Xbox One Halo at launch would have meant no Halo 4

Monday, 25 November 2013 22:36 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Halo could have made it to the Xbox One at launch, but only if Microsoft had cancelled Halo 4, disappointing Xbox 360 fans in the process.

“A couple of years ago we had the discussion of: ‘Should we do Halo at launch and not do Halo 4 last year?'” Microsoft Studios boss Phil Spencer told Kotaku.

“But I was committed to getting Halo 4 done last year, and there was no way we were going to turn around with 343 a full Halo game in a year. So that was the plan we set on. I feel good about that.”

Spencer defended Microsoft’s slow production of Halo titles with what feels like a shot across the annual sequel bows of the SS Call of Duty.

“Unlike some franchises that manage through 1,000 people, Halo is 343 and that team obviously has tight control. They are our Halo team,” he said.

“A discussion around having a Halo game at launch – a true Halo at launch, meaning like a Halo 4 or 5-size game – would have been something we’d have had to start two or three years ago. We had the discussion, and we thought having Halo 4 come out when it came out from 343 and having them really land their first full version of Halo that they developed internally would be great for the 360 customers, great for 343 in shipping something.”

Halo is coming to the Xbox One, of course; Microsoft released a teaser at E3 2013.

Thanks, Gamespot.

Latest