Deadpool, Spider-man, X-Men games removed from digital storefronts

Wednesday, 1st January 2014 23:27 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Marvel-licensed games from Activision have mysteriously been withdrawn from sale on Steam, the PlayStation Network and Xbox Live.

The missing title include Deadpool, Spider-Man: Friend or Foe, Spider-Man: Web of Shadows, Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions, Spider-Man: Edge of Time, X-Men: The Official Game, X-Men Destiny and X-Men Origins: Wolverine.

Some of these titles are quite recent; Deadpool launched in June 2013.

Activision confirmed on Facebook that the games are no longer available, but has made no comment as to why.

The end of a timed licensing agreement between Activision and Marvel seems likely, but coming so close on the heels of the release of Deadpool and while Marvel properties are so hot certainly provides fuel for speculation; was Marvel unhappy with Activision’s tepidly-received licensed titles? Did Activision give the license up after a string of mediocre sales records? Has another publisher forked out the big bucks to secure a deal?

Thanks, Destructoid, Polygon.

1. Takeshi

Well, certainly not like they’ve done anything amazing with the license.

Amazing: Spider-Man is off the hook? It’s not mentioned, but it is published by Activision.

#1 7 months ago
  2. The_Red

Could this mean that Activision MIGHT lose the rights? Because they have done everything in their power to ruin some of most amazing Marvel characters.

Imagine if Rocksteady could work on a Wolverine or Spidey game. Yes, that won’t happen because of Warner / DC thing but still. Also, give Deadpool to Suda 51!

#2 7 months ago
  3. SplatteredHouse

@2 MCV has it that the license expired. The games though, Activision has confirmed, will also no longer be shipped to retail outlets.

Even though I am not the most excited when these Marvel character games come out, the fact that one of the games has effectively died within a year of its release is a terrible precedent for the digital-led future. It will certainly colour my enthusiasm for future titles of their brands.

Was it great under Acti?..No. (nor under EA, prior)

Another point…https://www.facebook.com/Activision That is the Acti Fb page. As you can see, it hasn’t had any activity since 2012. So, the statement in the article may more likely have originated from Beenox, the developer?

Finally, if Activision HAS in fact, lost the Marvel license, then what does it mean for the The Amazing Spider-Man game sequel? http://www.theamazingspidermangame.com/

#3 7 months ago
  4. Legendaryboss

^ The Amazing Spider Man 2 will still launch sometime this year as planned according to Dan Amrich of Activision.

#4 7 months ago
  5. Ireland Michael

Disney recently pulled the Star Wars comic license from Dark House, so it wouldn’t surprise me if they’re planning to pull the Marvel licence from Activision. Any projects already in production are probably except. It would be silly to cancel it this so soon to release.

This can only be good news for the Marvel video games though. Activision has done almost nothing of worth with the brand. Hopefully we might actually start getting some decent games from decent publishers that don’t shoestring budget every single game they release.

I made the observation that this might happen a few weeks ago. Seems I was right. Again.

#5 7 months ago
  6. sebastien rivas

I can kind of understand why pulling pulling out 1 or more Star Wars license out from anywhere for that matter due to the fact a new Star Wars is coming on Theater I believe in 2014.

As you mentioned, perhaps it is for the best.

#6 7 months ago
  7. fihar

I honestly don’t get Activision.
    Why not just continue X-Men Legends and/or Marvel Ultimate Alliance?

True, both are more like fanservice than a serious attempt at a license like what WB did with Batman but they were still plenty of fun.

Well that kinda sucks.
    I suppose that means the new Legacy will end soon? I’ve been meaning to pick that one up whenever I had the chance.

#7 7 months ago
  8. Ireland Michael

@7 No idea. I’ve never read them. All I know is that Marvel will be handling the Star Wars comics from now on.

Oh man, Rocksteady with a Marvel game… now there’s a thought.

#8 7 months ago
  9. freedoms_stain

It seems like madness to me that the license affects the length of time a product can be sold.

#9 7 months ago