Assassin’s Creed series getting two releases in 2014 – report

Thursday, 19th December 2013 13:53 GMT By Dave Cook

Ubisoft is reportedly working on two Assassin’s Creed projects for 2014.

Examiner reports that sources close to the matter stated that the first project is for PS4 and Xbox One only, while the second is for last-gen formats, including PS3 and Xbox 360.

The sources also claimed that the series strategy is being reviewed moving forward.

Meanwhile, Assassin’s Creed 4: Black Flag – Freedom Cry has been delayed on PC for additional polish. Hit the link for more details.

Via CVG.

1. aseddon130

a crap one for last generation, a better one for current gen.

makes sense.

#1 10 months ago
  2. zoopdeloop

milk it out Ubi and when you’re done with it go after Watch Dogs which is pretty much the same thing :P

#2 10 months ago
  3. KineticCalvaria

Probably one for Vita too…

#3 10 months ago
  4. Dragon

@KC,
    I hope, but seems doubtful to me.

#4 10 months ago
  5. KineticCalvaria

@4, Well there was the rumour about Rising Phoenix and I think Liberation did well enough to warrant a sequel. (I actually haven’t played it).

Speaking of which, the last gen releases wouldn’t be the Liberation HD ports would they?

#5 10 months ago
  6. Dragon

@KC,
    AC Vita did better than any Ubi Wii U game, so its sucks in a way.

Although I definitely hope you are correct. ACL was one of a kind game on Vita, definitely like to see more AC on Vita.

#6 10 months ago
  7. Ireland Michael

What I’d love to see going forward is a main title every two years. It would give them a lot more time to grow and expand each game, and improve mechanics (like the combat) that desperately need an overhaul.

In between each main release, they could release spin-offs that tackle other genres or digital titles that are smaller in scope. Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon is a perfect example of how well the latter works.

#7 10 months ago
  8. monkeygourmet

@Ireland

Def agree RE Blood Dragon. I would love to see more vide games do ‘Treehouse of horror’ style spin offs, it’s a great way to mess with things without destroying the main canon.

AC on The Vita is pretty poor. It’s just a bit too ambitious for the platform IMO. Wonky frame rate, sparse world (compared to other titles), more of an experiment than a good game.

It might be better on the PS3 re-release if they can sort out a few things.

#8 10 months ago
  9. Ireland Michael

@8 I wouldn’t want them to go crazy and off the wall like they did with Blood Dragon, but they could do… say… smaller, one city games with a shorter play time. A different character, or old locations at a different point in time, but released at a lower price tag. There’s plenty of ways they could go with this.

#9 10 months ago
  10. Hcw87

This is a rare case where sequels actually get better over time. AC3 was superior to AC1+2, and AC4 is superior to AC3.

Brotherhood/revelations etc are better than AC1 and 2, but not as good as 3.

The latter games have had far far more content and stuff to do than the previous ones, i hope they’ll keep that going.

#10 10 months ago
  11. KineticCalvaria

@10, Nah AC Revelations and AC3 were low points, the series has now come back with AC:BF which is a vast improvement over the bore fest that was AC3.

AC2 and Brotherhood were probably the strongest entries before Black Flag in my opinion and to be honest it’s different enough to be a separate franchise.

#11 10 months ago
  12. Ireland Michael

I must be the only one who thinks that AC3 was a phenomenal reinvention of the franchise, and the best entry of the series to date. I love everything about it, including the lead character.

For me, Brotherhood was the *low* point of the series. I hated the whole single city thing, and the story didn’t engage me in the slightest.

#12 10 months ago
  13. monkeygourmet

Wow, yeah I think you are in the minority there! :)

AC2 was the high point for me, closely followed by Black Flag. I thought 3 was pretty poor with some dubious design choices.

#13 10 months ago
  14. KineticCalvaria

@12, that does surprise me.

I think it’s mostly just the setting for me, I was never excited over the native american aspect of AC3 but I’ve always loved the renaissance era of AC2 and Brotherhood. The architecture for instance is just so much more interesting.

#14 10 months ago
  15. fihar

The mission design was rather shit to be honest.
    I get the impression that Ubisoft wanted to cram as much historical events as possible without caring whether it would actually work or not, such as Paul Revere’s Ride and the Boston Tea Party.
    The one where you had to babysit a rampaging French-Canadian chef through the city stood out in particular.

#15 10 months ago
  16. Sylrissa

Every one has their own personal opinions on them, but I found AC3 to be one of the worst in the series, I didn’t enjoy the setting nor the character in it, but to each their own.

#16 10 months ago
  17. Ireland Michael

@14 I love Native American history. It’s something I’ve been interested in since I was a kid, and I have personal ties with people who are natives. Its a big thing for me, so that probably added a lot to the experience for me that a lot of people might not have felt.

AC3 is probably the first games I’ve ever played that actually treated it with any real level of authenticity and sincerity. Its something that’s very easy to get wrong.

I loved not being constricted to just climbing buildings anymore either. The outdoor setting was hugely refreshing, and I just got totally lost in it.

#17 10 months ago
  18. monkeygourmet

I’ve got you this for Christmas, it’s real classy:

#18 10 months ago
  19. Ireland Michael

@18 Oh god, the irony of the nature of that product is pretty amazing.

Thanks anyway. =P

#19 10 months ago
  20. monkeygourmet

I know, that website is worth a browse for sheer hilarity! :)

#20 10 months ago
  21. bradk825

My guess is Liberation for console, plus AC5.

#21 10 months ago
  22. bradk825

@12 I liked 3 just fine and I don’t know what all the fuss was about. But 2 was my favourite I think. We’ll see how 4 goes, I’m just getting started, but I love taking out other ships, that’s for sure. So far though, when I see a figate I have to say “frig it.” See what I did there?

#22 10 months ago
  23. k1llabeast

Ubisoft: “Don’t mind us guys! We’re just pulling off an EA!”

#23 10 months ago
  24. Ireland Michael

@2 Hur Hur. =P

#24 10 months ago
  25. Legendaryboss

Just about say that.

Assassin’s Creed Liberation HD.
    Assassin’s Creed 5: Subtitle.

Add in a mobile tie in as well.

#25 10 months ago
  26. Legendaryboss

Should add that it wouldn’t be difficult to achieve this with multiple teams they have on this franchises similar to COD.

BUT that has its side effects such as slow decline.

#26 10 months ago
  27. ddtd

@17 – I agree. Overall, I think moved the series in a much better direction, and I am in that minority that liked Connor as well. Also, the messy relationships and the not-at-all black and white nature of the Assassin/Templar conflict was really well done.

My only complaints are the pacing of the story and missions. Some of the transitions between scenes, scenes and gameplay, and periods of time felt either rushed or just badly edited. Also, the side quests were really weird and didn’t felt disconnected from the rest of the game.

#27 10 months ago
  28. gameloversure

Good article on assassins creed provides extra details on the series . I guess we have to wait for to see what they got for their customers and fans. I have also done an article on the same topic here

#28 9 months ago