Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition Xbox One runs at native 1080p

Monday, 9th December 2013 10:48 GMT By Dave Cook

Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition will run at native 1080p on Xbox One, Microsoft has suggested.

It came after this Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition VGX trailer, which shows off the game’s new effects on PS4 and Xbox One.

Microsoft confirmed the numbers in a tweet:

Are you unphased or excited by the news? Do you yearn for the days when things like 1080p are no longer posted as somehow revolutionary or new? Share your thoughts below.

Via OXM.

1. G1GAHURTZ

Why do they do this to themselves…?

Aren’t gamers predictable enough??

#1 10 months ago
  2. Tiucaner

#2 10 months ago
  3. xavdeman

Native 1080p @ 30fps? I do not see how that could be something to brag about?

#3 10 months ago
  4. Luciferous

I’ll probably buy it for my PS4 because I loved the game that much on PC, but Lara’s rebuilt face looks… wrong, like spotting someone you know only to realise upon closer inspection that it’s a stranger who looks similar to your friend…

#4 10 months ago
  5. Delsin Row

:lol:
    :lol:
    :lol:
    they brag out 1080p and 30fps
    idiots

#5 10 months ago
  6. Panthro

“Graphics don’t matter in games”

*Goes out and buys Tom Raider DE even though he already owns it*

Console gamer logic ^

________________________

I don’t like her new head, have they given a reason as to why they changed it?

#6 10 months ago
  7. fengato

Am I the only one who couldn’t bear the NPCs? Argh, the dialogue stopped me from finishing it.

#7 10 months ago
  8. manamana

Great game, wrong message. That they even need to twitter the resolution, is so dead wrong.

#8 10 months ago
  9. _LarZen_

With so many articles about games on the XBO not running at native 1080p like the PS4 versions often do I understand why Microsoft points this out.

And I find it funny how some basement nerds are giving MS critic for pointing out that the game is running at native 1080p. When the same basement nerds have pointed out over and over again that the XBO is inferior because it’s not running at native 1080p.

But most of us probably know by now that the basement nerds really don’t care about the differences as much as they make it out to. They just need to feel like they are a part of a “pack” and not alone in their parents basement all the time. And of course to validate their use of money and that it was the best and right choice.

That said I played this on PC and it was a wonderful game. I just might pick it up for XBO or the PS4 for round 2. Not just because it was so great the first time but to support the developers so that we might get a sequel as fast as possible.

#9 10 months ago
  10. manamana

^ Ooooh we have an intellectual here.

#10 10 months ago
  11. Erthazus

Wow. Xbox One can do Last Gen game in 1080p? Such an achievement.

@_LarZen, Sorry bro. I play only in 1080p. I don’t know about 720p since 2004 and I’m sure a lot of people play at this resolution.

It’s a standard. 720p is an awful “HD Ready” res that is outdated that makes the image blurry compared to sharp 1080p image. It’s 2013 already… I mean… 23 days left till 2014.

#11 10 months ago
  12. Panthro

The only “pack” around here is you and the rest of the herd accepting second best and thinking they know better because “your all about the games” even though you blindly put down your money on products that don’t even have any yet.

If you ask me, the people who have put down there money for the new consoles are only doing it for the visual upgrade since the games that are out so far are piles of recycled but polished cat shit.

EDIT – I took out ‘pants’ and replaced it with ‘piles of recycled but polished cat shit.’ … It was more fitting.

#12 10 months ago
  13. G1GAHURTZ

They are pants indeed!

#13 10 months ago
  14. jomac3db

I’ll get this only if it’s an upgrade for $9.99 other than that I don’t see a reason for buying the same game again when I have it on ps3

#14 10 months ago
  15. bradk825

I played this on 360 and loved it. I’ll wait for a price-drop or a pre-owned copy and pick it up to play again.

#15 10 months ago
  16. _LarZen_

So what you are basically saying is that you missed some of the best games this last generation? Games like Red Dead Redemtion, GTAV and The Last of Us to mention a few?

I don’t see what this entire comment has to do with what I wrote. The only thing I get out of this is that I hit a nerve and you lashed out from a basement someplace in the world.

#16 10 months ago
  17. mistermogul

Pretty sure MS didn’t like the fact many PS4 games were 1080p when XB1 weren’t. This is no doubt to help counter the notion their console can’t handle it…

Tomb Raider was a superb game, better than Uncharted imo. Can’t wait for the sequel…

#17 10 months ago
  18. monkeygourmet

What do we call these remakes now? HD remake doesn’t fit?

1080p remake?

PS4 / Xbone have only been out a few weeks and already remakes are coming out to pad the schedules… Whoot!

#18 10 months ago
  19. Joe Musashi

Whereas being a first party and padding out your schedule months and months after platform release with a remake is absolutely fine. Whoot!

JM

#19 10 months ago
  20. zoopdeloop

@17 Agree
    better than Uncharted gameplay wise,dialogues and story are far worse

#20 10 months ago
  21. _LarZen_

Now if we could get a GTAV,Read Dead Redemtion,The Last of Us to mention a few in 1080p versions on PS4/XBO.

That would be nice…

#21 10 months ago
  22. Panthro

You were the first to write a long paragraph about ‘us basement nerds’ making fun of the Xbox not being able to handle 1080p.

Sorry, but I don’t live in a basement, I have a girlfriend, I have a decent social life AND I still think its funny how much the Xbox One lacks power compared to it’s competition.

I don’t need to validate the use of my money, the money I spent on a PC was well spent… There is also a PS4 in our living room too for my little sister… its all you guys who insist the Xbox will ‘magically get better’… LOL

#22 10 months ago
  23. mistermogul

@19 – Or even years in Nintendo’s case!

@20 – Yep totally agree :)

#23 10 months ago
  24. monkeygourmet

Whoa, you just blew my mind!

#24 10 months ago
  25. salarta

Modern gamer logic: be cool with the company completely undoing Lara Croft so they can turn her into some random new character they made up… then turn around and complain when this pretend “Lara” gets a face change.

May as well complain about a lone fly buzzing around in the midst of a roach infestation.

#25 10 months ago
  26. Doppleganger

Love to know your set up to see how 720p and 1080p is such a big difference?
    Personally Im sick of kids saying 1080p on their 42 inch tv while sitting 12 feet away from it is amazing and can never go back to 720p. Don’t get me wrong adults say that too its funny as Ill play the 720p content and they think its 1080p (I work in a electronic store)

Funny cause Xbox One is actually the better console right now and trying to figure out when PS4 will get better.
    Everyone that I know that owns both consoles like their Xbox One more and say PS4 needs time to get better.

#26 10 months ago
  27. Panthro

In what way though? you cant just say ‘its better’ without having anything to back it up with.

Both consoles have crappy games at the moment so there’s no real edge there.

The only advantage that either console has is that the PS4 is more capable than the X1…

_____________________

To have my input with what you just said to Erthazus, When a new game automatically defaults to 720p on my PC I can always see it; so I jump into the settings and set it to 1080p, sure there’s not a huuuuge difference but its noticeably better…

#27 10 months ago
  28. _LarZen_

You make NO sense. Read what I wrote and comment on that not on what everyone else is saying. I am pointing out the fact that people have been bitching about the XBO not running in native 1080p and when there comes a game that actually do the same people comment that MS should not comment that they actually will run at the same resolution as the PS4.

You don’t find that at least a little strange and funny?

And before we get ahead of our-self here, it could be that some graphic fidelity will be missing on the XBO version because they run it at 1080p. Or it could be that the developer tools have gotten better or that the developers have managed to program smart to the architecture on the XBO.

We will find out in January 2014.

#28 10 months ago
  29. RussellGorall

The P is free… cause the crack costs money, oh yeah!

#29 10 months ago
  30. Wolfbon

@Tiucaner

“I played the PC version which is already the Definite Edition, and doesn’t run at 30 fps”

This version Tomb Raider is not just a graphical upgrade from the original As stated by Scot Amos. The game has been Revamped in several areas function differently from its predecessor. Even Lara’s character model is changed which is obvious from the newest trailer that just launched. But don’t listen to me, if you have a little bit of time just read it here:

#30 10 months ago
  31. laxan96

You are all idiots why do you think it´s 30fps what makes you believe that? We don´t know what the fps will be yet. But what I´m guessing is that you think it´s 30fps cause the youtube video looks like it is. That´s cause youtube caps all youtube videos at 30fps and also processes it to the target 10 000 bitrate. A youtube video will never do any game justice not even last gen especially not now the new (this gen) gen.

#31 10 months ago