Morrowind recreation Skyrim mod progressing nicely in latest trailer

Sunday, 5th January 2014 23:13 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Skywind is a recreation of Morrowind in The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim’s engine, from the team that brought us Morroblivion. It’s one of the most successful and popular work-in-progress conversions, and when you check out how it’s shaping up int he latest video update, you’ll understand why.

For more information, to download the mod or even to join the development team, visit the Morroblivion forums.

It’s worth comparing the footage below with our last update in September.

Thanks, That VideoGame Blog.

1. TheWulf

Well, this would bring me back to Skyrim.

I tried my best to like Skyrim, I did. At the end of the day, though, it left me feeling cold — no pun intended. It’s pretty much a generic fantasy setting but with a frozen hellhole veneer. Yet lacking even the base originality shown by worlds like that of Conan, and Conan isn’t exactly an inspiring testament to unique worldbuilding as is.

There are some games I keep getting drawn back into because they provide me with such a unique landscape to explore, and this is something that I crave. I think that there’s a switch in the mind of every person, or perhaps a slider. This dictates whether you’re alienated by novelty or familiarity. I know for, about, 90 per cent of people this slider is set so that they’ll crave familiarity. They want to play a human in a very generic setting, it’s easy to understand and they feel that they can relate to it.

Well, yes. I could relate to that back when I was a toddler, but as a fully matured grown up, with a nicely rounded imagination and fully realised creative capacities, I find the familiar to be… dull. I don’t find the strange as terrifying as others do, either, which might explain why I don’t suffer with arachnophobia (to the contrary, I dig spiders).

As an adult, I crave that which is novel, fantastic, and different. I don’t particularly need familiarity to function, that’s not how my brain works. I’m fine with it, but I don’t need it in the way that so many need to. As I said, for so many, it seems like familiarity is needed to function. Those people wouldn’t make for good explorers, honestly.

But I am an explorer, through and through. I want people to bare their vividness to me so that I can partake of it as I walk through their dreams. That’s what I want.

And as sad as it is, there are some settings in games that’ve become so familiar and so tremendously overused (to sate the desires for familiarity) that I find even a modern day slice of life story like Gone Home or The Novelist to be notably more unique and, well, novel. That’s really strange. I suppose it’s because gaming has been about abusing people in familiar environments for so long. Grey-brown space hulks, ruined modern day cities, or Little Germany/England.

It’s the same thing, over and over. I don’t deal well with that.

I’m tired of specifically those three settings, honestly, very much so. And they’re always so entropic, dessicated, and depressing. Like we want to wriggle amongst the detritus, we need to be filthy. I’ve noticed an increasing obsession with dirt, as well, even fantasy is picking up on it with Skyrim and The Witcher. It’s bizarre.

I miss the clean, colourful, bright, vibrant sci-fi that Japan was always so ready to show me.

And if we have to have such a setting, then at least can it be as surprising, silly, and utterly brainmangling as Fallout Tactics was? Odd thing about Fallout Tactics though was that despite its silliness, it dealt with a lot of serious issues in very believable ways, it was an intelligent game, not that many people gave it a chance to prove that. (Ermahgerd, it didn’t obey the lore of Fallout 1 to the letter. Gasp! Well, neither did Fallout 2, Van Buren, or New Vegas. Sigh, lore nerds.)

Point of all this is that I liked Morrowind because Morrowind understood me.

Hey man, I know you’re sick of all that familiarity. So howsabout we drop you head first into something completely alien and bizarre, chain-exposing you to weirdness before you can even get your footing. That sound ballin’? Yeah?

And everything in Morrowind was bizarre!

The ecology, both fauna and flora! The culture! The attire! The roles to play! Even the main quest! And then mods expanded upon that to make it even weirder without ever making it unbelievable. I was especially proud of Bethesda for not presenting the antagonist of Morrowind as evil, which ended up being a jumping-off point for a brilliant mod where you could join him!

I just have so, so many fond memories of Morrowind, they give me the warm-fuzzies and, at the same time, they make me lament that Morrowind was such a singular fantasy experience. Its throne only really shared with Mask of the Betrayer.

And why isn’t all fantasy like Morrowind and Mask of the Betrayer? Why does it all have to be so lazy? This all came to my mind again when I saw that one game, recently. What was it? Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen. The most generic fantasy name you could have outside of Kol’tharr: The Reckoning of the Blood Throne or somesuch nonsense.

Well, watching this video… they get it.

There was one line in particular that made me sit up and pay attention, it was the one phrase that I tend to listen for.

Alien yet practical.

Oh my. Yes.

See, a lot of people never actually exercise their imagination due to that lust for familiarity. So they’re put off alien worlds, because they don’t actually pay attention to the rules of those alien worlds. Suspension of disbelief absolutely should not be about how earth-like something is, but rather how coherent it is and how well it obeys its own rules.

For example, if there is adversity to overcome, then naturally there has to be a solution. And the quickest ones are the most practical, with more fanciful solutions coming later. That’s how you build an alien world, you create a strange environment and you think about living there.

And Morrowind inspired that in me like few games do, I wondered about living there and I was completely immersed because Bethesda got so, so much right. It was incredible.

Alien, yet practical. Unfamiliar, yet believable. Fantastic, but with rules.

That was Morrowind to a tee.

I want more RPGs that understand that.

#1 10 months ago
  2. sebastien rivas

Haha Conan, yes but Conan did push the engine at best for world build or so I assume, it was what it was and I loved it. Not for its limited needle-like world maps but definitely for the game mechanics, though the load of bug was so repelling along with so many servers that pretty much all servers were empty in no time.
    Anyway, I still feel it was a great game just for its mechanics.

Ok Skyrim world is inspiring but as you mention, the folklore is too implying on cohesion which in the end makes the whole not dull but too much on similar side of things.
    Yet, in depth the story is pretty great when you go deep, it took me a long hard ass time to become a vampire and was not able to find it anyway. Perhaps this mod will inspire enough to restart from scratch and finally become a vampire.

Though TheWulf I think you take rational and understanding too profound perhaps. Sometime it is better to just let it flow. Although if you have a perfect idea and I can tell you like to write then go ahead, type it down, and get in touch with modders via linkedin maybe?!?! It will only help gamers like the game even more.

#2 10 months ago
  3. SplatteredHouse

Skyrim offered the look, but Morrowind successfully established a world. Some of the most enjoyable pieces of Skyrim for me, were finding “old” books and accounts written that talked about characters like Uriel Septim and covered what history accepts as happened before the events of ESV…That illustrate what brought the game world to the point of your character’s involvement.

In Skyrim, it’s too much of here’s a cave. and here’s a tower. And there another. and for the most part they are self-contained. Barring the player’s own quests nothing of importance in the world around happens (it is perhaps, caught up in the stereotypical problem of there only ever being one hero, who arose from a common populous, bla-bla) – oh no, wait big dragons attack, but SuperViking shouts them dead, and then these mighty forces of the game just reduce to a sorry wooden chest. They’re loot boxes. That’s what the game is….In that respect it’s like an indie rogue-like, except it’s prettier. :/

Then, unfortunately, nothing of any importance happens during the player’s involvement. There’s never an impression left that the world changes. You just get more loot. Even if sometimes, that loot comes house-shaped. An Elder Scrolls for the modern age, the cynical might suggest?

It lacks any aspiration to tell any story broader than what can be seen in front of the player’s hands. It’s often picturesque, and it has some striking locations, the art team were clearly on point, but Whiterun, for instance – In terms of content it’s a Zelda-esque starting village.

There was a city in the west of the game map, Markath, that I thought did much better, with it’s emphasis on social tiers, and corruption in the markets. You could pick up a lot about it, and its residents, just by walking around. I would have liked to see more to do there have it built out a little more, but what was there with the Jarl’s palace positioned looming over the city. The way the land was built, tiered in that way. I felt that was a really strong foundation for adventure they had created well.

#3 10 months ago
  4. Darkfield

YES! YES! YES! That already looks more epic than what Skyrim hoped to be.

#4 10 months ago
  5. SplatteredHouse

That…Wouldn’t be very difficult. The most epic thing about Skyrim was the Throat of the World.

#5 10 months ago
  6. YoungZer0

Looks really, really good. Glad they went through with it. I thought they only wanted to release a mod that allows you to travel through Morrowind and that would tell a new story. Similar to what we got from Bethesda. Thought the project would be abandoned after the release of the final DLC. Looks absolutely fantastic, props to them.

Though I wish the 2D illustrations would be a little bit more detailed, but I guess it depends on what the 3D modelers can do with it.

#6 10 months ago
  7. The_Red

Morrowind. The one truly great RPG from Bethesda (Though I never played Daggerfall when it came out so it didn’t have a significant effect on me. Morrowind on the other hand… an instant classic).

Sadly, Bethesda went on and made Oblviion to fully diminish any goodwill created by Morro. Skyrim was ok though. At the very least, it had removed most of Oblivion’s horrible leveling system and added Dragons.

#7 10 months ago