Steam Machine – Digital Storm’s liquid-cooled beast on show at CES 2014

Thursday, 12th December 2013 03:19 GMT By Brenna Hillier

PC manufacturer Digital Storm also has a Steam machine in the works, and will show off the powerhouse at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas early next year.

Destructoid reports Digital Storm has opted not to chase the lower end of the market, setting its sights on providing the biggest possible bang with no mind for how many bucks are required.

The small form-factor PC will support dual SteamOS and Windows, and have liquid coolings. Its various configurations support PSUs of up to 700W and support for anything up to s ZGTX Titan.

All this comes at a price, though – $1,469. That’s a fair bit to shell out for a system designed for use with your couch and telly.

Steam Machines won’t be made by Valve; although the company will produce the Linux-based operating system and haptic touchpad controller, it is working with multiple manufacturers to allow for all sorts of variation in the actual boxes – cheap, expensive, powerful, baseline, modular or console-like.

The first prototype Steam Machines will ship to testers next week.

1. Diingo

Anything beyond $500 will push away most people.

If they can find a nice $400 price range then these machines could flourish and someday replacing the console market.

#1 12 months ago
  2. mariaroze

my friend’s mom makes $63 an hour on the computer. She has been out of work for seven months but last month her payment was $18465 just working on the computer for a few hours. Go to this web site and read more http://www.cash29.com/

#2 12 months ago
  3. silkvg247

@1 They aren’t aiming for the mass consumers. I’m not really sure where they are aiming to be honest.. I’d say high end users but if they’re anything like me.. we build our own.

#3 12 months ago
  4. TheWulf

I’m not sure who these guys are aiming at either, it’s peculiar. I think the ones we need to pay attention to are those that are at the same price point as the next gen consoles. There’s already one SteamBox that is, so…

#4 12 months ago
  5. silkvg247

I’d want to get the lowest end steam box possible and would probably go for aesthetics over power. Then I’d stream my gaming rig to it.. assuming that’s possible of course.

#5 12 months ago
  6. lookingglass

Don’t discount the 30+ and/or 40+ age groups here. Many in the demographic have money but not time. And with how fast architectures and tech are evolving it’s not hard to simply fall behind, making building a PC more complicated. I can see prebuilt machines selling well to these people.

That of course depends on effective marketing.

I think bundles are the way to go. Steam machine + Oculus Rift + Controller + Star Citizen. That’d be a hell of a bundle for that crowd.

#6 12 months ago