give a Flying F**k about the Wii U sales. You seem to care more than I do. You’re always talking about sales. I just play and enjoy my games.

#50 10 months ago
  51. dontbescaredhomie92

It was over priced to begin with in the UK so it doesn’t come as a surprise to me, does it really warrant a slanderous rant of an article?
    Also £30 is hardly what I would consider drastic, fuck this editor, fuck his article and fuck the new VG247 for even letting this garbage infest what not too long ago was a great and impartial gaming website.

#51 10 months ago
  52. Francis O

@Mike W

I didn’t buy a SNES, N64, 3DS, GBA, or Gamecube at launch…. so you can believe whatever you want.

I bought a Wii at launch so I can play Zelda Twilight Princess.

I bought a Wii U at launch so I can cover it for my site, or I would have waited.

- Not only that, but this isn’t about the Wii U, its about the Xbox One. The moral of the story is don’t buy $500 consoles at launch.

#52 10 months ago
  53. lubu

i’m not even bothering to buy a next-gen console, but man this article is writen with so much hate and it is so childish and unprofessional just like an article about DeepDown because it has no female character (lol even comment section on that article was closed for some reason).

price cut is always welcome, if it’s comes early, if it comes only even with 20$ cut, or whatever. those people bought their consoles more expensive than now, so what ? they had their fun in past few months, they had their consoles day one, and it’s just a simple technology box that is going to drop even more in coming months or years, depends on competition and the market itself.

#53 10 months ago
  54. Ekona

Day One purchaser here. Not bothered at all, it was always going to happen. I’m still really happy with mine.

#54 10 months ago
  55. PEYJ

If PS4 is the fastest selling console (isn’t it?) then Xbox One must be the second fastest selling. I mean, 3,9 mio by the end of 2013 and in fewer territories; isn’t that a great number? The only reason I can see for this price cut is that Microsoft desperately want’s to win this generation in terms of shipped consoles. Otherwise this price cut seems premature from a turnover point of view.

#55 10 months ago
  56. Cort

And people complain about the Sony Defence Force. This comment string is hilarious. Mucho grande diversionary tactico, yes?

#56 10 months ago
  57. OneLifeCycle

Personally, I don’t believe the “day one” purchasers will really care much. After all, they bought a console that was less powerful on paper, had an awfully clumsy release with complete 180 degree changes in policy and was 100$ more than its direct competitor. Those people were loyal to the brand despite all of these things. I doubt they’ll lose any sleep over this.

#57 10 months ago
  58. Fethennour

Bravo, Microfail.

#58 10 months ago
  59. SlayerGT

@polygem @27 +1

#59 10 months ago
  60. Major Mayhem 70

Is this article serious?!? Core gamers know that going in on a console early means your susceptible to the choices that manufacturers make for the sake of “business”. Sony found itself cutting the price of the PS3 earlier than they had anticipated as well. The dynamics are a bit different this go around for both Sony and Microsoft. Let us remember that both systems launched literally days from one another, where as in the past one system would have a one year head start. That years lead gave the competing company the excuse to fall back on “well said company has been out a year earlier than us, so we like the numbers we’re seeing from our launch.” That isn’t going to cut it this time. Whichever company found itself looking at the tailpipes of the other company, (MS lagging behind Sony) was going to have to correct its course more so sooner than later. Evidently MS is ok with the numbers in North America, and not so happy with the UK numbers.

#60 10 months ago
  61. AppleRedX

Wow. Awesome. Cry me a river over £30 … which is a few beers on a evening pub tour.

Can we make the same drama for the Killzone/Infamous/whatever Bundle where u can save money too. Or is this now allowed by the holy rules of Sonytology?

#61 10 months ago
  62. Cort

@AppleRedX Yeah, because this is the same as a bundle.

#62 10 months ago
  63. tmac2011

i think thye really said F*** you when they started to talk abut tv ALOT and then flip flopped about you had to have internet to connect your xbox cuz of pirating games and such love the article title lol

#63 10 months ago
  64. antraxsuicide

I agree with most of the commenters. MS didn’t like the sales in that particular region, and cut the price. Early adopters should all know the score by now; you pay the premium price to have first crack at the content. The rest of us pay a smaller price for more content, just like a GOTY Edition of a game.

Next you’ll complain about not getting a custom edition X1. The idiocy.

As for the cut, it’s a smart move. Instead of just letting their system die out of hubris, they moved to react. Smart play. Adding in the biggest game of the spring, and they should see some great sales in the next few weeks.

#64 10 months ago
  65. fearmonkey

@polygem – You hit the nail on the head. The Xbox One was a middle finger to anyone like myself that absolutely loved the brand and wanted a powerful games machine. They took the brand that I loved and changed it, and Don Mattrick doesnt even have to deal with his choices since he left for Zynga… The poor other MS execs are left to deal with it.

Who didnt see this coming? I knew there would be a pricecut eventually, but not this soon. If it drops to $399 without Kinect in the US, I might actually get one this next fall.

#65 10 months ago
  66. polygem

@fearmonkey
    exactly. i was set to buy a x1 at launch. was a no brainer. loved the 360. the first x1 reveal with the focus on the tv stuff. that was the middle finger for me already. shame. the 360 was such an awesome console. they ruined it.

#66 10 months ago
  67. ysleiro

Nobody held a gun your head and forced you to buy a device on release day. You purchased it on your own accord. When the iPhone came out it was hella expensive. Later the price was dropped.

You bought it knowing full well better deals could and would come out. How soon they come out is irrelevant.

That’s the price you pay for being an early adopter. I waited apparently you should have as well. Stop writing stuff that makes you seem entitled. Stop it.

#67 10 months ago
  68. kisame

the whole article was a cry baby

dear god some one got but hunted
    man i could care less i got that machine to play forza 5 day 1 that’s all

#68 10 months ago
  69. The_Red

It’s funny how VG247 praises a Xbox One game like Titanfall, many commenters accuse them of being paid by MS (Being pro-MS). Then when VG criticizes Xbox One like this, the same commenters accuse them of being anti-MS.

The truth is that VG247 is like any other site and its writers express their opinions about various news in these separate articles. Most of the time, they are absolutely justified and spot on (Like this great read from Mr Martin).

#69 10 months ago
  70. zersus

I think Titanfall is nothing special, and it’s not even an anticipated game.
    DarkSouls2 on the other hand, can’t wait!

#70 10 months ago
  71. The_Red

@zersus Dark Souls 2 wipes the floor with all 3 major exclusives. Titanfall, Infamous Second Son and Donkey Kong TF are nothing against the power of souls. Can’t wait (Though I’m also dying to play South Park RPG).

#71 10 months ago
  72. Dave Cook

Last week we were being ‘paid off’ by Microsoft because we happened to enjoy the Titanfall beta.

Now were being ‘paid off’ by Sony and we’re Xbox One haters because of Matt’s *opinion* piece (which in no way represents the site’s stance as a whole)

Early adopters should always be aware of price drops…

…but not three months after their console launched.

Oh, and it’s not just £30 of difference. Its the headset, a month of XBL Gold and the game many early adopters bought their console for to begin with.

That aside, I *personally* feel the bundle is a smart play, and free Titanfall in the box is a positively mad bonus.

In plain English so you understand: opinion pieces *never* reflect the entire VG247 staff.

Funny how folk call something out as sensationalist because they disagree with the sentiment.

#72 10 months ago
  73. redwood

calm down matt. take a long breath…… now count back from 10… to 1.
    now repeat after me…. it’s gonna be ok.. everything’s gonna be ok.

#73 10 months ago
  74. redwood

on a serious note, if I had bought an xb1 at release , I would have shared the same sentiments

#74 10 months ago
  75. NocturnalB

Yeah it does feel like a big fuck you. But honestly what else can you expect from a desperate and utterly piss poorly run company. Steve Balmer fucked that company right into the ground and then about a mile deeper.

See if they had actually been a company that wasn’t literally, fully dis-attached both from reality and from itself, they might have functioned long enough to have the foresight to plan for all of this a very long time ago.

How did we NOT see this bullshit coming though? Back in May 2013, their new console wasn’t the big show on stage that day, that day was the day MS pulled back the curtains and revealed to the world what it had already been showing signs of for years.

They revealed a company that had LONG ago been afflicted by a cancer, a corporate one. And by the world saw the state of the company, the inner brain trust… Steve Balmer, Don Mattrick, etc. it was way past too late. MS was and is a bloated, diseased, and dying husk.

The leeches have killed that company, and they will continue to make horrifically bad decisions right on up till the day everyone is being hauled off to federal prison where they belong.

#75 10 months ago
  76. bobnice

I just don’t buy into this mentality. Middle finger to early adopters??? ……So should they not drop the price? Fuck it, keep it $500 and fuck those who would’ve bought it because of the price drop. To he’ll with everyone, keep it $500, Microsoft, so not to hurt the early adopters feelings! We don’t like price drops around here, and don’t give people free shit either. What a selfish mentality.

#76 10 months ago
  77. bobnice

@Nintendo1985 I agree

#77 10 months ago
  78. NocturnalB

@Dave Cook You could use the boldest, largest, ugliest font on the internet to make sure the words “opinion piece” stood out, and I’d bet you money about %80 of the echo chamber idiots that hit this site STILL wouldn’t get it. Look at this comments on this piece alone, a bunch of sheep echoing the opinion of the very first comment they saw in the top 5 that was actually genius enough to post his dribble before he even realized what “opinion” even means.

But hey big giant CLAP CLAP to you up there genius! You know who you are.

#78 10 months ago
  79. NocturnalB

@bobnice The point isn’t because of them simply dropping the price.

1. The price should have never been where it is to begin with which is the main point really.
    2. Yes! Price drops rock! It’s the fact that they continue to go back on what they say, they are not a professionally run business and haven’t been in many years.
    3. If they WERE a professionally run business they wouldn’t even HAVE To back peddle on almost every single fork-tongued thing they’ve said in the last 9 months.

The point is people aren’t just bitching just for the sake of it, they’re pissed because this should have never happened to begin with. They deserve the losses they are taking.

#79 10 months ago
  80. salarta

I see there’s a healthy dose of console war stupidity going on here as expected, how else can someone make a phrase like “Sonytology” in obvious reference to Scientology and do so with a straight face?

This seems like a very tricky play. Microsoft found themselves in quite the dire situations because they focused on the wrong things and marketed it in the exact wrong way. The casual consumer, which is the audience Microsoft actually wants, won’t adopt a console until later when there are more games on the market, the bugs are worked out, more services are available and it’s more affordable. Microsoft only truly came out on top last generation because they released well before Sony. Microsoft lost the time advantage due to the two systems coming out simultaneously.

They had an edge coming in due to potential brand loyalty, but everything from the massive uproar against planned DRM practices to fears about the forcibly bundled Kinect getting used for spying coalesced into a whole lot of reasons to avoid the Xbox One. As such, PS4 got framed as the console gamers prefer, and more gamers buying the console at launch translates to more people on the fence buying that console so they can play games with their friends that also have it.

There wasn’t really a good answer for this situation. Microsoft needed something to lure more people in before it was too late, and they needed it bad. This was the natural solution. Of course, if Microsoft doesn’t reward the early adopters in some way, they send a message that they don’t value those early adopters. And with major non-gaming services not launched yet for Xbox One, this only builds on the growing perception that if you truly care about games, Xbox One is not what you want to buy; it’s for the cheap seats that will buy any old thing with enough marketing and a low enough price.

No matter what they do, Microsoft ultimately loses here. The only thing they can do now is find ways to minimize the damage and hope for some way of turning things around.

#80 10 months ago
  81. NocturnalB

@AHA-Lambda The door is that-a-fuckin’ way buddy. ==>

#81 10 months ago
  82. NocturnalB

@Nintendo1985

If you can’t understand what opinion piece means then you should probably pick up a fucking dictionary. Anti-Xbox… Right. Just how last week they were anti-Sony. Hey can I ask you a truthful and honest question do you have a learning disability?

#82 10 months ago
  83. Quige

Don’t really care about the £30 price drop, but do feel a little bit bitter that all I got was a sodding FIFA effing 14 code (reminds self to look into selling that on e-bay), and now new buyers are going to get free Titanfall! Oh well, que sera sera ;)

#83 10 months ago
  84. RickGames

it is not the price cut or the fact that it is only in one territory which is probably the biggest after the US that is getting this deal, but the fact that it is 3 MONTHS after release.

3 months?! not even PCs get that raw of a deal. there is only another competitor, so a price cut in the middle of nowhere with the only game that will drive their sales this year being free, it smells desperate miles away, and if your desperate, fine, sell it like this, but sell it everywhere. TITANFALL a FREE TO PLAY game for XBOX ONE… now we are talking, otherwise, yeah, a FU to fans not in their favorable territories.

its a good deal for those who waited… its a bad shit deal for those who support MS no matter what.

#84 10 months ago
  85. polygem

too many fanboys on this page.
    there have always been fanwars going on here but not so bitter, without any humour, that´s what worries me a bit.

@Dragon and Joe: In 2 out of 3 threads you insult people. In thread number 3 you complain about others insulting people.
    you guys really make this page shine. keep it coming. it´s good stuff.

#85 10 months ago
  86. polygem

@polygem
    i wish i wouldn´t have said that. it was mean and unnecessary. i apologize. seriously.

#86 10 months ago
  87. OlderGamer

@Poly the site needs an edit button back. Pretty much a spot on observation tho. And Dragons Nintendo baiting has been legendary recently, I counted 7 references in three or four sentences yesterday. Made me laugh. Some posters fav game to play is: The Interwebz. And they keep trying to win!

#87 10 months ago
  88. polygem

can´t post? posted the same thing twice now. the article updated the posting numbers #88 and #89 but i cannot see the actual posts? censored? have you banned me now og? only fair :)

#88 10 months ago
  89. polygem

@polygem what the……….!!!
    ok, try again. last time.

it is just sad. i have no problem with fanboys. i don´t even have problems with people insulting each other once in a while, that´s tolerable. it just happens. saying sorry once in a while could help sometimes but many are too afraid to do that, thinking that if they do, they have lost some virtual argument. that is bullshit of course. it´s just basic interaction and communication. the moment you are giving something more personal away on this site, people will try to twist it and use it against you whenever they can while they are even too shy to share gamertags themselves, too afraid to stand up, chosing to hide behind their internet characters. not complaining about that. everyone is free to decide what he or she wants to share and what not of course but that´s how i think about this. they do not want to contribute, they want to win the internet. that´s not how i want to interact with people and that´s the reason why, while loving this site, i always get to a point of giving it up completely. so many good posters left. i miss da man too, he was an ass to everyone but he tamed the real trolls too. that was needed on this page imo. he was a catalyser :) what absolutely disgusts me is the passive aggressive, constant baiting, lying, twisting. i prefer the more straight forward form of confrontation.
    it´s just not playing it fair otherwise.
    can a guy like francis post anything without the regular haha rofl teenage who´s with me on that replies from some regulars? i don´t think so. it´s insane. good thing is, he´s clever enough to give a fuck about it now.
    i wish that the staff would learn to read between the lines a little more in the forums and then take action.
    the site still needs mods with more powers.
    it would be a shit job though :)

#89 10 months ago
  90. polygem

@polygem
    no, i can post these regular one liners but not my book of complaints???!!!
    get out of my computer guys!

#90 10 months ago
  91. OlderGamer

Prolly just some bugs still Poly, are you posting from Mobile or PC? I had some issues from my tablet, was with larger posts. No problems with my PC.

#91 10 months ago
  92. polygem

@OlderGamer
    yes, definitely a bug. in the article it says 93 posts, while yours is number 90 and the last one. mine never appeared, but nevermind, it´s probably better to leave it as it is anyway :)
    i am on pc atm. first time that i am experiencing some problems since the relaunch no matter if on pc or phone.

#92 10 months ago
  93. Legendaryboss

Holy crap 90+ comments for this. I guess thats something. In regards to the price cut, it was too soon, does reek of desperation and completely unexpected from my point my view.

Thats all i can agree on, i’m going to unsympathetic and say early adopters knew this was going to happen in regards to the price cut, but i suppose Titanfall + Membership does leave something to be admired from their POV. I suppose the quickness of it all does leave something to be desired.

#93 10 months ago
  94. Legendaryboss

@Legendaryboss From my point my view? See? This is why we need the edit button back.

#94 10 months ago
  95. stalepie

It’s just a game system. It’s a toy for teenagers to play in their spare time.

#95 10 months ago
  96. chowie91

Completely agree with this article, finding it hard to understand how anyone in the comments can’t see this lol, obviously blinded by fanboyism. Hopefully Microsoft will give us a controller and titanfall for free. Then I’d be cool with it. When I Bought the console, I thought a price cut would be at least a year down the line like most company’s, not 3 months away lol, that’s ridiculous

#96 10 months ago
  97. X14EVR

@stalepie

“It’s just a game system. It’s a toy for teenagers to play in their spare time.”

fuck you go die you piece of fucking shit the xbow is a powerhouse piece of tech that is hard to be rivalled you moron read up some facts before you spew out your fanboy pc elitist shit you cunt

#97 10 months ago