Sections

Nintendo dimisses report that it’s bringing content to mobile platforms

Tuesday, 28th January 2014 15:30 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Nintendo has said Nikkei’s report that it is prepping to bring mini-games to mobile devices is inaccurate.

nintendomariogenericgamechar

In a statement provided to Engadget, a Nintendo representative stated that the Nikkei report cited comments make by president Satoru Iwata in previous investor meetings and press conferences.

“Nikkei’s article contains information previously stated by Mr Iwata during past press conferences, including statements which relate to Nintendo’s willingness to make use of smart devices to promote our products,” said the representative.

“However, during such past announcements Mr Iwata has also stated that Nintendo’s intention is not to make Nintendo software available on smart devices and as such, we can confirm that there are no plans to offer minigames on smartphone devices.”

Back on January 17, during an investor’s meeting, Iwata said going third party was not something Nintendo was planning to do, but instead the firm was looking at how smart devices could be used to grow the game-player business.

Iwata further iterated it that expanding its business model was not as “simple as enabling Mario to move on a smartphone.”

Nintendo will post its financial results for the third quarter tomorrow.

Breaking news

6 Comments

Sign in to post a comment.

  1. POOhead

    would selling there thing where they make consoles and handhelds prove that the rumoured next console and handhelds could be true lol

    #1 6 months ago
  2. mistermogul

    I love the way corporations always say “we don’t comment on rumor and speculation” and then go and comment on rumor and speculation!

    #2 6 months ago
  3. ManuOtaku

    Is it me or they arent denying anything here when they say it is based on what Iwata told, they will promote their games on mobile but not release games on mobile. To me we are as we were with this statement.

    #3 6 months ago
  4. OmegaSlayer

    Bah…
    One of the most revered games from the “hardcore” Nintendo community is Xenoblade which on Wii (over 100 millions pieces sold) was purchased by 1 million of people.
    Mario doesn’t sell anymore.
    Nintendo only stands on its feet because of Pokemon and kids.
    Anyway, they’re gonna pick their poison.

    I also think that the loyal fanbase don’t help them.
    When I read that people who bought a WiiU instead of saying how much the ecosystem is broken would purchase a new Nintendo system next year, I can’t help but facepalm.
    Nintendo could make the most powerful system ever and still fuck it up.

    Wii was a luck shot, a system sold to geezers, households, MILFs and loads of people that keep it in their storeroom gathering dust.
    The same Nintendo understood that motion control gets old after a couple of weeks and that’s why WiiU is not built around that.
    Gamecube sales is the best Nintendo can hope to achieve.

    #4 6 months ago
  5. antraxsuicide

    @OmegaSlayer They’ll be lucky for GC sales at this point. EA is already predicting that the PS4 and X1 will pass the Wii U in sales by the end of March. That’s not an analyst with an agenda, it’s a publisher just stating in passing the install base they expect to have by April.

    If Nintendo doesn’t wake the hell up, they’ll lose what little relevance they have left. That’s the issue, which is much more pressing than money. No one cares about them anymore. They straight-up didn’t do anything for E3 last year, and they only got a few articles about it. 5 years ago, the shitstorm that would’ve caused would be online for months. People just don’t care anymore.

    #5 6 months ago
  6. SplatteredHouse

    Wall Street Journal is live-blogging the Nintendo Strategy Briefing, right now, in the event you want to see what’s said:
    http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2014/01/29/live-nintendos-strategy-briefing-to-address-future-direction/

    #6 6 months ago