PlayStation 4 has slight sales advantage in US following holiday supply issues

Monday, 6th January 2014 08:48 GMT By Matt Martin

As the dust begins to settle on the holiday sales, analysts at Baird and Co. have suggested Sony’s PS4 has taken a slight US sales lead despite issues with supply.

Looking at sales through US retail giant GameStop, the research firm saw that while the PlayStation 4 is slightly ahead, it’s too early to call a winner in the battle against Microsoft’s Xbox One.

“Sony’s PS4 clearly bounced back from our mixed early-2013 supply chain checks, and appears to have a slight momentum edge among core gamers, as demonstrated by premium prices on eBay and persistent out-of-stock reports at retail,” commented Colin Sebastian, analyst at Baird and Co.

“A competitive ‘two horse’ console race would be positive for software publishers and retailers if Microsoft and Sony are forced to compete aggressively for market share.”

Sebastian said he expects GameStop to rely heavily on hardware sales in the first half of the year due to low margins on used software and a light release schedule.

1. mistermogul

Can’t wait to get my PS4 but at the moment my PS3, 3DS, Vita & Wii U backlogue is far too big to think about new hardware…

Seems Sony have done a decent job with their launch overall – except for not producing units fast enough.

#1 9 months ago
  2. tezzer1985

@1 I bought both a PS4 & X1, but I’ve been clearing my backlog on PS3, didn’t realise I had so much to finish.

I’m happy I picked them up, loving the PS4 & X1, but PS3 & 360 still have so much to offer in there back catalog

#2 9 months ago
  3. KAP

Yep. Simple math that..

#3 9 months ago
  4. pukem0n

i feel the same.

bought games for the X1 and still work on my backlog of mostly great arcade titles on 360 and PS3. i feel like i didn’t finish anything last year…

#4 9 months ago
  5. Ireland Michael

I really can’t see myself even considering these machines until late 2015 or so.

There’s just no reason to bother with them yet. There are maybe two or three titles coming out on the new consoles that are even remotely registering on my gaming radar, and that’s simply not enough to justify purchasing them.

#5 9 months ago
  6. XbonerVsPiss4

Xbone will soon overtake SOny’s poor excuse for a console.

#6 5 months ago