“I would like to step out from the Metal Gear franchise,” says Kojima

Monday, 24th February 2014 11:48 GMT By Dave Cook

Metal Gear Solid 5: Ground Zeroes director Hideo Kojima has revealed that he’d like to take a step back from his series as producer, so that he can concentrate on new games and ideas. So far however, any attempts at passing the torch have failed to bear fruit.

metal_gear_solid_5_ground_zeroes

First; why not check out my feed of every Metal Gear Solid 5 fact and rumour since the games were announced. No really, all of them. I must be insane…

Speaking with Game Informer, Kojima cited the example of Ridley Scott handing the keys to the Alien franchise over to James Cameron and added, “At Kojima Productions, if our studio were a kitchen and the head chef changes, then it changes the flavor and it changes. The world franchise usually becomes more open, as in Alien.

“To be honest, I’ve actually wanted to do something similar just to change it. I don’t know if the Metal Gear brand sometimes is a bit heavy to carry. The franchise is difficult to handle. But so far I’ve had no success [passing the torch]. Metal Gear Rising [Revengeance], fortunately that was a spin-off so that went well.

“Ideally I would like to step out from the Metal Gear franchise as a producer and dedicate myself to other games. So far that has proven to be a bit difficult. Alien is a very successful example [of a new director coming in]. Unfortunately in our case it’s more like Terminator, that once Cameron steps out of it there was kind of a mess.”

What does he want to work on? Kojima said he, “would like to make more games that have that indie game taste or some completely different type of game with a big budget,” and stressed, “If I wasn’t doing games, well of course I’d like to get involved in movies or write novels. I’m almost 50-years-old so I don’t have that much time left. If I were to write a list of things that I want to do before I die, it would be a very stuffed list. Because of my age I’m starting to think of the other things I have to do before I die.

“I’ve been working in the Metal Gear franchise for over 25 years. This world has allowed me to tell a lot of the things that I wanted to say. That said, it has a very specific worldview and a very specific set of game elements. I’ll probably be saying this until I die, but there are still more things I want to tell, more things I want to communicate, and more things I want to experiment with.”

Interestingly, he’d like to see Metal Gear Solid given the GTA approach, which is curious seeing as The Phantom Pain is open world to a point.

On that point Kojima concluded, “One thing is that within Kojima Productions I’d love to put all my efforts and time into creating a Metal Gear Solid that’s kind of what [Rockstar] does with GTA. Unfortunately, that’s not the case. It’s still a business. In parallel we have to work on other projects and make things balanced towards Konami as a whole. Finding that balance with how to work on all our projects proves to be a little difficult.”

Would you like to see Kojima move on to something else? How about Zone of the Enders 3? You guys still want that right?

Via OXM.

1. schrodinger_cat

Step out…to pick up Silent Hill, right, Kojima?
    Right!? :’(

#1 9 months ago
  2. Obernox

^^Hell Yeah!

#2 9 months ago
  3. SolidGamerSnake

I think the first time he said he wants to retire from Metal Gear was with MGS2.

And he always said he wanted to make movies, but that does not mean he could mess with MGS5 ( replacing David Hayter, making Ocelot look like his new voice actor)

Also comparing games on a single aspect is stupid ( open world) One might aswell say then that Skyrim and GTA are the same.
    The Metal Gear games always put a strong focus on the story, so unless he finds someone who can atleast create games that are not completely different from the originals, – it will turn into another mess like Revengeance

#3 9 months ago
  4. Panthro

Kojima leaving MGS…
    Dean Hall leaving DayZ…
    Ken Levine leaving Bioshock…

What the fuck is going on?

#4 9 months ago
  5. Fethennour

So Kojima wants to “step out from the Metal Gear franchise” ? Well, I can give him an advice : make that damn Zone of the Enders 3 we all want to see some day.

#5 9 months ago
  6. tmac2011

he did say he was leaving when metal gear solid 2, and i think 3. if he wants to leave i dont see why he doesnt after 5. but idk why he would in the first place he could design other games. dont think anything is stopping him?

#6 9 months ago
  7. Darkfield

@Panthro Wouldn’t it be funny if they all ended up forming a new studio together, an open-world survival mutiplayer game with fuck ton of stories to tell and mostly controversial ones. Oh the nerdgasm!

#7 9 months ago
  8. jon_

@Panthro Publisher pressure, thats what is happening.

#8 9 months ago
  9. salarta

Kojima’s been saying this for at least a decade if not longer.

But, I’m actually glad he’s sticking with the series if it doesn’t look like anyone’s able quite yet to pick up where he left off. I’ve seen how Final Fantasy, Silent Hill, Resident Evil, Tomb Raider, Parasite Eve, Devil May Cry, Soul Calibur and many other franchises have suffered in one way or another because the people that started them aren’t there to keep things on track. It’s likely the only reason Metal Gear Solid is still working out pretty well, same with Mario games.

It was a good effort to try to get company talent working on Rising, and I saw no precise problem with how it was shaping up at first (I liked the end result with Platinum, too), but I did get the impression by the way some of the guys working on the game talked that they didn’t really appreciate or respect the Metal Gear franchise as much as they needed to.

#9 9 months ago
  10. Rikki

Stop lying Kojima. You’ve been saying that since like Metal Gear Solid 2…

#10 9 months ago
  11. TheWulf

Can we have Platinum making all future Metal Gear games? Please? Please?

I get the feeling that Metal Gear is a bit too seriousfaced of late, it’s forgotten its own roots and where it came from. It was ultimately a very silly game and parodical. Then it became something else. Revengeance is a very truthful, earnest love letter to the Metal Gear games of yore. It remembers what made them so bloody great.

The more I’ve looked into Metal Gear, lately, the less I actually like what it’s become. I sat down to watch some of MGS4 and I found myself bored all too quickly, and I often love dialogue. It’s a weird transition, it reminds me of how Dragonball became Dragonball Z, and a similar thing happened there. I had a friend who was trying to convince me I’d love the original, and how it was nothing like Z. I was cynical at first because Z was too serious for its own good, and it was that sort of serious where it was ridiculous but it expected you to take it seriously. Kind of like Naruto and those other cartoons aimed at kids.

I’m not supposed to be laughing at this?

I don’t really like that. I mean, if it’s going to be ridiculous, you might as well play it up. And that’s what Revengeance did. And how. I loved the hell out of Revengeance. Right from Sam’s douchebag smile up to NANOMACHINES, SON.

Platinum really understands how to make an MGS game.

I don’t know that Kojima does any more.

We’ll see.

But if Kojima does move away from the IP, I say give that IP to Platinum. Platinum deserves it.

#11 9 months ago
  12. TheWulf

Also that.

Could we have Platinum making a Zone of the Enders game?

#12 9 months ago
  13. TheWulf

Also, for anyone who’s confused about my position regarding how MGS really isn’t quite MGS any more? Play the original Metal Gear Solid. Or just… watch the boss battles on Youtube. Everything from HURT ME MORE, SNAKE to plugging the controller into slot 2 so that Psycho Mantis couldn’t read your mind was played up for the laughs.

Then it all got too serious and too overblown, it started to take itself seriously, and that’s depressing and disappointing. A parody should never become something so straight faced. But then, I’m the sort of person who prefers ’60s Batman to modern Batman, so what do I know? I suspect I’m in the minority, but I loved Metal Gear Solid, so much.

Revengeance was, for me, a return to form. Just everything about it embodied the silliness of Metal Gear. So I find it hard to believe that Platinum didn’t respect or appreciate it. I mean… the otaku guard, the mariachi outfit, even the cardboard box for stealth. That’s Metal Gear. That’s a deep-seated love for and understanding of Metal Gear. What Metal Gear was, more than what it is. And I loved what Metal Gear was.

And I’ve found a thing that I think will help illustrate my point.

Compare and contrast the funny pages at TVTropes for Metal Gear Solid and Regengeance.

Metal Gear Solid
    Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance

It’s very clear that Platinum were oldschool Metal Gear Solid fans. From before the game became the equivalent of the Dark Knight Rises.

#13 9 months ago
  14. Armitage Shanks

Says Kojima for the…what is now? 100th time?

#14 9 months ago
  15. salarta

@TheWulf I think Kojima’s just trying to evolve on his scope. He’s getting older, he realizes there’s a lot he wants to do and say and he’s losing the time he has left to say it. It’s not as goofy, but I think that’s a reflection of how he wants to contribute something important.

It’s kind of the same thing as how Bleszinski doesn’t want Gears of War to be the only thing he’s known for.

#15 9 months ago