Xbox One: Microsoft is reportedly banning users from using Skype and Upload Studio for swearing

Monday, 25th November 2013 19:28 GMT By Sherif Saed

Xbox One gives you the ability to record your voice to accompany a gameplay clip and upload it to Xbox Live using Upload Studio, and it appears that multiple users have been temporarily banned for swearing in those clips.

Polygon has collated a set of reports from various places, such as the Xbox forums and a Reddit thread suggesting that users were banned for uploading gameplay clips in which they use profanity, it is unclear what is considered profanity. The banned users are unable to use Upload Studio or upload any clips they captured.

Microsoft appears to have lifted the ban for one user on Reddit by the name of MakVolci, he said, ” Okay I got a hold of a Microsoft representative. They’ve told me that my standing is “good” and don’t see an issue with my account – I’m in ‘good standing’.” He later added, ” I hopped on Upload Studio about twenty minutes ago and tried it out. It is now working for me, and I was successfully able to upload my Kinect footage and DVR footage to both Xbox and SkyDrive. It appears as though the Upload Studio suspension is a 24 hour suspension, as I believe it was for me.”

One Twitter user is reporting that he’s not able to use Skype for swearing in a private call, and receiving the following message:

Users who have been banned for using profanity in their Upload Studio clips are also reportedly being banned from using Skype. Polygon has reached to Microsoft for a comment.

1. KineticCalvaria

Bastards!

#1 9 months ago
  2. Hcw87

Sounds like a bug that shouldn’t affect Skype, but i like it nonetheless. If only it could automatically detect racist slurs and remarks while online gaming aswell, it would be good.

Talk like a normal person and this won’t affect you.

I’m pretty sure using words like ”bitch” ”asshole” ”retard” etc won’t get you banned.

#2 9 months ago
  3. xBASSxMONSTAx

They are always watching you.

#3 9 months ago
  4. Xbone

And if you say “Xbone” you will be banned for 300 years.

#4 9 months ago
  5. Jet Black

You can’t Xbox Live Gold is required? What is that nonsense? Stunned…

#5 9 months ago
  6. Irani

@ 4 No You Will Fu.cked for 300 years :)

#6 9 months ago
  7. silkvg247

And this is why we shouldn’t support MS.

#7 9 months ago
  8. wamp

Just don’t swear, muttaphuckaz

#8 9 months ago
  9. rbevanx

Yeah I started the topic linked in the story, it’s working now but that picture is exactly like the one I had.
    I said plonker and c*ap on one of my upload videos for the upload studio app and my rights were suspended.

Cheers VG247 for highlighting this as MS sure haven’t done anything and my post was ignored on the suspensions and bannings (both 360 and Xbone ones) parts of the forum.

#9 9 months ago
  10. DeVitowned

Nazis always impeding on our rights of free speech. Well, supposedly us yanks have that freedom. Supposedly. I understand MS might enforce so strictly to “protect” children, but I don’t think children should be allowed unsupervised use of something so potentially dangerous in the first place. As for adults, let us eat cake and give me the power to say cocksucking dildo toaster if I damn well please.

#10 9 months ago
  11. Ireland Michael

If this is true… Hahaha. Wow

@7 You mean aside from the other half dozen reasons?

#11 9 months ago
  12. DarkElfa

Smite them oh might smiter!

#12 9 months ago
  13. Thugz99

this is beyond stupid.

#13 9 months ago
  14. Ekona

I’m in two minds about this.

I don’t really want to see vids of people swearing endlessly or just being utter morons (racist, sexist etc), but then some people find things offensive that really aren’t.

“Shit” really isn’t offensive any more. “Cunt” obviously is, as is “Fuck”. But what about “Jesus christ!”? Or “Mongtard”? Both offensive to the wrong person, but both sayings I use every single day without worry. Personally I’d like to see anything go verbally, but some kind of opt-in feature for your XBL account so you cannot view those nasty vids accidentally.

#14 9 months ago
  15. Arcnail

The grammar itself is making me think this is a little sketchy, made for internet trolling perhaps?

Plus, how is one to know exactly what past behavior caused this? Does it come in an email? Wouldn’t it say at least that? How long is the ban?

I’ve managed to be banned from games before, and right or wrong, they do give you more info (and use real sentences).

#15 9 months ago
  16. gameoholic007

One of many reasons I don’t pay for/use xbox live, M$ loves to play their own games with their customers, the kind i don’t like. This is to no surprise.

#16 9 months ago
  17. absolutezero

I can’t actually help swearing.

Its in my blood. I don’t want to stop swearing either, it adds colour to my language.

#17 9 months ago
  18. salarta

BECAUSE OF YOUR PAST BEHAVIOR, YOU CAN’T XBOX LIVE GOLD.

Xbox Live Gold is now a verb.

Also: XBox. Come for the chance to play games, stay for the okay you can’t stay because we banned you.

Though I’m kind of surprised VG247 hasn’t reported on the disc playing problems (unless I missed it).

#18 9 months ago
  19. Ireland Michael

@18 I’m more concerned about the fact that the controllers are apparently so cheaply constructed that they can leave red marks on your hands after any sort of strenuous use.

#19 9 months ago
  20. Animeboy413

#20 9 months ago
  21. Animeboy413

@18, VG24 already has reported about XBox One disc problem

#21 9 months ago
  22. drewbles82

wow seriously. so even if you spoke to a friend on skype, fing awesome game dude. BANNED. And they say they dont monitor you.

#22 9 months ago
  23. yeoung

Such contrast, they love censorship just as much as information gathering. How eerily totalitarian.

#23 9 months ago
  24. DuckOfDestiny

Wow, Microsoft are racist. This is clearly an attempt to be rid of all Australian and Scottish people from xbox Live.

#24 9 months ago
  25. IceLemming

I guess they didn’t say anything but Kinect heard the sound of a PS4 booting in the background.

#25 9 months ago
  26. drewbles82

Guess it will be mostly kids then getting banned as im pretty sure go on most games, they’re the one swearing at everyone

#26 9 months ago
  27. NightCrawler1970

For real???? wasted 499 for that piece of shit box, that dont respect ya “FREEDOM OF SPEECH” trade in for a PS4 :P

#27 9 months ago
  28. G1GAHURTZ

Good. Ban them all!

#28 9 months ago
  29. TheBlackHole

Unfounded reports collated by game site.

Trolls go apeshit.

… That said, if Microsoft are monitoring my Skype calls, fuck that. If it’s not a private use chat system they should clarify immediately.

#29 9 months ago
  30. Panthro

Im glad, PSN should do this too.

Whenever I used to log onto GTA online I was met with kids swearing and it was just frankly annoying…

Sure its GTA, which is a good argument but the kids shouldn’t be playing to begin with but it happens in almost every game…

They should start by banning users who swear in online games that are below 18, meaning any game without an 18 rating doesn’t allow profanity in the voice chat.

#30 9 months ago
  31. Ilovesony

also if you skype and say anything with the word “sony” or “Playstation” the system will lock you out until the “Ninth of September”… See what I did there?

#31 9 months ago
  32. Ireland Michael

@32 No, they really shouldn’t.

It’s the parents’ jobs to police their kids, and an adult’s jobs to police themself. Unless they’re commuting an actual crime, hands off.

How the hell are they even picking up on this stuff, if it’s true? I try to stay hands off with reactionary internet conspiracies, but that is an uncomfortable level of monitoring.

#32 9 months ago
  33. DeVitowned

I swear I would love to buy this Ireland Michael guy a pint or two.

#33 9 months ago
  34. isoulja44

i swear on everything that is my picture!!!! beside my tv i have comics and thats my aquaman no. 25 comic and below it is a no 248 flash!

#34 9 months ago