Xbox One disc-free console – analyst weighs in on rumor

Thursday, 30th January 2014 19:29 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Last night, a rumor surfaced that Microsoft was preparing to release a white 1TB Xbox One at retail, without a disc drive. Today, Wedbush Morgan analyst Michael Pachter has called the idea “dumb, dumb, dumb,” yet has also dismissed it as a complete rumor.

white xbox one

Speaking in an industry note, Pachter said if even true in the slightest, it would alienate not only retailer customers, but comsumers as well.

“If this rumor is true, it is one of the dumbest ideas of all time,” he said. “It would alienate GameStop and other retailers, and it would demonstrate that Microsoft can afford to release a 1TB Xbox One at $399 with essentially the same production cost as the $499 model with a 500GB HDD and a Blu-ray drive.

“That would likely cause gamers to believe that the model with a Blu-ray drive is overpriced, or would cause them to believe that Microsoft is greedy.

“I have three words for this idea—dumb, dumb, dumb.”

Pachter said he respects the people at Microsoft “immensely” and that they are “far from dumb.”

“I don’t actually believe the rumor,” he stated.

Rumors of the console were posted on both The Verge and NeoGAF last night, with the later’s source stating the console could launch as soon as October.

1. wamp

I will trade that blue-ray drive for more storage any day.

#1 9 months ago
  2. OmegaSlayer

Most of all it would show that MS never really retreated from his DRM position.
    Which most know it’s the truth

#2 9 months ago
  3. feleciajones

just as Randall explained I didnt even know that a single mom able to get paid $9376 in 1 month on the internet . try this site>>> http://www.T­E­C­8­­0.C­O­M

#3 9 months ago
  4. Doppleganger

Keep telling consumers what they want Microsoft.
    That is the version I wanted from day one! I own 5 games on my xbox one and all of them being digital copies.

#4 9 months ago
  5. revsouly

All digital will not work everywhere. Here in the U.S. most all providers have a data cap. The best price I have in my area is $80 /month for 25mb download with a cap of 300Gb.

Using netflix, hulu, cell, tablet, 5 person household…all digital console is not going to work. Battlefield was an 18gb install! 5% of my limit on 1 game.

#5 9 months ago
  6. BrokenSpline

@revsouly

“Here in the U.S. most all providers have a data cap.”

Not sure where you live but in Arizona, California and Nevada where I have lived in there was no such data cap. But yes if your ISP has a data cap no one will be downloading games.

#6 9 months ago
  7. Pytox

@OmegaSlayer because of this all sales will go through them and they can ask any price for their digital games, it’s probably the same they want to do with win 8 and gaben saw it coming miles away

#7 9 months ago
  8. revsouly

@BrokenSpline , I wish I had what u have out there…here Michigan, Ohio, Indiana we have just a few choices…either they are incredibly slow or really expensive..with caps.
    believe me, I shop around constantly

#8 9 months ago
  9. Gheritt White

Microsoft should just quietly exit the console race – their time is all used up, just like their creativity.

#9 9 months ago
  10. Cobra951

I agree with Pachter, for once. It can only happen if Microsoft had a serious brain drain. That disc games and no online DRM are console requirements has already been decided.

#10 9 months ago