Etherium: sci-fi RTS gets its first trailer & details

Friday, 17th January 2014 12:18 GMT By Dave Cook

Etherium is the new sci-fi RTS from Stellar Impact developer Tindalos Interactive, and its just received its first trailer, along with a handful of details. Watch the clip here.

In a press release sent to VG247 today, publisher Focus Home Interactive explained that the game takes players to seven planets – the one seen above is the desert planet Serenade. The planets are home to a valuable resource called Etherium and three warring factions are fighting to gain control of the substance: The Consortium, Council and Galaad – The game’s non-linear single player campaign sees you waging that war to control the map as you see fit, and you’ll need to manage resources and build your forces to match all opposition.

Etherium also has a dynamic weather system that impacts gameplay. It’s possible to use a sandstorm to stealthily ambush the opponent, or wait for rivers to freeze before rolling right over them. There’s swamps, deserts, island clusters and other terrain types to shake things up during battle. You can train infantry, build vehicles and create giant war machines using scientific tech trees and colony upgrades.

The game’s in development now and we’ll have more as it comes. What do you think so far?

1. GrimRita

All sounds very generic. I haven’t seen an RTS since Universe at War where the factions actually ALL play differently, requiring different play styles and resources.

That’s where the future is in RTS, not some Dune 2000 wannabe.

#1 9 months ago
  2. Ghostly

I’m gonna take generic if you’ll allow me. RTS games are all but extinct now. Base building games have died out about the time of that game you mentioned, Universe at War. And, what is generic these days anyway? How can it be generic if there aren’t any other games to compare it to? Emperor from Westwood was like 13 years ago and dune 2000 15yrs ago. They have my aprooval to copy that terain, it looks good. I’ll take this game so please make it good.

#2 9 months ago
  3. GrimRita

I don’t have a problem with base building, infact I love it. One of the reasons why Dawn of War 2 was utter shit, is because they removed it from the game – and I think DoW 1 is the 2nd best RTS ever.

Generic belongs to factions. The same faction in a different skin, gathering the SAME resources, requiring the SAME play style. Universe at War had 3 unique factions and they all played very differently.

One required power/pylons, one was a base on legs you upgraded and one was the traditional ‘Human’ race.

If this game is going to be a single player campaign, claiming to be non-linear is a joke. The only way it can be different, is IF the factions have unique play styles giving players a reason to play them all.

#3 9 months ago
  4. deathm00n

I will never be satisfied with any RTS until I get Warcraft 4. I tried many to match the gameplay of Warcraft 3 and none of them does.

#4 9 months ago
  5. Raynor

It reminds me of StarCraft 2: WoL.

#5 9 months ago
  6. trinsan76

It’ll take A LOT to really push RTS to a new and different level. I’m yet to see something really push it onwards. SC2, DoW whatever.. they are all so very close to their historic counterparts Dune 2, C&C and the original SC.

There’s still so much space for innovation, and yet what I see, regardless of most genres, are near to clones only with different story lines and graphics.

Yeah, I’m a pessimistic old coot, I know, I’d just prefer seeing this genre moving on.

#6 9 months ago
  7. GrimRita

I would love another Star Wars: Supremacy/Rebellion. Given todays PC power, upgraded graphics, better UI – that is probably the best RTS I have ever played as a 2 player online game.

#7 9 months ago