Xbox One to “start ahead” of PS4, will last “conservatively a decade,” says Microsoft

Wednesday, 6th November 2013 19:54 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Microsoft expects Xbox One to “start ahead” of PlayStation 4 in terms of the experiences it can deliver, according to the firm’s Canadian Xbox director of marketing who also noted the console is preselling 2-to-1 over Xbox 360.

Speaking with GI International during the firm’s X13 showcase event in Toronto, Craig Flannagan said the system is “built for the future,” and will last “conservatively 10 years.”

Flannagan feels Xbox Live and the company’s focus on social integration will give it the edge over PlayStation 4 and Wii U, as well as the game lineup as Xbox One exclusives won twice the awards of both competitors during E3.

“I’ve been here for the launch of Xbox 360,” he said. “I was here for the launch of Kinect. This is far and away the biggest launch we’ve ever done. It’s the most hardware we’ve ever produced. It’s the most we’ve ever pre-sold. We’re preselling a little over 2-to-1 from what we did with Xbox 360.

“Xbox One is going to start ahead, in terms of the experience we can deliver, and because we’re built for the future, we’re going to stay ahead. I think there is not a better experience you can buy this holiday, and there will not be a time this generation where there’s a better experience you can buy than Xbox One…And it’s probably going to be a pretty long generation.

“We’re probably here for a while because we’re built for the future. This is a console that will last you, conservatively a decade, if I had to put a bet down today.”

The Xbox One consumer pick up at retail in two weeks won’t be the same console a five years in, according to Flannagan.

“Much like 360, Xbox One’s not going to look a whole lot five years from now like it does now,” he said. “I don’t know where it’s going to go, but that’s kind of fun because we’re built for the future. We do have a connection; we can change what things look like and how it performs.”

Xbox One releases in various territories on November 22.

1. Joe Anderson

Guess he would say that. Just enjoy whatever console you buy. Not much between either of them.

Xbox One to “start ahead” of PS4 although it’ll reboot halfway through. hehe :D

#1 1 year ago
  2. Jovy

Said Xbox marketing director.

#2 1 year ago
  3. SuperGamerDude

Oooh that was a crafty headline if ever there was one ;)

#3 1 year ago
  4. mistermogul

“built for the future”

I hope so because with the RROD fiasco 360 certainly wasn’t!

#4 1 year ago
  5. Belazur

HAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHA!
    Said who? Yep, a Microsoft member.
    Hilarious!

There is no reason to buy a XboxOne, if you don’t have a PS4.

Protip: Buy a PS4 and later a WiiU.
    Perfect couple of consoles!

#5 1 year ago
  6. livewired500

I think MS took marketing lessons from Obama.

#6 1 year ago
  7. salarta

Water vapor to become ice ahead of water, will last conservatively until it melts, says water vapor.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Silent Killer01

*Xbox Live Gold required

#8 1 year ago
  9. tenthousandgothsonacid

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

#9 1 year ago
  10. schnide

So like Sony said the PS3 would last ten years when it launched (which looks like it will)?

Microsoft are even ripping off Sony’s launch PR now? I’m embarrassed for MS, I really am.

#10 1 year ago
  11. polygem

@5:

“Protip: Buy a PS4 and later a WiiU.
    Perfect couple of consoles”

this will be my setup on nov 29

i guess that means i kinda agree

#11 1 year ago
  12. DarkElfa

1998 called, they want their all-caps laughing back.

Seriously, I don’t disagree with your reasoning, but all-caps laughing is lame and makes you look like a lunatic, Arkham style.

#12 1 year ago
  13. Legendaryboss

I knew you would like that comment, probably getting all giddy now ;)

#13 1 year ago
  14. Ekona

Can the PS4 match the Kinect? No, it can’t, so he’s right in saying that the Xbone has experiences the PS4 cannot match. Whether they’ll stay ahead is another thing altogether.

#14 1 year ago
  15. sebastien rivas

I like the “conservatively” meaning it is a wish but reality… not sure

#15 1 year ago
  16. fearmonkey

MS is going to be disappointed me thinks.

I think the time to get an Xbox One is when they launch the next Halo, and they pull out all the stops for it,

#16 1 year ago
  17. Unknown_Gamer

A decade of 720p’s .

#17 1 year ago
  18. freedoms_stain

I don’t really see how either of them can possibly start ahead when they’re launching almost simultaneously.

If anyone starts ahead it’s going to be whoever can get most units on the shelves before Christmas.

We’ll see how things look after NEXT Christmas. That’s when things will start to tell if there is any discernable “leader”.

#18 1 year ago
  19. MrWaffles

Start ahead my ass.

Had Microsoft planned to launch the One with a full DVR, Xbox Music + NFL bundle, no added costs, then it would leave PS4 in the dust for the first 3 years, dominating the rest of the decade.

But as of now, it’s really just an expensive box that asks you to invest even more money to deliver any advantageous value.

#19 1 year ago
  20. Nephilimator

We are positioned very well to start ahead with inferior hardware. Just please buy our shit guys, we promise you will get a Halo by 2014.

#20 1 year ago
  21. TheBlackHole

That headline is pure clickbait. Poor form Steph.

He never mentions any other formats by name.

#21 1 year ago
  22. omakone

So MS built a console that looks like an old Betamax player that allows you to plug in your cable box at a time when people are cutting cable and going to internet based solutions. Way to be ahead of the game Microsoft

Oh yeah it plays games in 720P, while the competition is concentrating on making a great game console at a lower price.

#22 1 year ago
  23. dexfx69

Clickbait. Blah.

#23 1 year ago
  24. The_Red

Holy mother of god, Xbox team has been possessed by the ghost of Sony’s past.

Built for future, 10 years… That is exactly what Sony was saying when their $600 console was getting bad hype. Of course they were lucky that 360 had RROD or else, their console would been destroyed in the next 1-2 years. Let’s see if MS also gets their luck and PS4s are indeed overheating because if not, they are ****ed.

#24 1 year ago
  25. RefuseBunny

So what I get from this story is “We’re going to make the Xbox One always online again in 5 years time and increase the ad’s.”

#25 1 year ago
  26. Hcw87

Which part of your fanboy brain told you that?

#26 1 year ago
  27. Ilovesony

My interview with Penello Part 2:

Me: So why do you guys constantly state facts about your system that have nothing to do with gaming?

Penello: We here at microsoft are versitile… Our system is built for the future… we are ready for the flying cars. you can put your Xbox One in a flying car!!!… In the future.

Me: See that just what Im talking about!! Gamers are interested in games.. what can you say about your games?

Penello: well…. We got exclusive content coming… In the future…

Me: Okay we get that.. but the PS4 launch is less then a week away..

Penello: It is? (wipes sweat from brow).. well our system comes out right after that.. and we will ship more units then our competitors…In the future

Me: Really?… Ok lets go back..

Penello: To the Future?

Me: NO!! look… I preordered a PS4 what can you tell me that will persuade me to cancel my preorder and get a Xbox One?

Penello: Well… Our system cuts on faster then PS4

Me: What?

Penello: Let me finish…. our system can read QR Codes.. it plays Music CDs…

Me: So does my computer…

Penello: Is it from the future?

Me: Okay…this interview is over…

Penello: NOW HOLD ON!! I get paid alot of money to talk about this system and now its selling 2 to 1 against our own system.. and thats all that matters… OUR SYSTEM IS BUILT FOR THE FUTURE… THE FUTURE IS WHERE ITS AT.. OUR GAMES ARE FUTURISTIC… WE LOVE THE ALBUM FROM THAT RAPPER NAMED FUTURE!!! 20 YEARS FROM NOW… WHEN YOU ARE STILL PLAYING OUR SYSTEM YOU WILL SAY “THEY WERE RIGHT” THIS IS THE FUTURE… THE FUTURE IS NOW!!!

Me: Okay.. calm down sir…

Penello: You are focusing on today… we are ready for..

Me: Let me guess… The Future?

Penello: YES!! now you get it.. Do you need a job?

Me: Thank you for your time sir…

Penello: (Crying).. You will be back!!!…. (Whispers) In the future…

#27 1 year ago