Xbox One store: Ryse and Killer Instinct digital editions priced

Thursday, 21st November 2013 09:05 GMT By Dave Cook

Xbox One’s store isn’t all fully there yet, but prices for some games have started to trickle down the news-pipe ahead of tomorrow’s big launch. Ryse: Son of Rome and Killer Instinct are among the first to get a price-tag.

It follows out Xbox One console review round-up. It’s full of insight into exactly what Microsoft’s console is and what it can do.

Now, Eurogamer reports that a digital downloads of Ryse: Son of Rome will cost you £44.99, while Killer Instinct: Ultra Edition comes in at £31.99.

Ryse also has in-game currency. Here’s a price-breakdown of the denominations:

• 1000 / £0.79
  • 2000 / £1.59
  • 3000 / £2.39
  • 5500 / £3.99
  • 11,500 / £7.99
  • 25,000 / £15.99

Crytek’s brawler has add-on DLC already available. The season pass will cost £15.99 at 7.51 MB, while the Praetorian/Damocles Gladiator Skin cost £3.19 each at 7.51 MB apiece.

What do you make of the above? Are you getting an Xbox One tomorrow? Let us know.

1. Zackslacky

Whats euro price for killer instincts combo breaker edition. Have to wait til ten tomorrow morning for mine….balls. want now:)

#1 10 months ago
  2. VibraniumSpork

Ryse @ £44.99 – A victory for common sense! (At least £5 cheaper than retail if I’m not mistaken?)

#2 10 months ago
  3. Joe Anderson

Just to be helpful (you know me :D ) here are all the store prices.

#3 10 months ago
  4. monkeygourmet

Well… This beats the £54.99 prices I’ve often seen on the Nintendo EStore. Hopefully this gen will see much more competition digitally and translate to lower prices for everyone.

Steam is a great example of what’s possible, sales / deals / packages etc…

#4 10 months ago
  5. KineticCalvaria

There’s no reason why it’s more expensive than current gen though… surely its easier and cheaper to develop games now as the new consoles are essentially pc’s. The costs they save by not selling through retail should at least bring it down to £40 as well. No way in hell am I paying the current retail price of £50 for a game that has slightly better textures than a current gen version (black flag etc), I mean what am I paying an extra £10-£15 for here? Or is it just me?

#5 10 months ago
  6. DrDamn

Certainly on par with online retail. This is good, hopefully Sony take note as I have a feeling they are going for the full on RRP crap for digital and completely ignoring all the good work they have done with PSV.

#6 10 months ago
  7. Fin

It seems first party games have been £45 on Amazon since August.

Still, matching retail is to be applauded!

“There’s no reason why it’s more expensive than current gen though… surely its easier to make games now as the new consoles are just pc’s.”

Eh, no that’s missing the point completely. I agree that digital prices should be lower though.

#7 10 months ago
  8. KineticCalvaria

@7, care to explain? How do you justify it? :)

#8 10 months ago
  9. Fin

Teams are constantly increasing; games aren’t necessarily longer, but at more complex (art/code); marketing budgets are bigger; plus inflation.
    Inflation alone means games should be £50 this gen (probably more), ignoring everything else.

Sharing an architecture with the PC (and each other) will certainly make them easier to code for, but not easy or cheap.

#9 10 months ago
  10. KineticCalvaria

Inflation, sure I’ll give you that.

But specifically AC:Black Flag or CoD:Ghosts for example are just the pc game ported over. We’re paying extra money for slightly improved graphics over the current gen version, it requires very little extra work as the game is already made but it’s still £10 more.

It just doesn’t make sense to me. :(

#10 10 months ago
  11. AmiralPatate

What you’re paying there is the cut of the manufacturer (which doesn’t exist on PC games)

Also, if they want to push their digital agenda, they should make it really attractive. Hour one release, preload and 10-20% off from retail price.

#11 10 months ago
  12. KineticCalvaria

@11, I guess so, of course I’m not surprised that MS and Sony want to start this gen with some nice profits, they are in the business of making money after all.

It’s still crazy though, makes me think twice about buying next gen.

#12 10 months ago
  13. mistermogul

The late review embargo for Ryse has me suspicious enough to think the game is poop…

#13 10 months ago
  14. DrDamn

The RRP of AC4 and CoD:Ghosts is the same across generations, the discount the retailers are giving on the RRP is greater for current gen. This happens at the start of a generation. RRP of current gen games has been creeping up for some time. First to £55 when VAT went up and now £60 for some titles.

#14 10 months ago
  15. KineticCalvaria

@14, true. I’ve never really paid much attention to RRP, it’s never usually full price for anything.

#15 10 months ago
  16. AmiralPatate

Devs have to pay a license to the manufacturer basically for the right to release a game on their console. It’s not new, ie the Nintendo seal of quality. Obviously, you end up paying it in the end.

#16 10 months ago
  17. viralshag

@13, I’ve heard from a few people that reviews aren’t looking too hot for the game. “Boring and short” are the terms I’ve heard being thrown around.

I reckon reviews will end up in the 5s and 6s, maybe a 4 and 7 for the two extremes. Real shame but I’m just hoping the MP will offer a bit more fun.

#17 10 months ago
  18. CPC_RedDawn

WHERE THE FUCK ARE YOU GUYS BUYING YOUR RETAIL GAMES!???

How on earth is £44.99 the same as retail stores!???

GTAV was the only title to be anywhere close to that price and I got it for £42.31 from Sainsbury’s most retail games are priced for brand new releases in actual game stores as £39.99 they can sometimes charge as little as 37.99 (those days are gone now here in the UK with only 1 retail chain).

Whilst £44.99 is still a better price for a digital download copy of a game its STILL far too expensive. They are making more money by selling it you over the internet. No shipping costs, no packaging, no box art manual etc, no disc to be pressed, and don’t forget that there is no chunk of money taken out for the retail outlet that stocks it.

They could easily charge £29.99 for a brand new game and still be in the green but they won’t. Citing server costs as the problem when we all know this is pittance for them.

#18 10 months ago
  19. mistermogul

@17 – Yeah I have a feeling you’re right viral. It would be a shame to see low scores for this as it seems it could have such potential. We’ll soon find out I suppose seeing as it’s out tomorrow!

@18 – This is my concern when/if we do finally go 100% digital.

There won’t be any competition between retailers lowering prices and prices on PSN, XBL etc will just be monopolised by their respective owners, which means a continuation of the high prices we already see on those stores.

#19 10 months ago
  20. viralshag

@19, Well I’m still getting it tomorrow no matter the scores, I played the MP at Eurogamer and I really enjoyed it. I’m more looking forward to NFS and AC though.

#20 10 months ago
  21. DrDamn

“How on earth is £44.99 the same as retail stores!???”

Take a look at online prices for X1 and PS4 games. You may need your caps lock again ;).

This is how much Amazon and ShopTo are sell Ryse for.

#21 10 months ago
  22. AmiralPatate

Maintaining servers up and running 24/7, sometimes on several continents, is not a “pittance”. It’s still a tech nightmare, and it definitely costs a significant amount of money.

#22 10 months ago