PS4 sold through 1 million units during first 24 hours of availability in North America

Sunday, 17th November 2013 15:53 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

PlayStation 4 launched on Friday, November 15 in North America, and according to Sony’s figures, the console sold through one million units “during the first 24 hours after it became available.”

Obviously, the firm is very pleased with the figures.

“PS4 was designed with an unwavering commitment to gamers, and we are thrilled that consumer reaction has been so phenomenal,” said Andrew House, president and group CEO, Sony Computer Entertainment.

“Sales remain very strong in North America, and we expect continued enthusiasm as we launch the PlayStation 4 in Europe and Latin America on November 29. We are extremely grateful for the passion of PlayStation fans and thank them for their continued support.”

Sony announced during GDC in August the system had over one million pre-orders, and in October, analyst Michael Pachter stated those figures could be around 1.5 million units. Ubisoft suggested the system’s pre-orders were ahead of Xbox One. So, the actual sold through figure should be greater once more numbers come in and the system launches in other regions.

Other analysts expect the system to move between 2.5 to 3 million units during Q4 2013 in North America.

The launch of PS4 didn’t go off without a hitch though, as some users reported bricking when updating to firmware 1.50; HDMI slot issues were also reported; and PlayStation Network went down under the stress of launch day owners logging into the system.

Hopefully these isolated issues and others reported will be fixed in time for PS4′s launch in Europe on November 29, which Phil Owen said he believed would be the case when he posted his hands-on with the system earlier today.

1. francisjairam16

Wow

#1 10 months ago
  2. jomac3db

Let’s see if Xbone gets as many sold. Looks like everybody chose playstation thought

#2 10 months ago
  3. Zackslacky

They will. Sells like hotcakes in europe.

#3 10 months ago
  4. ActionGameKing

Congrats to Sony for proving that dedicate game consoles aren’t going away.

Next up is Microsoft, who may break that record simply because they are launching in multiple territories day 1.

Also congrats to VG247 for making me visit this site every single day. Now next-gen has begun. I shall begin commenting more often now.

My Hopes & Dreams this gen:- PSVita Comeback, DMC 5

#4 10 months ago
  5. redwood

@3 only in uk.. not in entirety of europe.

#5 10 months ago
  6. USN-Never-Again

I think both systems will be great even though I have a PS4 and I have owned a 360 for many years and a original Xbox. I don’t understand why people get defensive and make fun of people for there console choices. Grow up…

#6 10 months ago
  7. Nephilimator

Sony dominating like usual. Outsold the dvrboxone by 1000000 already. Todal domination from Sony as usual.

#7 10 months ago
  8. Ireland Michael

Not too shabby,

Hopefully both consoles sell strongly and keep the competition going . We wouldn’t want to see either side get complacent or lazy.

#8 10 months ago
  9. jomac3db

Because it gives us something to compete about

#9 10 months ago
  10. ultragamer

@7 You’re right, the only lead the PS3.5 will have is before the Xbox One launches. LOL!

#10 10 months ago
  11. GK

10,you mean x$hit origin 1.5? :D

p.s. PS4 again crush that stinky little bug :D

#11 10 months ago
  12. Ireland Michael

Jesus Christ. What a fucking mess.

#12 10 months ago
  13. bobnice

You know the xbone isnt even released yet right? Also I have a PS4 and im quite honestly underwhelmed. Killzone and Knack suck, I get bored with killzone after 30 minutes of playing it, pretty but generic. And the UI on the ps4 is the same dull UI Sony is known for, I own every sony video game product…even my TV is a sony so trust me im not fanboying. The controller is way better than the Dualshock 3 but it’s still inferior to the Xbox controller. But honestly I think the that as it stands right now, the games and the UI suck. Next Gen isnt just about pretty graphics, its also about gameplay…that goes for console features too, and PS4 seems to be lacking some for me. Maybe if youve only experienced Sony systems and never experienced any other platforms, then you might think this is the best thing in the world. But ir you’ve seen what the competition is bringing to the table is forms of console features then you will realize this system is barebones. Just my opinion though.

#13 10 months ago
  14. Ireland Michael

@13 He’s a troll account.

#14 10 months ago
  15. Gekidami

^ The worst part is that i’m pretty sure its just one guy trolling himself on alt accounts. They appeared on the site at pretty much the same time.

Anyway, as ActionGameKing said, this flies in the face of the end of this gens talk of “console fatigue” and “end of dedicated gaming devices”.

Its the best console début in NA ever, and its a platform being sold to the core. These arent moms and grandmas looking to wave their arms around, these are gamers looking to sit down pad in hand and play.

#15 10 months ago
  16. Ireland Michael

@15 Its a handful of people with their own set of duplicate accounts. Just posted about one of them on the forums.

#16 10 months ago
  17. tom4you

There is a way to save a $10 on PS4 or PS4 games at walmart or target: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lKFBn54dA8

#17 10 months ago
  18. ultragamer

@14 You’re back! Should we be expecting another dramatic threat to leave VG247 anytime soon? LOL!

@15 Sold to the core? What improvements did Sony make to the PS3.5 with the “core” in mind? Is p2p networking a “core” feature? Is the fact you can’t change your ID, a “core” feature? Is the inability to add a USB external drive a “core” feature? Is the fact that a minor acct can’t be change to an adult acct, meaning kids who grew up with the PS3 lose all there stuff, a “core” feature?

Besides the lack of a camera, how is the PS3.5 more of a “core” console? Just because the Xbox One has TV features? The PS3.5 has web browsing and several social media apps too.

#18 10 months ago
  19. Ireland Michael

@18 I don’t think the man with six duplicate accounts is really in any place to lecture anyone about behaviour.

#19 10 months ago
  20. KineticCalvaria

@18, genuine question UG, why do you troll so much? Lol.

#20 10 months ago
  21. Djoenz

For astroturfing you are really doing a bad job. You oughta be sacked.
    What else could explain your multiple accounts. I want to believe you have an actual life and thus do this for a payroll.

EDIT:
    NVM they use different proxies for every acc.

#21 10 months ago
  22. Erthazus

@Gekidami, “and its a platform being sold to the core. These arent moms and grandmas looking to wave their arms around, these are gamers looking to sit down pad in hand and play.”

Playstation White knight. Yeah lol. These guys post pictures of Battlefield 4/Assassins Creed 4 on twitter in small pathetic images (because PS4 can’t do better anyway) with share button and writing at the same time “woah, beautiful!111 Water!111″ as if they saw first time high res texture and in other words “High quality standards have been dumbed down once again”

That is not different from moms or grandmas. So no, these are the same people but younger and dumber. Nothing changes here.

#22 10 months ago
  23. Djoenz

Ive seen crysis 3 or crysis 2 with maxed settings footage and I have to agree I was in awe.

#23 10 months ago
  24. ultragamer

@19 A man who keeps crying wolf about leaving isn’t any better. Grow a pair of balls.

#24 10 months ago
  25. polygem

@24: fuck off

@13: i think i could feel EXACTLY the same nov29….oh man, i hope not but you really pointed out all my concerns about the playstation 4 :)

#25 10 months ago
  26. Ireland Michael

@24 Every occasions I said I was leaving, I did. When the reasons for me leaving were gone (certain users), I came back. Each occasions was about three months. On one occasion I was gone for almost six. Your claim is invalid, and I’m still not the one spamming the community on half a dozen alternate accounts just to try and get reactions out of people. You’ve got issues, buddies.

#26 10 months ago
  27. Python360

God forbid I actually read some comments related to the fucking article!!!

#27 10 months ago
  28. KineticCalvaria

@27, aye it stresses me out just looking at the comments some times.

On topic, well done Sony! Bravo old boy!

#28 10 months ago
  29. ultragamer

@22 “So no, these are the same people but younger and dumber. Nothing changes here.”

LOL!!!

@25 Stop being such a baby and grow a pair. “What games should I get?”, “But I don’t like those games!”, “I really want to like these games but I don’t, what should I do!?”. Good grief! Learn to make up your own mind.

@26 I’m having fun. You’re the one crying and constantly telling the teacher to make the bully stop. Who has the real issues? Stop being such a baby. If you want to leave, go. Why the need for the OVER dramatic exit?

#29 10 months ago
  30. Erthazus

Funny thing though:

We have twitch on the PC long time ago and there are a LOT of amateur streaming videos of people playing games and talk trash.

Now, both consoles in (2013) will have TWITCH integrated in to the consoles and prepubescent kids/Justin Beaber fans will soon discover Twitch/Ustream and there will be thousand of amateur kids streaming Call Of Duty videos in low quality definition with standard mono micros.

Oh man. Can’t wait for that future.

#30 10 months ago
  31. KAP

It’ll be interesting which compay will have sold the most hardware come the 1st of Jan. Thats the true test.

Xbone is 22nd in US and UK, PS4 is 15th US, 29th UK
    So in effect if PS4 sold 1 million already and Xbone sells 2 million come 22nd Its a fair chance PS4 will sell an extra million come end of the month… Its interesting to see who comes on top by the end of the year.

You know the great thing about Twitch and Youtube though mate, you don’t have a gun to your skull and forced to watch someones channel.

Discisions right? A hell of a thing…

#31 10 months ago
  32. Ireland Michael

@27 Indeed.

@29 You have a messed up definition of fun,

I never said I was leaving. I just said the community has gone to shit. It’s why none of us bother with actual discussion at the moment.

#32 10 months ago
  33. ultragamer

@30 LOL! I’m sure IrelandMichelle will stream on Twitch for a week and then announce to the world he’s leaving Twitch, only to be back the following week. ROFL!

@32 Why try to prove me wrong, when other people have seen it? You think it’s just me who thinks it? I’ve seen others comment the exact same thing. You take this crap toooo serious. When I read comments from Erthazus, G!Ga and others, I laugh. Who wants to read boring comments? 50 posts saying, “I love you Sony”, it dull.

#33 10 months ago
  34. KAP

Welcome to the internet. Where everyones right bud.

But I’m different, honest. You dont believe me? WELL @%& Y£&!
    Trololol……. and all that nonesence.

#34 10 months ago
  35. Djoenz

@KAP
    XboxOne will not release in 8 european countries coming 22nd including my lovely Netherlands so you might wanna postpone that deadline :P

#35 10 months ago
  36. KAP

Sorry to hear that man.

#36 10 months ago
  37. TrickyAudio

Very impressive. Europe could be even bigger for them.

#37 10 months ago
  38. Djoenz

When titanfall drops it will be the bomb though. I really looks like a killer app.Fuck Halo but titanfall will be the bomb! They should add samurai mech dlc just for the fuck of it hehe.

#38 10 months ago
  39. Ireland Michael

@34 Indeed.

#39 10 months ago
  40. Zackslacky

People like different consoles. Everyone has a different opinion. Im getting both. Xbox friday and ps in march or may. Console gamers are like religious types they will defend their purchase to the point of war. Now sony and ms should capitalise and do cross gen wars. Ps vs xb1. Now id pay to see that. Since they are both similar would work?

#40 10 months ago
  41. BrahManDude

im happy with mine no problems at all & its pretty impressive how they fixed the network within a day

#41 10 months ago
  42. polygem

@ultraaccounts: funny that a guy using several accounts is telling me that i should make up my mind…you punk can’t even decide who you are. again: would you please just fuck off now?

#42 10 months ago
  43. Francis O

Congrats to Sony, don’t have one yet. Waiting till a few more good games. Mainly FF 15, KH3, Infamous Second Son, a tales games, and God of war

#43 10 months ago
  44. yeoung

@Erthazus;

you complain about these things (impressed people, low res pic sharing) as if they affect you. Have you ever stopped to wonder why?

Do you not see yourself as a guy driving a lambo berating another guy for not being as fast with his fiat punto? Aside from all the perks that come with the pc platform, do you really need to belittle all those that are new to (some) of those perks? Do you need some sort of extra validation for your platform of choice?

I’m genuinely curious

#44 10 months ago
  45. monkeygourmet

@Poly

Lol :D

#45 10 months ago
  46. monkeygourmet

I know what your saying, but Console fanboys do this just as much as Erth.

I.e: PS3 has better looking exclusives etc… Erth just gives them a reality punch or at least, that’s the way I see it! :)

#46 10 months ago
  47. Djoenz

Yeah thats just what makes Erthazus special.
    He is cool as in its ok what he does and say.

#47 10 months ago
  48. CyberMarco

On topic: Good for Sony I guess, still wont get mine until 2015 or something.

@monkey: I would say that people are first arrogant->fanboys not other way around. Whichever platform you’ll chose you’ll always find that irritating prick that is an asshole. If a person doesn’t know how to express his opinions in an educated and polite way he’s just a cunt, regardless of PC/console/iphone/car/football/chocolate etc…

P.S. Why do we always deal with situations like this one on every weekend? Probably too much time for school kids…

#48 10 months ago
  49. yeoung

@46:

While I appreciate the sentiment, this is exactly why I’m referring to him as Erthazus, the individual, rather than “pc-gamer-insult-du-jour”.

Secondly, while I can appreciate his fact-based rhetoric in terms of specs and features, his conclusions border on kindergarten sophistry. It’s just odd for someone who clearly revels in comparing factual data to completely disregard that m.o in order to glorify a platform which is already inherently superior in terms of feature-sets.

#49 10 months ago
  50. Nephilimator

Just think once Sony claims all the broken replacements as units sold like Microsoft does with their shit garbage 56% fail rate, Sony will be leading in sales by 4 to 5 million in the first quarter. Sony dominating like normal just like last generation starting a year behind and still outselling shitbox1.5 at the end of the day. Damn Sony is amazing at this.

#50 10 months ago
  51. Djoenz

What nonsense is this? You can predict the future? Witchcraft!

#51 10 months ago
  52. Zackslacky

His a troll dude. Dont encourage him.

#52 10 months ago
  53. lexph3re

So glad I don’t contribute here as much as I did in the past. All this time arguing and it seems like no one is actually enjoying the articles. What’s worse is how long some of you have been on this page and you are the same exact stories you were over the last 3 years I been visiting. Still cynical, still crying the same tears over things you don’t have and still attacking the same people.

It’s just ridiculous, on topic nice day 1 sells I have been having a ball with my ps4 streaming and sharing are defo the best aspects. The graphics are pretty for a launch games but resogun is currently my favorite. Warframe is very polished and easy to get into. Black light although still beta is nice fast pace action and going from games to music/movies is great. Remote play is also fantastic I am trying to test if I link a friends vita o my ps4 would he later be able to remote in and play from his house and I watch. Other then that I have had minor hiccups that restarting the device fixed no problem.

Lots of great features and lots of potential for the future

#53 10 months ago
  54. Fin

+1, so fuckin hard

#54 10 months ago
  55. yeoung

@53:

Curious, have you tried the party chat yet?

#55 10 months ago
  56. lexph3re

Yes and it works great. You can use it with vita users and ps4 all in the same chat. Also, they let you know how rare trophies are now as well as what device your friends are playing a game on

#56 10 months ago
  57. Dragon

@lex,
    What? You gaming on PS4 and not wasting time on VG247?

I already knew though ;)

#57 10 months ago
  58. yeoung

Nice.. Nice.

#58 10 months ago
  59. tenthousandgothsonacid

Oh surprise surprise lolconnor didn’t leave again.

I look forward to the new site with an ‘ignore’ button when we can finally force him to stick to his word.

#59 10 months ago
  60. Ireland Michael

@56 The rarity feature is a pretty cool addition, indeed. I hope they take a hint from the X1 and also implement some sort or community like achievements – for special events and competitions and such.

@59 Not really sure why this keeps being brought up since I never said I was going anywhere.

The new site won’t have an ignore feature, I’m afraid, but it would be immensely appreciated just so you wouldn’t be clogging up the comments section with such utterly pointless posts.

#60 10 months ago
  61. Legendaryboss

Very good start for PS4, now lets see how Xbox One goes with their global lunch. I’m very interested in seeing reviews for exclusives, console and the games.

I think barring any potential low failure rate and server issues things should go well.

#61 10 months ago
  62. Zackslacky

Agreed man. We can all agree on one thing? No one wants a bricked console on either platform. All gamers here.

#62 10 months ago
  63. CycloneFox

corrct me, if i’m wrong but wasn’t the wii the most selling console yet with about 400k at day one in the us? (i think xb360 had about 300k and ps3 about 140k) . that would make the ps4 incredibly successfull.
    i suppose it’ll be even more successful in europe and of course in japan. i think gb is the ony country where i could imagine more sells for xboxone.

#63 10 months ago
  64. Luciferous

@61 Mmmm… Global Lunch :3

12 days for those for those of us in the UK (and Europe I think)! Getting rather excited :D

Numbers like this early on help encourage some riskier games on the platform because there will be more people around to buy them.

Although I’m mostly curious about Rime at the moment, something about that has seriously got hold of my attention.

#64 10 months ago