GOG.com introduces money-back guarantee for entire game catalogue

Monday, 9th December 2013 11:04 GMT By Dave Cook

Online game retailer Good Old Games has confirmed it will offer refunds to unsatisfied customers with 30 days of purchase.

In a press release issued today, GOG explained, “The rules are simple: any game purchased on the site can be returned within 30 days of purchase for full money back if GOG.com’s Support team can’t solve problems getting the game running and the user’s computer meets the requirements posted on the game’s page.”

The notably DRM-free retailer added, “GOG.com’s new policy is actually a declaration of trust in both its games and its gamers. GOG.com trusts the games that it sells: they do their very best to only select high-quality games and, whenever possible, tests them extensively to make sure that they’re in top working order; now they’re backing up that trust with a promise that they’ll do whatever it takes to make the games work or else refund gamers back their money.

“There’s also some trust in their users involved, since the very nature of DRM-free gaming means that they can’t “de-activate” any games that the user reports as broken.”

The policy is in effect now. What do you think?

1. Mineral4r7s

I’d normally say that is a great move but with gog? I do have fear that people buy any game –> Download it and then want a refund. Peoples are assholes like that sometimes. =/

I hope I am wrong here but I think this is almost too much trust.

Steam needs something like this but not gog, prices aren’t that high to begin with.

Now I wonder how many people would like to have a refund for CoD Ghosts? :D

#1 12 months ago
  2. Panthro

^

They should be left with that game and given no refund as a way of teaching them a lesson.

#2 12 months ago
  3. OwnedWhenStoned

Steam really does need this.

The one thing lacking with Steam in my opinion is the customer service.

#3 12 months ago
  4. GrimRita

@3 – totally agree

Im in a battle with them right now over Rome 2. Until they refund my money, I wont be buying anything else from them.

With game reviews full of shit, publishers shouldnt be allowed to hide behind ancient laws and a ‘suck it up’ attitude. The arrival of ‘Pre-purchase’ has allowed publishers to release any old shit because they have your money and tough shit.

#4 12 months ago
  5. CycloneFox

“… can’t solve problems getting the game running and the user’s computer meets the requirements posted on the game’s page.”

I think that’s quite standard. It is more problematic for DRM-games, as you can’t de-activate game keys, as you can’t go back to the store and tell the clerk, the game doesn’t run.
    But the requirements posted on the game’s page are (to be more lawful) part of the contract for sale. So, as the game doesn’t run on a system, suiting the requirements, the vendor is violating the purchase agreement and must pay the money back. The vendor also can’t repay the customer by account credit as compensation of some sort.

#5 12 months ago
  6. SplatteredHouse

@4 The reluctance to release demos also fuels both the way games are received (initially viewed) and a growth in the value of new media coverage, that isn’t a party to a symbiotic relationship, nor beholden to an “editorial” vetting process. Having no site to maintain, or advertisers to appease. Publishers, I agree, are responsible for this malaise.
    As far as releasing things in any kind of state; what’s the latest on Battlefield 4?

I would say that EA ought to be ashamed to release it in such a condition…and then, I remember that this is not the first time. Skate 2, launched with many well advertised online features, connectivity. Disconnected at launch. A complete mess! You couldn’t use the upload facilities, and the game suffered grim bouts of lag for weeks. Not even as much as We appreciate the time taken to participate in our premium beta initiative :/ That stuff still wasn’t working properly by the time I gave the game up.

#6 12 months ago
  7. GrimRita

@6 – Cant comment on Battlefield 4. Didnt buy it because its Origin only. But read about the problems. They are all at it really and its time the consumer stood up and said ‘enough is enough’.

It’s not next gen we need, its a working product that lives up to the hype and claims of (insert name of publisher).

#7 12 months ago
  8. lubu

they are (GOG) the best, steam needs to learn from them

#8 12 months ago
  9. OwnedWhenStoned

@7 Yep, I have the same problem with Hotline Miami. I have never been able to get the game started, Steam just forward me to the developers who never answer. The game has never worked, so I want my money back.

To be fair, I don’t have many problems with Steam – this and Assassins Creed are the only issues I’ve ever had, but it could still be way more streamlined.

#9 12 months ago
  10. TheWulf

Honestly, fidelity is one of the reasons I stick with indie games.

An indie designer is going to be more in tune with people, so they’re going to make their game more scalable, and they’re going to want to fix bugs to help people run their game. I remember how, early on, my computer couldn’t run Natural Selection 2 well at all. It was an issue with my video card, specifically. They went out of their way to fix that.

Now NS2 runs smooth on my computer, even with the settings on high.

Another thing approach is to make your game modifiable, that way you allow people to create performance patches for your game. Look at every Gamebryo game — there are modders out there who’ll just put the effort in to make the game playable for everyone.

So, yeah, whilst Battlefield 4 might have issues running on some PCs, that’s not the kind of game I’d want to buy, anyway.

I guess I also just really don’t trust AAA developers any more, regardless, since they haven’t exactly been honest or good with support (barring the few odd exceptions). Whereas indie developers tend to pull out all the stops to help people.

Here’s an experiment: Head to an indie game’s forum on Steam and an AAA game’s forum. On the indie game forum, providing it isn’t an overly toxic environment, you’ll have the developers talking with people and trying to fix their problems. On the AAA forum, the developers will be weirdly silent.

Again, there are exceptions in both cases, but for the vast majority, what I say is true. It’s just endemic of AAA development. Who cares if the game doesn’t run on some poor sod’s system as long as it runs on most, right?

That’s the thinking.