DayZ alpha has sold a million copies in four weeks

Tuesday, 14th January 2014 00:17 GMT By Mike Irving

Wondering why it’s so hard to stay alive in Chernarus? Because there are literally a million people out there trying to kill you over a can of beans.

CEO of Bohemia Interactive, Maruk Spanel, announced via Twitter today that the DayZ standalone alpha has sold more than one million copies in its first four weeks on sale.

That’s an impressive feat for any game, let alone one that’s nowhere near finished, and actively tells you on its Steam page not to buy it yet. Despite its price not being reduced, DayZ managed to stay on top of the Steam best-seller charts for much of the recent holiday sale.

Thanks, PC Gamer.

1. Tavarish

Make news about DayZ Alpha sales, but put in picture that is from WarZ’s PR material.

Not sure if accidental or Mike trolling.

#1 7 months ago
  2. pocketads

Makes me want a PC! Now you are minted, Xbox One version please guys!

#2 7 months ago
  3. Mike Irving

@Tavarish: Oops. It was entirely accidental.

It’s been changed now. Thanks for the pick up!

#3 7 months ago
  4. Panthro

The DayZ mod was the initial reason I decided to build a gaming PC…

Never looked back, best decision I have ever made in relation to gaming.

#4 7 months ago
  5. Christopher Jack

@4, Poor reason to spend several hundred(thousand?) on a rig but if it makes you happy. At the very least you get cheaper, better looking games on PC, though there’s the odd awful PC port. Anyone else played Dark Souls on PC? It’s fucking hideous & I just didn’t expect graphics like that from a 2012 game. Not normally a snob but I do take issue when a modern game looks like that, is choppy as shit & requires GFWL even if you bought it on Steam(Seriously? Maybe forgivably in 2008 but not 2012).

#5 7 months ago
  6. Ireland Michael

Yeah, I don’t get the fad about this game.

Its dull, buggy, ugly graphics, had terrible AI, and looks cheap looking. It’s the epitome of mediocrity… and yet it sells like hot cakes,

#6 7 months ago
  7. UuBuU

@6 No, Bioshock Infinite is the epitome of mediocrity. Or if you would prefer the epitome of absolute garbage, go play Ryse: Sons of Rome.

DayZ is one of the few games bold enough to go against the bullshit trends of AAA gaming.

#7 7 months ago
  8. Takeshi

@6: New Black.

I think DayZ might be what I wished I Am Alive was. This vast world where you just tried to survive. You could team up with folks and move in groups.

A place where the players “created content”. I think that’s what DayZ is and why it’s so popular.

It’s the same reason why State of Decay was so well-received. It feds into this experience people have been looking for.

@5: Dark Souls was released in 2011. Yes, PC version in 2012, but they already told us it would be a bare-bones port.

#8 7 months ago
  9. Christopher Jack

@8, It was less than bare bones. Surely even the console versions looked better otherwise I can’t understand all the reviews praising the graphics.

#9 7 months ago
  10. Takeshi

@9 If anything it looked a lot better on PC due to the fix.

#10 7 months ago
  11. Christopher Jack

@10, I have the fix, it looks as bad as mediocre MMO, are the console version that ugly? Also it’s still awful to play without a controller, doable but awful.

#11 7 months ago
  12. dkpunk

Dark Souls isn’t about the graphics. They’re pretty standard. Nothing to get excited about. The bosses are very well done though. It’s mainly the gameplay that shines. It’s the risk taking and finely tuned combat that makes the game addictive. I’m not sure how the game plays or looks on the pc but, I know I wouldn’t want to play without a controller.

#12 7 months ago
  13. Panthro

Like I said it was an ‘initial’ reason, Once I thoroughly looked into whats better about gaming with a PC I found a lot more reasons.

Nah I disagree, as a game Dark Souls was amazing and the port we got on PC was IMO just as badly optimised as the console version, what PC got was just a straight port with none of the extra features that should come with any other PC game, hence the 720p 30fps lock, muddy textures and shite anti-aliasing… Just like the 360 version I i initially had.

#13 7 months ago