Xbox One Halo at launch would have meant no Halo 4

Monday, 25th November 2013 22:36 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Halo could have made it to the Xbox One at launch, but only if Microsoft had cancelled Halo 4, disappointing Xbox 360 fans in the process.

“A couple of years ago we had the discussion of: ‘Should we do Halo at launch and not do Halo 4 last year?’” Microsoft Studios boss Phil Spencer told Kotaku.

“But I was committed to getting Halo 4 done last year, and there was no way we were going to turn around with 343 a full Halo game in a year. So that was the plan we set on. I feel good about that.”

Spencer defended Microsoft’s slow production of Halo titles with what feels like a shot across the annual sequel bows of the SS Call of Duty.

“Unlike some franchises that manage through 1,000 people, Halo is 343 and that team obviously has tight control. They are our Halo team,” he said.

“A discussion around having a Halo game at launch – a true Halo at launch, meaning like a Halo 4 or 5-size game – would have been something we’d have had to start two or three years ago. We had the discussion, and we thought having Halo 4 come out when it came out from 343 and having them really land their first full version of Halo that they developed internally would be great for the 360 customers, great for 343 in shipping something.”

Halo is coming to the Xbox One, of course; Microsoft released a teaser at E3 2013.

Thanks, Gamespot.

1. POOhead

@1 agreed game was beyond boring

#1 9 months ago
  2. polygem

halo 4 was a huge letdown for me. it looked good, played good…but lacked that halo magic.
    i didn’t like the changes they made in the mp either. i don’t know, it just felt strange. it wasn’t bad but it just did not click with me at all – and man, i tried and tried and tried again to fall in love with the game.
    that said, if i wouldn’t know now what i know now ;) i’d probably be extremely excited about a halo 4 for X1 and would have bought the console for it.
    halo could have been the only medicine to cure that drm trauma. maybe.
    now it’s too late anyway, no nextbox for me. no problem, there’s destiny to look forward to.
    i can only speak for myself though.

#2 9 months ago
  3. Butcher8

I disagree strongly, @1 stop trolling moron, Halo4 had one of the best Halo campaigns, I would put it up there with ODST and Halo 1 campaign wise, both of which really nailed it, Halo 2&3 + Reach had appalling campaigns.

Halo 4 was also almost a next-gen leap graphically, as great as Bungie are they couldn’t make a good looking game for shit since Halo CE.

Halo 4′s mp was a little lacklustre mind, although I think it’s fair to say it had been going downhill for a long time already.

I’m sure Halo 5 will be a stunning game with an interesting campaign, I really hope they innovate a bit more though.

#3 9 months ago
  4. Butcher8

I don’t own a single cod so yeah…I liked the first cod on pc and also the first MW had a reasonable campaign, but haven’t played any others!

The campaign didn’t innovate all that much sure but it had a lot more than corridors, it also had large outdoor areas with vehicle action, it’s like you didn’t even play the game.

Why am I replying to an obvious troll and hater?! I won’t make that mistake again, also you write like the moron you are.

#4 9 months ago
  5. POOhead

@7 lol so because he disliked halo 4 hes a troll? you new to the internet hes right about most stuff but i have to disagree about comparing it to cod, only thing cod and halo 4 have in common is the create a class thing but at the same time that ruined the only with so many OP weapons, not to mention the maps on halo 4 were so bad

#5 9 months ago
  6. Butcher8

@8 No he’s an obvious troll because he said “fuck you 343i and fuck microscam”, kinda gave himself away there don’t you think!

#6 9 months ago
  7. manamana

#1,2,3 +1 let me also mention that godawful and unispired soundtrack.

#7 9 months ago
  8. Butcher8

@10 It wasn’t as good as Marty O’Donnell’s for sure, but godawful? That’s hyperbole if I’ve ever heard it! It was a little uninspired though I’ll give you that, hopefully if Halo 5 innovates a little more then it’ll also inspire a better soundtrack too, we shall see (or is that hear…)

Personally I don’t intend on getting an x1 until they lower the price by at least £100, stop including the Kinect 2 (it’s still a joke) and half the size of the machine (at least take a third off anyway). Also games like Halo 5 and other exclusives need to be excellent otherwise I’ll just stick with pc gaming till the next-next-gen.

#8 9 months ago
  9. BrahManDude

nope bad idea halo 4 on xbox one wouldve been a system seller but microsoft wanted the money so yeah we got an underwhelming halo sequel and a rushed next gen game

#9 9 months ago
  10. TheBlackHole

“nailed it? more like failed it”

Shakespeare.

#10 9 months ago
  11. fengato

I too felt that the vibe of Halo 4 was a bit off, though having let things settle for a while (and playing on Legendary) I’ve actually come to grow reasonably fond of the game. So much so that I’m looking forward to the next entry on X1. My biggest remaining gripes are the music and the art direction – maybe Kenneth Scott will be moving on now that his wife has departed 343. He’s not a patch on the likes of Isaac Hannaford. Same goes for Neil Davidge vs Marty.

#11 9 months ago
  12. Gheritt White

As I’ve stated on this site several times before, Halo 4 was my favourite Halo in the series on X360 by quite a long way, for both SP and MP.

Oh and in case any of you newfags want to come and have a go, bring it – I invite you.

#12 9 months ago