Valve joins The Linux Foundation, a nonprofit dedicated to accelerating Linux growth

Wednesday, 4th December 2013 15:58 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Valve has joined the nonprofit Linux Foundation which is dedicated to accelerating the growth of Linux.

Valve recently announced its plans to expand its Steam platform with its Steam Machines which will be powered by the Linux-based Steam OS.

“Joining the Linux Foundation is one of many ways Valve is investing in the advancement of Linux gaming,” said Mike Sartain of Valve in the press release. “Through these efforts, we hope to contribute tools for developers building new experiences on Linux, compel hardware manufacturers to prioritize support for Linux, and ultimately deliver an elegant and open platform for Linux users.”

“Our membership continues to grow as both new and mature entities embrace community development and open technologies,” said the foundation’s CEO, Mike Woster. “Our new members believe Linux is a strategic investment that allows their markets to evolve as quickly as possible to achieve long-term viability and competitiveness.”

1. DarkElfa

3 years ago I would have told you that Gabe and Valve were visionaries. Now I’d tell you that they’re arrogant, incompetent and drunk on the smell of their own shit.

I know they have money and fan support, but they are trying to go against industry norms in all the wrong places now. Steam was a blessing, but they need to get the fuck back to doing what made us actually be fans, make some damn games.

…and for godsakes, somebody have Gabe declared legally insane before he starts growing his nails out and watching HL2 trailers.

#1 5 months ago
  2. Hirmetrium

While @1 hasn’t worded it politely, I do agree Valve do have their heads up their own asses. They should focus on trying to engage Microsoft, instill better community management, and get Steam to work better and have better/more integrated customer service.

These are all areas of improvement for valve that should take priority over Linux.

#2 5 months ago
  3. Phoenixblight

Gabe and Valve are not about games they make far more money from distribution then they ever would from their games. Just time to accept the facts.

I do agree with #2 though as they do need to work on their customer service it should take week(s) to get a reply on a simple matter. Not to mention that every time I update it causes some games to crash on launch in which I have to find the executable in my drive to load it.

#3 5 months ago
  4. Erthazus

@3, Bullshit as ever. They make more money on the games. Dota2 makes more money then Steam. It’s the biggest event Valve supports right now and it is the most playable game where big money are right now.

#4 5 months ago
  5. Phoenixblight

You have proof of that? They aren’t worth 4 billion dollars because of their games. Its because of steam plain and simple.

#5 5 months ago
  6. Panthro

Yeah, fuck Valve for trying to move PC gamers to a more open and less constrictive platform.

Are you trying to say they make more money from Dota 2 than they make from game purchases in the steam store? Sorry Erth, but that’s a ridiculous statement.

#6 5 months ago
  7. Phoenixblight

Steam OS or even Linux will never work out. I am sorry but all production studios for games work in window because 99% of the software they use for production work in windows. If you just want an internet browser with limited video playback and editing sure go Linux but it will be a cold day in hell when Linux is anything more than Apple or even more so Windows.

#7 5 months ago
  8. Panthro

^ I’m a windows user

But I’m all for changing OS if it works out.

Valve should know what they are doing, there hasn’t been many times when a plan they have executed has failed, it will either become the dominant OS over windows for gamers or it will have enough success to carry on alongside it, I cannot see something Valve doing failing IMO.

#8 5 months ago
  9. Phoenixblight

THats your call but techies have already debunked the claims of Linux performing better than Windows on Valves own games, it was only a 3% increase and that was based on older DX version and not the current one. Valve is just feeling the pinch that every person and their mother now has a digital store and then with Windows now introducing Windows store on windows 8 it only make Gabe even more nervous. Linux is just a hedge bet and they will never be able to throw down against Windows. 4 billion dollars will never take down a hundred billion + dollar entity. As a PC gamer I don’t see myself dual booting to Steam OS just to gain a few more frames. It better be night or day not to mention they have to have the entire catalog of games to play.

#9 5 months ago
  10. DennoCoil

I’ve got a dual boot Windows 8\OpenSuse 13.1 PC. Both work about the same for everything I do except for some weird bugs like choppy video from Blip except when in full screen. Linux is still a better platform because I didn’t have to wait 9 months for Microsoft to give me my start button back. It’s also more efficient and smaller than Win since it takes up a much smaller footprint.

#10 5 months ago
  11. manamana

@1 why so harsh to a company that:
    A. Developed outstanding games and will of course continue to do that
    B. Has the best digital games service on the planet
    C. Are aiming for an open(!) technology

I can not see anything bad growing out of it, especially not in this EA/UBI/Acti dominated console era we are heading …

#11 5 months ago
  12. Ireland Michael

Its funny, really.

In ten years, we could all be gaming on Linux with our shiny, custom specced Steam Boxes, and laughing at those old fashioned Windows machines that nobody except spreadsheet makers support anymore.

Hey, crazier things have happened.

#12 5 months ago
  13. Panthro

I doubt Valve are nervous about any digital store MS will ever open…

MS opening a digital store for actual games will be met with the same hate and dislike origin has acquired, MS are too greedy to compete with Valve in that space.

@12 +1

#13 5 months ago
  14. Talkar

A lot of things Valve say and do fail. As it has already been pointed out by other users here, their customer service is abysmal. They miss dates by up to years, whenever they launch a service it fails for days, weeks, months and a few times years. For example, greenlight was very poorly implented, everyone said that to Valve, but they failed to listen to everyone and had to fix it up later on when the exact problems people were predicting occured. The offline mode only just got working in this year, it hadn’t worked properly for a large number of users before that. And then there are the games, Dota 2 is not a failure from a business perspective, but i see it as a creative failure since it is basically the original Dota from TFT with an updated interface and updated graphics, there is not a lot of new and innovative things gameplay wise. Half-life was in my opinion a boring FPS with a generic alien history, i know a lot of people see it as the greatest thing every created though.. Then we have games such as Ricochet and the original Team Fortress, both of those games were really really bad. And now they want to create an entire OS? Well if it works out for them, that is great! But i have some doubts about that, given their track record.

#14 5 months ago
  15. Erthazus

@Panthro, No, i’m not saying that they are making more money on Dota2 then on Steam. Of course not but they are making a lot of money from that game. More then any game on steam (third party or first party). Fact.

@DarkElfa, They just released DOTA2. they continue to make great games every year and they are a great GAMES company.

2007 – Portal
    2008 – Left 4 Dead
    2009 – Left 4 Dead 2
    2010 – Alien Swarm
    2011 – Portal 2
    2012 – Counter Strike:GO
    2013 – Dota 2
    2014 – ???

#15 5 months ago
  16. Panthro

1. I’ve never had any customer service issues.
    2. Green light was badly implement but it was also very ambitious and different, it works now and is IMO one of the best things Valve has done for steam and for independent developers.
    3. Offline mode has always worked for me when I needed it, I have heard complaints from other people.
    4. Dota 2 was a massive success regardless of what your opinion is on the actual game, millions love it.
    5. Half life? Same as #5 but times that success two fold
    6. TF was a mod which was then later released by valve and is considered a classic by many.
    7. Ricochet failed, I give you that one.
    8. They aren’t ‘creating’ it, it will just be a Linux based operating system tailored for gaming.
    9. And then we have steam, I didn’t think it was possible for people to actually love a website but they do, they rake in billions and it’s well deserved, I consider Steam as one of the greatest successes in modern gaming and without it the PC gaming scene would of been dwindling into darkness like it once was.

Just my two cents.

#16 5 months ago
  17. powerbuoy

@4 “Dota2 makes more money then Steam.”

@15 “No, i’m not saying that they are making more money on Dota2 then on Steam. Of course not”

Seems legit.

Anyway, seems like a lot of people in this thread are a bit short sighted. Of course Linux won’t be dominating any time soon, but I for one welcome this new venture into Linux land and I look forward to an open platform for games. It may not happen in the first 5 or 10 years, but you may as well start now rather than later.

#17 5 months ago
  18. MrWaffles

A lot of comments here just show a lack of understanding of what this is about.

“Linux” as used here, isn’t referred as the desktop, but as the embedded OS”. That’s the secret sauce of this whole initiative.

You can’t release a cheap console (Steambox) if you have to pay royalties to Microsoft.

But to do that, you first gotta bring the big players on the gaming industry to the linux platform, showing them it is a viable business move.

Valve needs steam > Steam needs the steambox > Steambox needs linux > Linux needs support from publishers > Publishers need Valve > etc

So don’t think of this as “oh shit, now cocky valve wants me to use Linux?” but as “holy shit, It’s 2016 and I can get a $99 steambox plays 90% of steam’s library and kicks PS4 ass???”

If you focus on short term (customer support saga) instead of what Valve is actually aiming for, please, go throw your money and Microsoft and Origin and watch yourself entering the shittiest walled garden in history.

-Waffles

#18 5 months ago
  19. Phoenixblight

Keep holding to that pipe dream. It won’t be happening. Barely a percentage of developer make games for mac and even less for Linux. Triple A don’t even bother. Valve has a huge stone to push uphill.

#19 5 months ago
  20. Asgaro

Triple A will bother eventually. But Triple A will never take the first step in innovating things since its too risky in their eyes.

It’s up to indie developers to start supporting the platforms. Then gamers jump on the train. And when enough gamers use the platforms, triple A devs will jump on.

Also, do you even know how much Mac and Linux games there are already? “Barely a percentage”… seems like you are downplaying it a bit too much.
    And more and more game engines allow your game to be exported to Mac and Linux easily without much hassle.

1006 Mac games: http://store.steampowered.com/search/?sort_by=Price&sort_order=DESC&category1=998&os=mac
    409 Linux games: http://store.steampowered.com/search/?sort_by=Price&sort_order=DESC&category1=998&os=linux

#20 5 months ago
  21. Phoenixblight

Indies don’t matter. Most indies are any platform they can get their hands on, most are on consoles and will be and you won’t be looking for performance gain in an indie title. Sorry but no one will be jumping to Steam OS when the windows catalog is in the thousands and the linux games are in the hundreds. No one will be jumping to steam OS if it just adds a few more frames for indie titles with cards from 4 years ago are doing laps around. There won’t be any exclusives not even from the company making the OS so what do people actually gain with the Steam OS? Oh, giving the middle finger to MS as you play a fraction of the catalog not to mention access to a fraction of all the software an average user uses.

Valve and Steam OS are not the second coming of christ. They are a business feeling a pinch with the transition of digital and trying to keep them self relevant. It will be a uphill push with a boulder for Valve. It will be no where near as revolutionary as Steam is.

#21 5 months ago
  22. debug

@21 What happened with the PC do you think? PC/Windows gaming wasn’t as big in the 90s, but it grew larger as time went. The same thing can certainly happen with Linux now that a big player wants to support it. Don’t be so negative, just wait and see.

#22 4 months ago
  23. Phoenixblight

Sorry Steam can’t throw down against windows. I foresee Google throwing down before steam get anywhere near Windows. When Windows was in the market there was no other real competition and now they are the cornerstone of the PC marketplace. Same with Steam and Digital distribution. Steam is not revolutionizing anything here. This is not the same thing, its not even comparable.

#23 4 months ago
  24. Christopher Jack

I love how people are commenting about SteamOS & Steam boxes while knowing next to nothing about it. I say give it time. It’s natural to be pessimistic but being negative pretending you have all the facts is just ignorant.

I have no intentions to move from Windows but if Valve were truly capable of making a free to use OS with nearly as much supported games as Windows, I’d consider switching over just to skip the Windows fee. Of course I would miss my multimedia & productivity programs & from what I’ve been able to gather Valve are ignoring that completely for now so it seems I’d continue to need another OS so I probably won’t make the switch until they can provide all my needs but in the mean time dual booting remains a possibility.

#24 4 months ago
  25. stalepie

blah de blah blah blah. I’m a commenter on the internet

#25 4 months ago
  26. Un-HolyMOTHERofGOD

@25, I disagree with your comment.

#26 4 months ago
  27. Diingo

The PC industry is dramatically slowing down — this will effect Valve.

Steamboxes are made to counter this slowdown as people switch to mobile computing.

This is something Valve has to do in order to survive.

#27 4 months ago