Xbox One dashboard showcased in live 12-minute video

Friday, 8th November 2013 11:20 GMT By Dave Cook

Xbox One’s dashboard has been shown off in a new 12-minute ‘live’ demo, courtesy of Microsoft. It shows how the console’s many apps and UI features work of-screen so you can get a feel for how it will work in your living room.

The clip was published by Microsoft last night and sees Yusuf Mehdi and Marc Whitten playing around with the interface and discussing Xbox One’s myriad features.

It follows Stace’s final Xbox One pre-launch hands on impressions. Check out what he through through the link.

What do you make of the above?

1. Ireland Michael

What a hideous, bland mess. That entire interface is utterly charmless.

#1 11 months ago
  2. VibraniumSpork

^^^ I don’t know, I kinda like the Tile thing. Each to their own I guess.

#2 11 months ago
  3. CyberMarco

Be lazy as fuck, with the power of Kinect and teh Cloud! -.-

#3 11 months ago
  4. monkeygourmet

Yeah, I think it looks clean and efficiant.

Im actually really liking Windows 8 on my PC, don’t know why it gets so much shit.

#4 11 months ago
  5. Ireland Michael

@2 It works okay as the main dash, but making it part of literally every menu and page just looks horrible.

Metro works well when it compliments a design, but when it’s the whole damn thing, it’s just painful to look it. Empty space and giant boxes everywhere.

And this is coming from someone who actually likes Windows 8 and the current Xbox 360 dashboard.

#5 11 months ago
  6. TrickyAudio

I like how you can finally change the tile colour, thats nice. But there is a lot going off on that screen, its more Windows than ever.

“Xbox go home” could have been worded better, always makes me chuckle.

#6 11 months ago
  7. monkeygourmet

Im guessing you can customise the boxes to have pictures attached? Not sure about that though…

#7 11 months ago
  8. CyberMarco

Can it read the skeleton of the dog? :P

#8 11 months ago
  9. monkeygourmet

Why do you have the ‘skeleton of a dog’ in your house… o_O

Serial killer detected…

:D

#9 11 months ago
  10. Hcw87

Looks pretty damn smooth to me.

#10 11 months ago
  11. Christopher Jack

Frankly I’d prefer a list to a bunch of random tiles. Sure the tile is fine just for the main menu when I want to enter a category such as my videos folder but it’s just a pain browsing through hundreds of videos- especially when many interfaces go by most recent rather than alphabetical order. I was probably one of the few that preferred the XMB to the Xbox 360 UI. Not as pretty but much tidier, in fact I’d preferred Sony kept it for the PS4 while simply modernizing it.

#11 11 months ago
  12. Fin

Man their UI is slick as fuck.

Pity about the system :’(

#12 11 months ago
  13. Ireland Michael

@11 The XMB will still be on the PS4 interface, but it’s accessed above the main feed area, which looks to be the first thing you see when logging in.

#13 11 months ago
  14. Obernox

Next-gen UI sucks :( XMB and the FIRST 360 dashboard were the best.

#14 11 months ago
  15. FeaturePreacher

It’s a first draft I guess. But I hope the windows 8 influence doesn’t pin the xbone interface down. An album cover flow interface would be nice in the future.

#15 11 months ago
  16. DrDamn

Does look pretty swish and categories are simplified from before too – which is good. Voice commands seemed to be picked up quickly and multi-user stuff is clever. I don’t like the reappearance of pins so much – I’d prefer the interface be more customisable like a phone. Pins still seems like a work around for the usual route being a bit cumbersome. They seem more prominent than before though, which is good.

Overall I expect feature wise it is better than the PS4 UI, both look to be huge improvements on before – certainly in terms of speed and underlying design. Sony haven’t hamstrung themselves with reserved memory/resources this time either, so I’d expect lots of room to develop from both.

#16 11 months ago
  17. Swedish_dude

It’s something “cool” to show your friends the first 5 minutes. But why the h*** would I be talking to my xbox when im alone? It’s going to be much faster to just press the “home” button.
    Kinect doesn’t ad anything that I want or need, it’s ugly first of all, i dont want that above my LED, it’s destroys the whole esthitics. It’s going to be too much hastle trying to get the damn thing to hear what you are trying to say. Unless microsoft has revolutionized voicerecognition we all know what its going to be like, try SIRI.

#17 11 months ago
  18. TrickyAudio

@14 truth!

#18 11 months ago
  19. G1GAHURTZ

Looks slick!

#19 11 months ago
  20. monkeygourmet

@DrDamn

“both look to be huge improvements on before – certainly in terms of speed and underlying design.”

Agree here!

BTW, Are you installing a SSD in your PS4?

#20 11 months ago
  21. monkeygourmet

Unplug it?

#21 11 months ago
  22. polygem

i think it looks solid. looks like it´ll be easy to navigate and fun to use. i really like the dash navigation with the lb rb buttons. it´s just smooth.
    i am sceptical about the ps4 ui. i liked some things about the xmb but the psn store really is a complete clusterfucked disaster. i am pretty sure that the ms ui and marketplace will be better…unfortunately everything else about the x1 is a turn off for me. everything but the ui and the controller.

#22 11 months ago
  23. TrickyAudio

@21 Thats probably what I would do If I were to buy an Xbox, but it’s gash you have to pay for something you’d just unplug anyway.

#23 11 months ago
  24. Bomba Luigi

What I really miss and no one wants to do anymore is… Options. Why does everybody want to force one Specific Design on the User? MS, Sony, Nintendo or right now YouTube again, why not give People a set of Designs to chose from? You liked the Old Xbox 360 Dashboard from a few Years ago? Fine, use it if you want, or use the new one, because Options.

I really don’t understand that. Options are a good thing, because the more Options you have the more People you can make Happy.

#24 11 months ago
  25. polygem

^BRING BACK THE BLADES!
    seriously, i liked those…

#25 11 months ago
  26. viralshag

I think it looks great.

#26 11 months ago
  27. DrDamn

@MG
    “BTW, Are you installing a SSD in your PS4?”

Too pricey for the size I’d need. 500GB will do me for a bit, might invest in an SSHD further down the line.

#27 11 months ago
  28. TheBlackHole

My daughter will love using full screen skype – that functionality really is awesome. Auto tracking etc is very cool.

The upload studio looks very cool too. Intuitive.

#28 11 months ago
  29. mal617

Dopeness

#29 11 months ago
  30. monkeygourmet

Make sure she doesn’t ‘dun goof’! :)

#30 11 months ago
  31. livewired500

Well, looks pretty much like Windows8 which everyone loves to complain about.

#31 11 months ago
  32. fearmonkey

@31 – Yeah but here it actually can be usefull, since it has Kinect and a controller. Windows 8 gets alot of grief as its a touchscreen OS for many people that dont have touchscreens.

It’s pretty much an enhanced version of the 360 UI, for better or worse.
    It also copied Steam’s activity feature I see, which is a good thing to add.

I just can’t see myself talking to my Xbox they way they are doing in the video, I’d rather just use buttons.

A better use of Kinect would have taken the tech they did with Milo, and making that an AI that you can naturally talk to, that remembers Birthdays, family members, but nothing too elaborate. If Seaman on the Dreamcast could do it, any current machine could.

#32 11 months ago
  33. IrrationalGamer

This isn’t representative of the Xbox experience until I see tires, Doritos, Home Depot, and the like taking up the biggest blocks and getting in the way of the fun. Can’t wait to see the Youtube clips after the One is out in the wild.

#33 11 months ago
  34. Ireland Michael

@32 The main problem with that is that Milo was never actually a thing, and was nothing more than smoke and mirrors.

Seaman was incredibly basic, contrary to our nostalgia. An interface like that would manage a few canned phrases at most… and personally speaking, I really don’t want technology trying to emulate people anyway. If I want to talk out loud, I’ll go talk to an actual human being.

#34 11 months ago