Titanfall Xbox One beta open to all, Respawn extends access for “at least a day”

Sunday, 16th February 2014 04:40 GMT By Matt Martin

EA and Respawn have opened up the beta for Titanfall to all Xbox One users this weekend and are extending it for “at least a day”.

Users do not need a code to download the beta, all you need do is sign in to your Xbox One and head to the ‘New Game Demos’ section. The PC beta is to open up later.

“Note: It may take some time until all Xbox One’s can see the demo in the store. Some members may see it before others. Until then just relax and rest assured everyone will see it soon,” said Microsoft’s Major Nelson.

You know about Titanfall by now, right? Here’s our hands-on impressions and gameplay videos.

The beta was due to run until February 18th, although Respawn’s Vince Zampella has suggested “we are going to extend at least a day, to make up for the down time.”

1. laxan96

Tips if you haven’t found it yet in the XBL store do “Xbox Bing” and then search for titanfall and you will see it wether or not you can dl it. And that way you will know the quickest when you can download it.

#1 9 months ago
  2. TD_Monstrous69

I got a Titanfall beta code, redeemed it, tried to install it, and apparently, my OS isn’t supported, even though it’s a 64-bit version of Windows 7. Could it be because it’s the Ultimate Edition? Tried contacting Origin about it, they told me there was nothing that they could really do about it. So now, my confidence isn’t all too high in buying Titanfall anymore if all I’ve got to look forward to is plopping down 60 bucks, and then finding out, hey wrong OS, you’re totally fucked, and can’t play this.

#2 9 months ago
  3. Hcw87

@TD_Monstrous69

I’m on Win7 Professional 64bit, no issues here atleast. I don’t see why the Ultimate Edition wouldn’t be supported.

#3 9 months ago
  4. Takeshi

TD_Monstrous69, yeah, I’m running Win7 HE 64-bit and no problems.

I tried running Crysis 3 beta on my school’s laptop, and it didn’t seem to run, I thought it was DirectX11. But then I bought it later and tried to run it, and apparently the card did have DX11. So I wouldn’t put it past for these betas to have some quirks.

Sorry that you’re missing out, the beta is a lot of fun.

I guess I’ll keep playing the beta for a few days. It’s my main source for fun right now. :)

#4 9 months ago
  5. Max Payne

@TD_Monstrous69
    DO you have installed SP1 and leatest windows update ? or stuff like DX, visual basic, net framework, video drivers … ?

#5 9 months ago
  6. Ireland Michael

Game is dull. It’s essentially CoD with mechs, as I feared it would be.

#6 9 months ago
  7. ddtd

@Ireland Michael – Doesn’t feel like COD to me. It’s much more fast paced, with lots of movement. The parkour is really cool. The game, run you’re a pilot, reminds me more of Brink than COD or BF4.

#7 9 months ago
  8. digmouse

@ddtd Yeah the Titan plays are Quake/Halo style duels, incrediblely fun and has a lot of strategical depth.

#8 9 months ago
  9. dontbescaredhomie92

and the fanboys hate…

#9 9 months ago
  10. bettyhlatham

hiii

#10 9 months ago
  11. TheKeyPit

My opinion: This is one of the best multiplayers I played since CoD:MW1.

PS: Does this beta show this so called classic multiplayer? What will be the difference between this and the campaign multiplayer?

#11 9 months ago
  12. polygem

i can´t understand how anyone can be impressed by this but then…i don´t have to.

#12 9 months ago
  13. polygem

would love to hear G1GAS 2 cents now :)

#13 9 months ago
  14. polygem

@polygem
    posted this in another thread but was meant to be here:

you´ve heard it here first: this is NOT a “hardcore” game, this is the definition of a casual shooter. nothing wrong with that but this is as laid back and unchallenging as possible. it was clearly the goal to make this game playable for everyone, again, no problem, but do not expect some depth in this one. it´s a casual shooter through and through, from menues to gameplay. nothing hardcore about this game at all. it´s a mainstream game like mario but with guns and mechs…mario is more challenging though. much more.

#14 9 months ago
  15. Ekona

@polygem Probably true. I hate shooty MP games, but I’ve really enjoyed this. Am bloody awful at it, but I felt like it was something different I’d not experienced before.

I wouldn’t buy it as I don’t care for MP games as I said, but for a quick blast over the weekend it’s been a hoot.

#15 9 months ago
  16. dkpunk

@polygem True it’s not as hardcore as some. It’s no Battlefield, more like a Modern Warfare 2.0. This is by no means a bad thing. When MW first came out it was great, but of course the series stagnated. This is a logical extension and just damn fun as hell. I can’t understand how anyone can’t not be impressed with TF.

#16 9 months ago
  17. Arcnail

Anyone calling it CoD with mechs clearly haven’t played it.

Must only have a PS4 or something? No PC even?

#17 9 months ago
  18. Tyrantsoul

@Arcnail Have both Xbox One,Ps4 and PC.Why this has any bearings I don’t know.And having played every CoD since the 1st(not impressed by the last few to be fair) I can say it is CoD with mechs only slightly faster and abit more jumping.The parkour reminds me a little of Brink.The A.I is very bad too.I will say the most fun I had in it was Titan v Titan as it reminded of the old days of Quake online.Thats not enough to warrant a purchase.

Also I find full price silly for basically CoD without SP/Co-Op/Zombies.

#18 9 months ago
  19. Tormenter

Screw Titanfall… Blackguards is awesome, play that instead.

#19 9 months ago
  20. polygem

i am with tyrantsoul and mike on this one. to me it also feels like a cod with mechs. that must not be a bad thing at all. depends on what you want from the game. in fact, i believe that´s exactly what they´ve tried to achieve here.
    i agree with ekona too. i think it´s a game that can be a blast to pick up and play (in short bursts).
    i just can´t see myself getting into this.
    there are so many other games that seem to be worth my gaming time much more. i am personally drifting away from the more fast paced stuff anyway atm, thinking about getting into slower paced, tactical shooters. arma maybe (don´t fancy these military settings though).
    to me the beta is a bit disappointing. it´s not bad, just very mediocre. i think the game can be fun but at the same time it´s so depressingly uninspired and just not exciting to play. you sit back, shoot stuff, blow shit up and it feels like the game plays itself really. you just constantly shoot at everything that moves and you are getting tons of easy kills. sounds like fun right? yeah, it is….but not for longer playing sessions. it also looks only decent. the artdesign is really nothing to go crazy about imo, sounddesign is also pretty much standard.
    i don´t know why i should play this instead of say…halo reach. reach clearly is a better game. in my book. so are many others. this is why i think titanfall is a disappointment. feel free to disagree. i personally do not feel like supporting this at all.

#20 9 months ago
  21. Doppleganger

Such a great game but doesn’t really give satisfaction of accomplishment. I find it so much fun but way too arcady for my liking

#21 9 months ago
  22. fengato

My thoughts paraphrased from forum:

Feels super frantic and spammy. In order to boost my feelings of accomplishment I’ve moved to hunting pilots – I simply ignore the silly AI bots. I also put my Titan in follow, as I don’t personally enjoy the mech combat all that much. Problem is that after a few mins most of the six opposing players are in their titans (that’s when the fun evaporates for me.)

It’s a solid game, though certainly not a system seller or the next big thing in my view. I’ve pre-ordered for Origin (as it has excellent controller support) though I’m thinking I’ll only get a week or so out of it. Bring on Destiny…

#22 9 months ago
  23. polygem

@fengato
    controller support is indeed very smooth and flawless. you can even be competitive with a 360 pad on the pc. it works really well and it feels just like playing on a home console if you use a gamepad.

#23 9 months ago
  24. Hcw87

That’s because of the insane aim assist. Using a controller is NOT a hard thing to do, whatever the PC Elitists say.

Killzone Shadowfall doesn’t have aim assist, and you can really notice it if you play it. Far more challenging.

#24 9 months ago
  25. polygem

@Hcw87
    sure.
    i am new to the pc…or more like, new again. i didn´t really play on the pc the last 10 years or so.

this is why for many pc games i still use a controller. for some i definitely prefer using a controller and probably always will.

the m/k vs controller debate for shooting games is a tricky one.

m/k obviously is more precise but the fact that on consoles almost everyone uses the same peripherals can make it a better competitive situation really.

aim assist is not a problem if everyone uses it. you still have a competitive game where, most of the time, the better player wins.

on pc you have guys with two titans and 120fps, the best mechanical gaming keyboard, 150 euro mouse, playing against the budget gamer running everything on 25 frames….you know.

on pc the guys who have the edge on the hardware side clearly have an advantage in the game. let me dare to say. competitive pc gaming can be pay to win.

what i am trying to say is, while the control scheme of m/k might be more precise and overall just a better way to play competitive shooters on – in reality that must not be the case.
    if that makes any sense :)

the consoles create an enviornment where every player has the same experience and that´s a huge plus for having a fair, balanced competitive mp experience. auto aim or not.

#25 9 months ago
  26. polygem

let me take halo as an example. sure it has auto aim but at the same time this game has (for it´s genre) a pretty steep learning curve.

auto aim does not mean that your sights automatically zoom in on your foes head as soon as he appears on the edge of your screen. sometimes pc guys make it sound like that :)

in halo you have to work harder for your kills, with the shields and all that. imo it´s a pretty tactical, while still fast paced game but i know that is a whole new discussion ;)

i needed a long time to get into this game and become better and i still wouldn´t say that i am a vet halo player, just a decent one.

auto aim doesn´t really make the game easier for the player. not one single bit. it only helps to make the experience more smooth. it tries to eliminate the natural disadvantages of a controller and if it finds the soft spot thats absolutely fine…then the controller set up indeed CAN be a beter way to play because controllers have a lot of advantages too like movement with an analog stick, real triggers for aiming and shooting, being able to have a more laid back sitting position etc.

also, that´s my dogma for quite some time now. if you are good at shooters you are good at shooters. no matter if you play on pc or console. you´ll need a little time to adjust to the different controlls but after that you will be a good player again.

being good in shooters is a lot about practice anyway. experience just helps.
    again, i want to get that out of the way: i am personally just an average fps player :)

but i´ve played them on pc and on consoles. both can be fun. that´s the essence of it all really.

#26 9 months ago