PS4 had Sony’s best launch game line-up to date says Koller

Monday, 18th November 2013 10:48 GMT By Dave Cook

PlayStation 4 launched in the North America last week, along with a first-party titles Killzone: Shadow Fall, Knack and Resogun. Sony’s vice president of marketing Jon Koller reckons it was the company’s best console launch line-up to date.

Speaking with GamesBeat, Koller was asked to discuss how he felt about the North American launch. He replied, “Really positive. It’s always great to get out of the office and interact with the fans and see how much love they have for the brand. It makes everyone feel good. I try to bring my team. You have to feel this, feel how great it is.

“The launch overall, just in business terms, we feel great about it. The pre-orders are through the roof. The demand is huge. Of the five platform launches we’ve had, this is the best game lineup. It reminds me a lot of the PS2 launch, when we had such pent-up demand – “When is the PS2 coming?” The same thing is happening here.”

When asked what the PS4 offers beyond its predecessor, Koller continued, “Well, you start with the graphics. We talk a lot about it being the price of entry, but it’s really not. It’s theatrical. It’s become much more of that dream I think a lot of people have had in this industry for years, to become in line with what you see in a Michael Bay movie, an Avatar, where it’s so immersive and engaging. It makes you want to be part of that environment.

“What’s behind the hood is an unbelievable social component. Some of the engineers in Japan like to talk about “playing with like-minded souls.” It’s about playing with people who are similar gamers, who have similar passions, similar loves for the types of experience that you want. You’re able to share your experiences with them, whether it’s through live streaming or shared content. It’s about being able to live in different environments and different worlds, like a Destiny, that evolve as you play them, where the developers give the tools to the community and it ends up being something much different than what had originally been envisioned.”

What’s your reaction to the PS4 launch so far? Let us know below.

Via GI.biz.

1. Tearsir

Well, i will buy a Ps4 when it launches in Europe but the launch line-up is the worst ever in the gaming history.

#1 9 months ago
  2. KAP

Are you high? Worst?!

Before you reel silly chatter like that do your research bro.

Killzone

LEGO Marval

Trine 2

Soundshapes

Flower

Blacklight

DC Universe

Warframe… and loads more. Yep. worst launch in gaming history indeed.

#2 9 months ago
  3. Pytox

If only infamous and driveclub were at release too :p

#3 9 months ago
  4. KineticCalvaria

I don’t think there’s a real system seller in there… definitely would’ve benefitted from another big exclusive such as Infamous.

#4 9 months ago
  5. KAP

We’d complain if they released a game to early (unfinished) we’d complain if a games delayed. lol

We all should be glad that Sony doesn’t rush out these titles like many other companies do.

I’m sure the average consumer won’t go into a shop and complain that the games on offer isn’t published by Sony there for fork out $100 for xbone. Come on buddie.

#5 9 months ago
  6. Ireland Michael

While it’s certainly not terrible, there is certainly a noticeable lack of stand out titles, but I’ve found this true of most hardware launches, and the Xbox One’s launch lineup is equally as lacklustre.

But then, it would be silly to judge any hardware based on its launch line up – what matters is a year or two down the line, where the new hardwares are in their stride, and what is being released then.

#6 9 months ago
  7. KAP

We all just need to remember that a “console launch” doesn’t define it’s legacy.

Oh by the way theN64 & 3DS says hello!

#7 9 months ago
  8. KineticCalvaria

@5, I’m just pointing out that if Sony wanted to claim they have a strong line up they’d need a decent exclusive in there, I mean knack has certainly been a disappointment. To the average consumer there’s very little reason to choose one over the other based on launch games, a purchase definitely needs to be based off future exclusives.

Not saying it’s bad at all, cos it’s not and I agree with Mike that the X1 lineup isn’t any better, Titanfall is the only appealing game on there for me and I can play it on pc anyway.

#8 9 months ago
  9. CycloneFox

In my opinion, the only console, where the launch-lineup was woth mentioning is the SNES with Super Mario World and F-Zero. But that was the whole launch lineup already. In the west there one or three titles more, as the console launched in the US about half a year and in europe about a year later. But that was all. Compared to PS4s launch line up, everything in PS3s launch line up was pretty crappy.

A console which launches with 18 titles already, of which s many are AAA major titles and even more in the following three months, is really rare. You’ve never had a console with so much stuff to play at day one already. The Xbox Ones launch lineup will of course be similarly as good.

#9 9 months ago
  10. Ireland Michael

@7 Yeah, hard not to forget the whole drama surrounding the 3DS, because it took time to take off and earn an established playerbase, just like… every piece of gaming hardware ever.

The fact that the PS4 sold so much in just a day tells me there’s going to be no lack of demand for the console, so hopefully the software starts coming quick and strong in the new year. Holiday 2014 is going to be the real proving ground for these formats though.

#10 9 months ago
  11. Fin

It’s funny how people now say “there’s nothing that excites me!”, previous launches (excluding Mario 64 and Halo) you’d be lucky to get a game that was above mediocre.

Yeah you might be tired of the genres, but fuckin’ hell the launch lineup for both consoles is the best I’ve ever seen. No standout title, but 5+ AAA games on both consoles.

If you don’t think this is the best we’ve ever had it, you should really reevaluate.

#11 9 months ago
  12. KAP

You really gonna take what a Sony employee says for face value?

#12 9 months ago
  13. KineticCalvaria

@12, no but if they really want to convince us then that extra exclusive would’ve made a difference.

It’s obvious PR talk and complete bull.

#13 9 months ago
  14. KAP

Exactly. Gamers today are simply spoilt for choice yet complain because of “who” makes these titles?! Insane LOL

People seen to forget N64 had TWO….yep! TWO Launch games; Mario 64 and Pilot Wings. Yet in 2013 people look back at the console fondly. come on people. Give it a rest.

#14 9 months ago
  15. KineticCalvaria

@14, times have changed, people like variety and these are big investments for a lot of people, we need to know we’ve purchased the right console for us.

#15 9 months ago
  16. Ireland Michael

@11 You basically just admit that nothing stands out.

Half of them are available on existing hardware with little noticeable difference, and some of them them are just remakes of indie titles. I already own a quarter of that list on my existing hardware.

That’s not exactly Mario 64.

I’m not personally saying great hardware launch titles don’t exist, I’m just saying that software lineups are usually fairly mediocre. That’s because nobody has really gotten to grips with the hardware yet. The truly great stuff will start hitting within the year. I honestly can’t wait to see what amazing games come our way in 2014.

#16 9 months ago
  17. KAP

@13 like I said before, give Sony credit for giving them time the devs asked for.

You’d be the first one to complain if said title was rushed out the door. Dude, you can’t have it both ways man.

#17 9 months ago
  18. KineticCalvaria

@17, lol dude I’m not complaining at all, nothing I’ve said has been negative towards Sony or MS.

But the launch line up for me doesn’t offer enough variety when I’m spending £429 on a bundle and can’t even decide what game I want to play lol. Been considering cancelling and waiting a while, definitely appreciate Sony taking their time but they could have started another dev team on a ps4 launch title.

#18 9 months ago
  19. KAP

Ok. well in that case I’m sorry. I just find kinda sad when many complain for complainig sake over a situation that isn’t that bad, u know.

Sony is the king of exclusives, we all know that from last gen, so there is no need to worry about that with the PS4. All of Sony’s first party studios is working on titles for PS4 as we speak so its all good for everyone I think.

#19 9 months ago
  20. KineticCalvaria

@19, absolutely, the thought of Uncharted on ps4 is enough for me to get a ps4, definitely played more exclusives on ps3 than 360.

#20 9 months ago
  21. Fin

Nothing stands out as an OMG MUST BUY SYSTEM FOR THAT, but how many times has that happened with a console. Twice? Three times?

To have such a number of high-quality (if existing IP) games is unheard of for a system launch.

You can’t have a Mario 64 moment for every time.

#21 9 months ago
  22. KAP

Every launch is the same with very rare exceptions. No console hits it’s stride right out the gate, yet we all seem to think it should when ever a new generation happens. Its hilarious.

#22 9 months ago
  23. viralshag

Let’s be honest though, it’s not the best “PS4 launch line up” it’s just the best “console launch line up”. Most of the must have games are found on all or most of the other systems.

Almost by default this is the best “Xbox One launch line up” too.

#23 9 months ago
  24. polygem

i so wasn´t feeling the nextgen launch in the past few months. ms totally ruined it for me and crushed my nextgen plans for quite a while because i really planned to buy the nextbox – before they revealed it. never was a huge playstation guy and i didn´t really feel the ps4´s first party lineup. i was hoping for something like a new medievil, a daxter game, something like second son at launch…

well – it has changed :)

i´m on fire and cannot wait to get the ps4 with nfs, bf4 and killzone.
    i think i prepared (for me personally) the next gen launch very well: i mainly played on wiiu and 3ds in the last 6 months or so. the fading gen bored me to death and nintendo really delivered some awesome and different game-experiences that helped me through this.

i haven´t touched a shooter for months and i am now really looking forward to play a polished pc-esque battlefield with a brandnew dualshock design.

seriously guys, i´m just a gamer, it´s a new console gen. i am excited. i can´t help it :)

#24 9 months ago
  25. monkeygourmet

Zombi U was a standout launch game for me.

Im just on a second playthrough and the game feels just as fresh as it did last year. Really unique and uses the hardware well. One of the most memorable launch titles I think I have ever played, I would love to see a sequel on Wii U. It was def a system seller for me.

In fact, I think the Wii U had a pretty solid launch, only being let down by third party titles which everybody had already played months before. Nintendoland and NSMBU alongside were great, pity you had to wait another 3 months before anything else came out!

So far with PS4, I can happily wait for the next wave. I’ve seen nothing that strikes me as a killer must have launch exclusive.

#25 9 months ago
  26. polygem

@25: ok – but you will do it – right?

#26 9 months ago
  27. monkeygourmet

Of course! I have no willpower when it comes to new tech!

I think my girlfriend is still after an X1, I will maybe pick up a PS4 in the new year?

Hardly waiting is it?! ;)

#27 9 months ago
  28. monkeygourmet

@Poly

Also, you made a good choice with NFS, looks to be the pick of the third party launch titles, read this, should make your excite level go into overdrive! :

Will look very nice on your new TV! :)

#28 9 months ago
  29. Dyno

LOL, yeah ok…

#29 9 months ago
  30. polygem

@mg:
    “I think my girlfriend is still after an X1″
    i hope you know that you are a very lucky man :)

nice one! looking forward to play some games online next gen. it looks like this will be good fun with much more freedom about how you actually play your online games. destiny looks extremely promising in that regard.
    i am personally not so sure if i will get into xbox again any time soon. i probably will but i don´t think that will be happening in the next few years. it needs a drastic pricecut first, no kinect, slim, white, halo…then i´ll probably bite.

and yeah, i am very happy with my launch game picks now: bf4 60fps/64 players will be fun, nfs looks really good too – will be a fun racer and killzone is the reference title that will hopefully deliver some wow moments and beautiful grafx.

#30 9 months ago
  31. TrickyAudio

Sony nailed the launch in NA.

Even PSN was back up much quicker than I would of thought. Games are pretty good, but not amazing. Then again the Xbox lineup isn’t stellar either.

#31 9 months ago
  32. Djoenz

Well Ryse seems ok. Dead Rising 3 seems cheap to me as I hated dear rising 2 I might be a little biased. Never a fan of racing after Need for Speed in the past.

Titanfall will definitely be a system seller though.

#32 9 months ago
  33. xxJPRACERxx

Mario64 was worth the price of of N64 alone. I remember how much fun I had with this title. I don’t think I had this much fun with a game since then. Halo on Xbox was good, but now I just can’t stand any Halo games.

#33 9 months ago
  34. Legion

“It follows fairly solid scores for Killzone, a negative reaction to Knack, leaving Housemarque’s Resogun as the best-rated PS4 game so far.” So two REAL games get “solid reviews” and “negative reaction” and then an Indie title has the best rate so far… and that then dictates a “PS4 had Sony’s best launch game line-up to date” remark from Koller?

Guy really has low expectations.

#34 8 months ago
  35. lexph3re

Pretty interesting that Knack is so poorly reviewed but everyone I know that has it loves it. The only re-curring thing I hear from everyone is that it looks like it’s possible on PS3. Otherwise it’s been a solid launch for me

#35 8 months ago
  36. Ireland Michael

@35 Already figured this one out myself.

- Reviewers probably only had a very limited amount of time to play through the game. (solely speculation)
    - Too many people (reviewers included) have become adjusted to games being a cakewalk, with challenge now being an “optional” concept even on normal difficulty levels. Hard has become Normal, Normal has become Easy, and Easy has become Casual, or “I want to finish this game without having even the faintest concern for actual gameplay.”
    - Knack actually punishes you if you don’t use it’s gameplay mechanics concisely.
    - People who bought the game wanted the game, so the punishment for playing poorly is an acceptable part of the experience for them.

I have to disagree that the game looks like something that could have been done on current hardware as well. There are a tonne of great, elaborate details in the graphics, especially Knack himself, and it has a very strong aesthetic, on an almost Pixar level. The lighting in the game is sublime.

#36 8 months ago
  37. OlderGamer

After having a chance for some one on one with PS4 yesterday, I have to say that I have mixed feelings.

The controller is fantastic, best ever PS pad I have ever held.

The UI is fine, nothing amazing, nothing horrible.

I was very excited till I started playing a couple of games. I experienced glitches, slow down, poor graphics and was left feeling underwhelmed. Not going into too many details, not looking to invoke fanboy rage. But the limited games that I played screamed launch titles. Nothing to get excited about.

I hope to get my PS4 by the end of this week. And I believe the system has a bright future. However, if you are on the fence, I would wait awhile. Wait for stronger software. Wait for bugs/glitches and the like to be sorted out.

And while it is a PR spin for sure, I wouldn’t agree that the line up of games is all that fantastic.

#37 8 months ago
  38. monkeygourmet

So, why are you getting one?! :)

#38 8 months ago
  39. DrDamn

NeoGAFs famousmortimer posted a good blog about Knack.

“Reviewers probably only had a very limited amount of time to play through the game.”

This. Of Sony’s own making of course but for example how many reviewers who complained about KZ AI tried a play through on a difficulty other than default? Longer play time can reduce review scores, but with some games they are better paced or savoured than devoured in a single sitting.

#39 8 months ago
  40. monkeygourmet

It’s all subjective, and many people may enjoy Knack, but it seems obvious even at a glance that it doesn’t shape up well against other titles in similar genres.

Remember, this was a launch exclusive in a pretty ‘safe’ genre created by one of the systems lead architects.

It should have been pretty damn good.

Also,

I thought Famous Mortimer was a massive Sony fanboy? :)

#40 8 months ago
  41. Ireland Michael

@40 Then why are user opinions of the game so far apart from review opinions? There has to be some reason.

For me, it *is* the highlight game of the launch. Killzone is exceptionally pretty but still just your average shooter. Resogun is a great indie game… but it’s still essentially just Defender with better graphics. Would anyone seriously buy a €400 piece of hardware just for a single indie title?

Anyway, this is all ultimately meaningless. It’s the future of the console that matters, not just the launch. Launch lineups have never defined a console, and it’s naive for anyone to think that it will.

I’ll be upgrading my PC first before I even consider the new console hardware. It’s an update that’s about eight years overdue.

#41 8 months ago
  42. OlderGamer

Resogun :)

And for the same reason I own a WiiU. PS4, I think is going have some amazing games. I want it for that. Plus I have a bit of MS fatigue, so I am buying a PS4 before X1.

#42 8 months ago
  43. DrDamn

“No offence (I haven’t read the article), but you could say that about almost any game ever.”

Oh absolutely, it’s another opinion. What that opinion does, and many reviews don’t do, is make it clear what it is that the opinion is based on. Reviews have become simple opinions, incorporating whatever bias and preference the reviewer has, when in my view a professional review should be a lot more than an opinion. It should attempt to evaluate a game based on what others might like and not just what the reviewer prefers.

The score a game gets in a review is irrelevant, how the reviewer *really* came to that score is the point and that’s the detail which is often missing in amongst trying to write something entertaining and witty or clever.

#43 8 months ago