PS Vita: “People look at it as the iPod of handheld gaming,” says Sony boss

Monday, 13th January 2014 12:16 GMT By John Robertson

Second screen for PS4 or console in its own right? UK MD Fergal Gara discusses the future of the PS Vita and why Sony has “done our damndest to do a good job” for gamers.

The PS Vita was, is, and perhaps always will be, the video gaming equivalent of a box of chocolates. With touch pads, OLED screens, analogue sticks, gyroscopic motion and cross-platform compatibility, Sony has tried to fit every flavour a gamer could want into one shiny, near-HD package.

Two years on from its launch in Europe and – perhaps as a result of the smorgasbord of features and fiddly bits – many consumers are still seemingly somewhat confused by what the Vita actually is. Sure, it’s a handheld console, but is it the true successor to the PSP? Is it the rival to the 3DS? Is it the answer for people bored of smartphone games? Is it a multimedia device? More recently, is it primarily a companion device to the PlayStation 4? Well, in true Sony fashion, it’s all of them. At least, it’s trying to be all of them.

“A lot of our discussions with developers don’t centre around developing games to better suit digital or physical purchases, or even centre around developing specifically for the PS Vita.”

I sat down with PlayStation UK’s Managing Director Fergal Gara to talk about the Vita’s past and future focus, it’s current position within the PlayStation family and how shifts in consumer behaviour are changing the landscape for handheld devices.

Now that is has been on the market for a considerable length of time, what does Sony see as the Vita’s role? “I do actually think Vita has various roles it can play,” Gara tells me. “For the core gamer, being able to deliver things like first-person shooter games to a high standard – either by Remote Play or with a game like Killzone: Mercenary – is important and that helps satisfy those kinds of players.

“Clearly, now the price point is lower it’s open to more players and a younger audience. Games like Tearaway straddle various age groups and appeal to lots of different kinds of people, as does LittleBigPlanet. So the Vita really isn’t just for a certain kind of person.”

Given its range of capabilities, it’s no surprise to hear that console is aimed at a wide audience. The problem with this is that over its two years of existence sales figures have been lacklustre, only seeing significant upswings during big events such as the launch of the console itself and Christmas. In no way has Vita replicated the past commercial success of the PSP, and devices aimed at wide audiences don’t tend to shoot for lacklustre sales as a goal.

“In all honesty, higher sales would have been what we had hoped for,” Gara concedes. “The market Vita entered was more complicated than it was when the console was originally thought about and designed. Games on tablets and phones have changed the marketplace and people can’t carry too many things around at one time.

“The truth is that the number of people that want the core experience [that Vita offers] is not as big as the number that simply want any sort of game available on the move and, because the likes of a tablet and smart phone are so multifunctional in their use, they will always be very appealing.

“Really, I think the reason it hasn’t sold more is that it comes down to people thinking: ‘Do I need it as well as these other things that are taking my money?’”

Up until now, Vita has been largely an isolated proposition. Yes, there are some Remote and Cross-Play options between the handheld and the PS3, but in Gara’s own words, “the truth is that the two [PS3 and Vita] are completely different architectures, we knew that it could be much better and it was reasonable to expect we could do it much better.”

With the release of the PS4, and the significantly more solid communication between it and the Vita, the question is now not limited to whether or not you need a Vita in addition to your phone/tablet, but whether you need a Vita to supplement your home console.

Gara confides that the Vita’s design team were well aware of the existence and direction of the PS4 before work even began on the portable, allowing for much greater connectivity between the two – predominantly in the form of Remote Play, at present.

“We always planned for Remote Play with the PS Vita and PS4,” Gara continues. “From an architecture point of view, that compatibility between the two was always designed into the Vita’s system. By the time PS Vita development started we were well into the development path of the PlayStation 4, so things were very much designed to work together.”

If you’ve had the chance to test Remote Play between PS4 and PS Vita then you’ll know it works very well, so long as the two machines are connected to the same Wi-Fi network. Sony know that it works very well, too, which is why they’ve been so keen to stress the feature and its quality in its marketing and general consumer communications. In fact, Sony has been talking about the Vita’s Remote Play functionality to such an extent that the handheld is in danger of being pigeonholed primarily as a second-screen device for PS4.

This is an issue not lost on Gara, going so far as to say that I’m “correct to highlight that, and it’s our job to make the message clear to people so that they understand the Vita is a console in its own right and also a great partner to the PS4.”

Great partner, standalone console or both, what is not up for debate is that user satisfaction with Vita is extremely high. You’ll be hard pressed to find a Vita owner today that regrets their purchase, although thoughts on this issue do vary depending on at what price point the console was purchased.

Following a fantastic launch line-up that included the likes of Uncharted: Golden Abyss, WipEout 2048 and Everybody’s Golf, it’s true that the quality of software releases did see a dip after that initial month or two, but the past twelve months have seen a host of stunning releases.

In big part, the explosion of worthwhile content on Vita has been down to a concerted effort from Sony to get indie developers more involved with the console. This has seen Hotline Miami, Limbo, Spelunky, Terraria and more released on the system, not as hastily glued together ports but as commendable releases in which arguments can be legitimately made for each attaining the status of ‘definitive release’. Hotline Miami, in particular, thrives on the system; its short, sharp, start-restart nature and heavily stylised visuals are perfectly in line with Vita’s strength as a portable device.

Given how much more diverse and interesting the Vita’s catalogue has become since indie developers have been seduced to creating more content for the platform, it’s difficult not to be excited about what the future holds. It’s also not especially surprising that it’s taken this long for things to get genuinely interesting.

In a similar way to the PS3, the Vita represents a piece of hardware that is extremely impressive but one that, when first made available, developers had little idea how to make best use of. Now that we’re seeing an understanding from game designers about how to go about picking and choosing which of the handheld’s elements fit their project (rather than trying to make a game around the hardware), third-party games feel like genuine games rather than elaborate tech demos.
It seems that in part this content improvement stems from the fact that Sony doesn’t necessarily talk to developers about specifically how to make use of the handheld’s functionality.

“A lot of our discussions with developers don’t centre around developing games to better suit digital or physical purchases, or even centre around developing specifically for the PS Vita,” explains Gara. “We talk a lot with developers about developing the best games for PlayStation in general and how we can properly map any ideas that they may already have to a platform or multiple platforms.”

Certainly, the idea that developers are not asked to shoehorn their ideas into the structures and confines of the Vita (or any of Sony’s consoles) is an ideal that is sure to go down well with gamers. Gara is well aware of the importance of such an approach and is open about where the company’s focus has been spent:

“I think we’ve done a good job on the PlayStation brand and it seems to have gone down well that PlayStation is rejuvenating itself and we’re re-doubling efforts to engage gamers.

“Whilst PS4 is the spearhead of our campaign, we’ve worked hard to show the right level of humility and focus and that we’re absolutely targeted at gamers and we’ve done our damndest to do a good job for them. We’ve talked the talk and we’ve walked the walk for gamers, and that is really coming through – that must be generating more love for PlayStation and that includes people exploring more of our products, including PS Vita.”

Exploring hardware is one thing, but exploring software is another. Each of the aforementioned indie titles are available only as a digital download available via the PlayStation Store, an avenue that Vita has always been greatly focused on and (given that digital-only games tend to have lower price points) encourages owners to try things they otherwise might avoid or not even have knowledge of.

“Compared to PS3, Vita has had a higher percentage of games bought digitally since it was first launched,” says Gara, “it’s interesting and it demonstrates how many people look at it as the iPod of handheld gaming. More Vita games are still consumed through physical game cards than they are through digital, but things are increasingly moving the other way. Could be that in future physical games becomes the side we do without.”

With the increase in digital consumption, the launch of the PS4 and a recent price cut, the future of the Vita, when viewed through the eyes of a hardcore gamer, looks to be attractive. As Gara has explained, though, the proliferation of other portable devices means it’s a tough sale for the general consumer.

It could well be that the Vita goes down in history as the handheld that time forgot, a brilliant piece of hardware with a great selection of games that found itself in the wrong place at the wrong time. Whatever the case, while the past two years of Vita have been hit and miss from a commercial perspective, there’s no denying the success of the machine in its ability to entertain and more than fulfil its promise of being a home console-quality handheld.

If it’s still doing the rounds two years from now the video game landscape will be a better and more diverse place as a result.

1. Pytox

if i would get a vita and probably will be sometime i will have a huge library of games to play causae of plus :P

#1 12 months ago
  2. Ireland Michael

Great interview.

Vita has been my primary gaming device since I bought one a few months ago.

It has an insane range of great games on it from almost every genre. The screen on the thing has the best colour range I’ve ever seen on any screen. Ever. It really is a beautiful little device.

I know it’ll never be 3DS levels of popular, but I can’t help but enjoy the hell out of it.

#2 12 months ago
  3. Dragon

“Sony has “done our damndest to do a good job” for gamers.”
    Puh please. Its PSP all over again. Sony forgot it existed when PS3 sales were seriously lagging, and only returned to it when PS3 sales increased.

Now, all 1st party devs are working on PS4 games, essentially meaning none of them are on Vita.
    Thanks Sony. You deserve the failure, as much as I like the system which will probably be the best handheld ever for me by the time it finishes its lifecycle.

Long live the Vita, the Vita is dead.

#3 12 months ago
  4. The_Red

Do you have Spelunky or not? Because if not, I’ll have to destroy your Vita!

#4 12 months ago
  5. monkeygourmet

I thought the ‘iPod’ was the ‘iPod’ of handheld gaming?

Anyway, great device with great titles coupled with poor (initial) price point and expensive memory cards (the bane of a handheld console, those ‘hidden’ extras).

You could also argue that it was ahead of it’s time graphically and the cost / scope of games on the device were too high for many devs (or what people actually wanted), but I don’t really have anything to back that up.

I for one don’t like the AAA titles (Uncharted) on Vita as much as games like Tearaway which take advantage of the platform fully.

#5 12 months ago
  6. OmegaSlayer

I purchased a Vita for the same reasons of Pytox and…I for once totally agree with Ireland M.

I was very skeptic about Vita, hell, when it was released I bought an iPod instead for other reasons (plugging a guitar into it to play with different programs).

In November I picked a Vita because I had loads of games from PS+ the ones that were given in the pack (Wipeout, LBP and more) and the remote play feature.
    I must say that the system is incredible, would love to play every game on Vita and I always hated handhelds.

PSVita won’t ever have Pokemon which raises the install base by 10-15 millions, so won’t ever get the same support of Nintendo handhelds.
    The install base won’t ever be there, but the system is WOW.

#6 12 months ago
  7. Joe Musashi

I think people look at it as the Zune of handheld gaming. If they look at it at all.

JM

#7 12 months ago
  8. Ireland Michael

@The Red, Yes, I have Spelunky. =P The handheld format suits the game really well.

My ID is “wordsofivory”, is you want to add me.

@Joe Except the Zune had the misfortune of actually being shit. The Vita at least has quality.

#8 12 months ago
  9. dizzygear

@3 Cant agree more. I never see adds for the thing on TV or see some effort of SCEE’s part. You know its sad when Persona 4 Golden *finally* goes on sale and its still cheaper to get an US import copy of that game.

All of the good Vita games remain in Japan and despite repeated requests Sony still refuses to allow multiple accounts on the thing so we can actually play those without jumping through hoops to switch accounts.

Also funny its the UK branch saying this. We all know SCEE does not give a rats ass about us and puts in 0 effort for us while the SCEA and SCEJ zones get all the good stuff like getting their games on time, decent sales and physical versions of games instead of lousy digital only.

#9 12 months ago
  10. tenthousandgothsonacid

It’s main problem is the millions of people like me, who bought a PSP and then realised, once the novelty had worn off, that we never used it.

I might get one as a second screen for a ps4 at some point though…

#10 12 months ago
  11. monkeygourmet

One thing I have to say that I hate about the Vita…

It’s soooo uncomfortable for me to use. Serious handcramps unless I use the Hori grip, even then it’s not perfect.

I was playing Muramasa last night and was getting serious claw fist trying to do certain combos.

My little fingers end up falling asleep after about 10 mins of play.

#11 12 months ago
  12. fengato

Love the kit – it’s so beautifully engineered compared to the 3DS with it’s fugly screen and uncomfortable ergos. Sold mine last year, though will buy again if there’s something compelling on the horizon. More retro fighting games would please me – that d-pad is the best I’ve experienced since the Saturn.

#12 12 months ago
  13. Ireland Michael

“All of the good Vita games remain in Japan.”

We can all safely say this is bullshit. Or else none of us would be enjoying it half as much as we say we do.

You’re just butthurt because a handful of obscure titles that nobody really cares about haven’t been localised to satisfy. It’s kind of your “trope” on here at this point – making a huge, dramatic hullabaloo about game releases to the point of obsession. You literally talk about nothing else.

#13 12 months ago
  14. Ireland Michael

@ttgoa Speak for yourself. I bought the PSP on day one, and almost never put it down for its entire run, because there was always something for me to play it on.

@monkeygourmet Yeah, I get this too, but only with really intensive games like fighters. The buttons are too close to the edge and my hands are too big – I have to bend my fingers really awkwardly to press them consistently. Very awkward.

#14 12 months ago
  15. dizzygear

@13 God Eater 2, Phantasy Star Online 2, Yakuza ishin, Freedom Wars, Phantasy Star Nova… These games have no release dates outside Japan.

And im not even gonna bother responding to personal attacks.

#15 12 months ago
  16. CycloneFox

I’m palying with my Vita every day, which I can not say about all my other consoles. I just love to play on it. Unlike any other Handheld(including PSP and 3DS), it is not even a pain to paly first person shooters on it. The screen is beautiful, the input methods and hardware are awesome and with Plus you have yet another reason to get a Vita sooner or later. You can really forget, you are sitting in a train or bus, and get the feeling you are sitting at home before your console.

And the OS is so fast and smooth. It goes almost seamlessly, to switch between sleep-mode, music player, to games and other applications. Not even a modern smartphone can keep up with that.

I really can’t understand any serious gamer who denies a Vita, because every person I’ve ever heard of, who owns a Vita, loves it. It’s even cheaper than a 3DS, but with better hardware, more possibilities and most people will already start on it with a vast games library because of PS Plus.

@dizzygear: It has nothing to do with the Vita. It’s always been like this. There are some Japanese games, I’ve been waiting for three or more years to finally make it to the west. I’m hoping for Phantasy Star Online 2, to make it to the west on Vita and PC someday and also for the Tales of Vita games, which have no plans to ever release in the west, yet. But there are alot of other examples, too. The JApanese games, like Gravity Rush, Persona 4 or the Atelier games are the ones, I enjoyed on my Vita the most (funnily the most fitting games for the systems, as well), but there are also alot of good western games for it.

#16 12 months ago
  17. Erthazus

One thing I want to say about PS Vita that it is a wasted potential.

#17 12 months ago
  18. Docker Al

Would have got one if it had large internal memory. It doesn’t so I never will.

#18 12 months ago
  19. mistermogul

I absolutely, completely and utterly love my Vita. All gamers should have one…

#19 12 months ago
  20. Ireland Michael

@dizzy

“Let me know how much you are playing your Vita when your done with the games you have and all that are left are late ports of indie games that you can get on PC for a fraction of the price.”

A PC isn’t a mobile device I can carry around with me. It’s a completely different experience. And this stuff goes on sale constantly on PSN anyway. But I actually like buying indie stuff at a higher price because it helps support the devs more.

I have so many games from PS+ on the Vita at the moment that I’ve needed multiple cards to store them. If I tried to complete every game I have on the device, it would probably take someone in the region of 1000 hours to sufficiently clear them all

I’m currently juggling Persona 4, Soul Sacrifice, Rayman Legends and Disgaea 3. Disgaea 4 and FF-X HD are due soon. That’s a good 300 more hours right there. Not to mention countless more indie games.

I will not be gettin bored of the device any time soon.

You said all the good games are only in Japan. This is catagorically untrue. If it was, none of us would be enjoying the device. But that probably has to do with us not limiting our tastes solely to Japanese games.

#20 12 months ago
  21. Obernox

It is a fantastic device, great library of games and most ports feels naturally good or even visually better like Muramasa and BlazBlue CSII.

#21 12 months ago
  22. ManuOtaku

I do like my vita i play on it on daily basis alongisde my 3ds, basecally i use it for the exclusives because the games that are released for both the vita an ps3 i pick them up on the ps3, like dragons crown, sly thieves in time, etc, iam waiting for the vita tv thing to arrive in the country an give it a shot.

Having said that iam trully sad the vita is in this situation, but i think it will recover to do decent numbers; i compare the vita with the Wiiu in regards that gamers are really mising a great device, but the overall wrong perception of the device, the bad press, and the poor campaing explaining the device is affecting both devices, i hope gamers eventually give both a chance both deserve.

#22 12 months ago
  23. dizzygear

@16 The PSP became known as system for allot of niche Japanese titles that came to the west. Now the 3DS more or less claimed that title.

Maybe its the higher development costs or the low install base or both. I kinda have hope for the Tales games since Bamco has been pushing the Tales games pretty hard in the west lately and there is the Tales of the Abyss 3DS port already.

I know the Vita does have some good games in the west. The problem is that i played them already.

#23 12 months ago
  24. OmegaSlayer

@Erthazus
    You’re very correct.
    And it will never reach its potential because big publishers are avoiding it.
    Still I think PSVita has an insane software attach rate.

#24 12 months ago
  25. Ireland Michael

@24 I think that might be because those who tend to purchase one are looking for very specific games, so they buy it entirely with that intent in mind.

#25 12 months ago
  26. Erthazus

Also I think that after PS Vita fiasco Sony will not do another handheld. Maybe they will make something completely different but it won’t be a handheld…

Nintendo on the other hand will have another handheld device that will have PS Vita specs in mind.

#26 12 months ago
  27. actuallyisnotafox

I think the vita is great, I love it, it reminds me of my psp days but the lack of games is worrying.. when thinking about recommending a ps vita to someone its hard to pick a handful of games, that theres not much variety. I think its special in its own way and that why it stands out, Ive been hearing a lot of interest in the vita recent and I hope it continues. Personally I would love a “gaming where ever you go approach” compared to smartphones or tablets the vita is stronger, it has controls, it has beauty in its design for what it was ment for. The games dont have to be mind blowing’ly beautiful, they just have to work with the hardware, and it helps that its not as demanding because thatll help when designing.

Good luck with the vita i say, i hope to see more advertisements for games, i hope you push the 4 the gamers, gaming everywhere and anywhere approach. :)

#27 12 months ago
  28. monkeygourmet

I think Gaikai / tablets are where Sony are going to leave their handheld gaming ‘hats’.

#28 12 months ago
  29. Legendaryboss

@3/17/26
    Yep that is how things are. So +1000.

Dead, wasted potential and so on.

“We all know SCEE does not give a rats ass about us and puts in 0 effort for us while the SCEA and SCEJ zones get all the good stuff like getting their games on time, decent sales and physical versions of games instead of lousy digital only.”

What? This is only time i’m seeing SCEE not giving rats ass, its usually SCEA on that end in regards to Vita. Its the publisher fault you got a digital only copy not SCE, its the publisher fault you got the game late (physical) but the PS store is completely different. Complain to the correct parties. As for decent sales, it doesn’t sound like you even hold SCEA/SCEJ to better sales. Unless Sony (Region Publisher) published these games your on about, they aren’t accountable.

“God Eater 2, Phantasy Star Online 2, Yakuza ishin, Freedom Wars, Phantasy Star Nova…”
    Blame the publishers, one of which is actually SCE. This type of stuff isn’t exclusive to PS Vita. MH 4 is still stuck in Japan on 3DS despite its success and countless of other Japanese games still stuck there on countless platforms.

#29 12 months ago
  30. monkeygourmet

But, It’s not going anywhere anytime soon, and has a healthy amount of games on it to deserve purchase or at least recomendation.

The console being ‘dead’ doesn’t effect you unless they can it prematurly and you don’t think you have got your ‘money’s worth’. As IM stated, there are many, many titles to play that would cover 100′s hours playtime.

At least you can import Jap Vita games, region free and all that.

#30 12 months ago
  31. lexph3re

I’ve had my Vita since post launch. Never stopped playing it til recently and that’s only because I built up such a huge bc on my ps3 and 360 that I forced myself to put it down. Vita is everything I could want in a portable gaming device and more.

Every time I see a person down the vita it’s because they don’t buy anything for it. I have almost every title on the vita since launch (thank you plus) and I haven’t been bored since.

Sure there are games I would kill to have localized such as tales of hearts and tempest r. But if it doesn’t happen I’ll import. I still believe it’s sad how many people discount the vita for 3ds just because Nintendo has more familiar games.

I honestly see the vita as the dreamcast of handhelds and only this time if vita dies it would be on the consumers not the companies death.

#31 12 months ago
  32. Legendaryboss

Your exactly right when you said it isn’t going anywhere, it is in fact going nowhere. I know what you mean though but it isn’t enough.

The console being dead limits the amount of games coming to it and my previous fears about this was right on the money:
    “More Vita games are still consumed through physical game cards than they are through digital, but things are increasingly moving the other way. Could be that in future physical games becomes the side we do without.” And i was right about this, i just hope my other thoughts don’t come true.

No point in listing games already out: they are either A. already owned B. Not interested/Not Owned. C. Other. As for upcoming: Indies = No. AAA Games = Severely lacking, limited or non-existent. Exclusives = 1. Niche = 1. Multi = 1. Exclusives and niche games are one and the same, 2 games for the whole year: pitiful. Thats it, sure that list is bound to change.

I don’t import Japanese games: A. Don’t want to go through the hassle. B. Not that desperate to play Japanese games. C. Would rather wait until they come over, very patient anyways. D. Would rather have them in English.

#32 12 months ago
  33. Legendaryboss

Let me conjure up something:

1. If PS Vita were receiving the exact same games as PS4/One, i would have no qualms.
    2. If PS Vita were receiving the exact same treatment as PSP in regards to games, again i would have no qualms.
    3. If PS Vita were receiving 2 and the exact same games as now, no qualms.
    4. All of the above, a happy beaver :D

I have had qualms with this approach for quite some time.

#33 12 months ago
  34. dizzygear

@29 Its SCEE’s region so they call the shots. And its not like SCEE never screwed up on its own publications either. Censoring The last of us for the entire region just because of Germany to name a recent example. it just reeks of laziness.
    Also still waiting for that Toro’s friend network.

You also cant deny the 3DS sees allot more localisations than the Vita.

I did stumble on this today: http://kotaku.com/sonys-giant-list-of-video-games-1463345943
    It would be nice if Sony would take localisation matters in their own hands but still seeing is believing.

#34 12 months ago
  35. Legendaryboss

Okay? Moving on from SCEE. 3DS and PS Vita are about equal in Japanese localisations. more or less. I don’t keep too much tabs on it, maybe it does slide slightly in 3DS family favour.

Again Sony aren’t accountable for those games coming over, stubborn publishers are supposed to be. But Sony could do it: thats why they built that third party production team.

“@32 E: Importing is bloody expensive F: account switching to buy DLC is a pain in the ass.”
    Thats why i don’t go through it. I’ve never come across a game in Japanese that doesn’t eventually make its way over to me in english or DLC that doesn’t come to me, usually these are long periods which require distractions.

#35 12 months ago
  36. monkeygourmet

I honestly don’t know how much time other people have, but I’m finding it crazy hard to keep up and enjoy half the games that are coming out at the moment.

Have a huge backlog on Vita / 3DS and I’m only just getting through the last wave of PS3 titles (Dragons Crown is gun, have yet to start Beyond 2 Souls).

That’s not even mentioning 360 (which has dried up for me) and the Xmas STEAM sales.

#36 12 months ago
  37. illuminatusv

In his dreams…

#37 12 months ago
  38. fearmonkey

I’m glad I got one when I did. I have bought two games and received a ton through Plus, I am really enjoying it. Not every game makes a great remote game but resogun on vita is alot of fun.

#38 12 months ago
  39. The_Red

@Ireland Michael
    Glad to hear. I sadly don’t have a Vita at the moment but am planning to get one for Spelunky and Tearaway (Spelunky being my current addiction on PC and Tearaway looking HOLY FUCKING AWESOME!).

#39 12 months ago
  40. stealth

uh wouldnt it be the zune?

3ds is the ipod

#40 12 months ago
  41. stalepie

I want one for TxK – any word on when that’s coming out?

#41 12 months ago
  42. dtyk

I for one am very excited about gakai streaming to the vita. Very very excited.

I’ve been remote playing Don’t Starve whenever there is wifi, and it’s just an amazing piece of technology (and game too).

But like many said, the Vita could’ve been so much more. If the Vita got Monster Hunter 4? Mother of god.

#42 12 months ago
  43. Francis O

Sony….its so damn simple….

Release more games….and the system will sell. Not half-baked console ports. But real, exclusive, built for the ground up games on PS Vita, THAT HAVE WIDE APPEAL

Make your own version of Pokemon. Make a platformer with razor sharp controls like Mario. Make RPGs like Bravely Default. First party, not third-party. Where is infamous, God of War, or Gran Turismo?

And for the love of god reduce the memory card prices to the same level as SD cards.

#43 12 months ago
  44. Nobroact

my best friend’s step-sister makes $79 an hour on the internet. She has been fired from work for 9 months but last month her pay was $17923 just working on the internet for a few hours. go now,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, http://x.co/3cow1

#44 12 months ago
  45. Ireland Michael

Bravely Default isn’t first party. It’s third party. Seems like a silly example.
    Rayman Legends is better than any 2D Mario game since the SNES era.

Gran Turismo on the Vita would be cool, but I’m happy to keep Kratos where he belongs – dead. That brand needs a break. A game like Infamous would be way too high scale to justify the budget for a handheld title though. That’s why I don’t mind ports on handheld – it still gives you the same experience, just in your pocket.

People don’t care half as much about exclusives at they used to. At the end of the day, they just want a good experience. The platform is largely irrelevant.

You don’t just “make a Pokemon”. If it was that simple they would have done it years ago.

They did reduce the price of the memory cards, though I agree they could do with being cut even more.

#45 12 months ago
  46. manamana

The PSVita is absolutely outstanding. VanillaWare showed us how beautiful handheld games can be, Guerilla gave us the best handheld FPS multiplayer ever and Tearaway must be the most creative handheld game ever.

I just love handheld gaming and the Vita is top-notch. Can’t wait for Playstation now.

#46 12 months ago
  47. Francis O

I never said Bravely Default was first party, but Nintendo is publishing it in North America and Europe. And why would a great RPG be a silly example? All systems could use more great RPGs, especially since the Vita sells the most in Japan.

Rayamn Legends is a great game….but its not exclusive to the Vita. So the VIta having it does little to drive sales. Not only that, but I was talking about 3D Mario games controls, like 3D World. Which in my opinion smokes Rayman Legends. But both are great games.

Why would you NOT want a GOD of War game? That’s stupid, as GOD is a big franchise that could help push units. And Infamous would be fine on the PS Vita….PS Vita is as strong as a PS3. There would be no problem. Seems like you’re making excuses because you don’t like the games I brought up. Infamous and GOD would be welcomed editions to the PS Vita.

People don’t care about exclusives? Then why is the 3DS doing so well?

I said make their own version of Pokemon. It can be done, just like Soul Sacrifice and Toukiden are Sony’s Monster Hunter.

#47 12 months ago
  48. Ireland Michael

@47 Because it has tonnes of great first *and* third party games.

The DS is in a privileged position in that’s it’s unique design inherently means most games will be exclusive to it, regardless of who makes them.

#48 12 months ago
  49. Dragon

^ +1

Wii U has 1st party games.
    Sales though…

#49 12 months ago
  50. CycloneFox

@The people who think, the Vita has, apart from western games, too little Japanese games which get localized: Only today, there has been two news about two Japanese Vita games, which get localized:
    Especially the second one is pertty much nieche, I know, but it’s just an example of today and shows just how many japanese games get localized for the Vita.
    For the 3DS it’s like with all of Nintendo’s devices. First party stuff sells as hell while third party games just fall back.

Edit: Omg, that game is really extremely nieche-ish. x.x

#50 12 months ago
  51. Penney R. Tucker

I’ve got my FIRST check total of $1681for one week, pretty cool. working from home saves income in several ways.I love that. I’ve recently started taking the steps to build my freelance Job career so that I can work from home. here is i started….. http://WWW.TeC80.COⅯ

#51 12 months ago
  52. manamana

People seem to forget that the 3DS is backwards-compatible, so that you can play all of your DS games on it.

Edit: @50 great stuff, didnt know about. Toukiden localization. Thats good news. Now PSO please.

#52 12 months ago
  53. manamana

Double post …

#53 12 months ago
  54. Legendaryboss

Really? “Make RPGs like Bravely Default. First party not third party.” How is that not stating or implying that BD is first party rather than third party? Nintendo publishing it doesn’t make it first/second party, i would learn terminology fast Francis because ignorance is bliss.

Why is 3DS doing well, why isn’t Wii U? More ignorance needed on this please.

No-one can develop a GOW PS Vita Game because RAD/SSM are busy. GT PS Vita may come. Infamous??? Toukiden is associated with Temco Koei.

#54 12 months ago
  55. dizzygear

@52 Technically the Vita is BC with selected PSP titles if you bought the digital version. Sadly some of the best PSP games are still missing or dont work on Vita like FFVII Crisis Core, Phantasy Star Portable (2) and Kingdom Hearts.

#55 12 months ago
  56. 123

Don’t buy ps vita for ps4. I just did. It ain’t great. My son and I each have psn accounts. But ps vita only works with one account. Whoever heard of tying hardware to one account?!!! Therefore 2nd ps4 user (psn account) can’t use ps vita, …unless you factory reboot ps vita each time it switches users…. Just stupid. Sony when did you stop thinking, and caring about customer use cases…

#56 11 months ago