Kojima aiming for photorealistic visuals in Metal Gear Solid 5

Thursday, 31st October 2013 13:38 GMT By Phil Owen

With the FOX Engine, Metal Gear Solid 5 looks great both on current-gen systems as well as the new ones, but “great” isn’t the goal — Kojima says they want “photo-realistic graphic quality.”

Essentially, then, he’s saying MGSV looks best in still screenshots. Having seen the game in action, and also having looked at these new shots from the game we posted last night, I think he’s right, but that’s not unique to this game.

1. Ireland Michael

Human beings, the one thing we can’t perfectly emulate.

#1 10 months ago
  2. monkeygourmet

Simple solution… Make it a FPS…

Who wants to stare at Snake’s ass for 40 hours anyway?

I imagined you smoking a big joint while you said that. :)

#2 10 months ago
  3. Dragon

“Human beings, the one thing we can’t perfectly emulate.”
    We will. Soon. For where there is a will, there is a way.
    Nothing is impossible.

#3 10 months ago
  4. YoungZer0

@1: … yet.

#4 10 months ago
  5. Ireland Michael

@2 Hah. Yeah, no, bit of a straight edger here I’m afraid. I’ll take that as a compliment though. =P

@3 I’m sure you know what the uncanny valley is. Even when Beyond: Two Souls is at it’s best, there’s always this strange feeling in your stomach that makes me feel uncomfortable looking at these facsimiles of human being.

It’s far easier to connect with someone that doesn’t attempt to look super-realistic and emphasises characteristics of human expression (The Walking Dead), than something hat tries to be photo realistic (Beyond: Two Souls).

Human nature will always win out over design, no matter how good the graphics get. We’re psychologically predisposed to be view things that way.

#5 10 months ago
  6. Dragon

@5,
    What is human nature? Just the way humans behave.
    On a tangent note, its just like robots. We just need to develop the AI, and no one will be able to differentiate.

“We’re psychologically predisposed to be view things that way.”
    It may be your personal experience, but I disagree. We just need better graphics.
    Tell me about it 20 years from now :D

#6 10 months ago
  7. Tormenter

I’m sick of photorealism in games, it’s so boring and completely lacks any imagination.

I’d much rather loads of colour and fantasical, or at the very least, highly exaggerated design.

#7 10 months ago
  8. G-Sama

@Ireland Michael
    You : Die Graphics ! You don’t belong in this world ..

Graphics :It Was not by my hand that i was once again given photo-realistic pictures. I was called here by .. Developers , who wish to pay me a tribute.

You : Tribute ? you steal men’s shapes and make them your textures !

Graphics : perhaps the same could be said of all video games .

You : Your words are as empty as your gameplay ! gamerkind ill needs an eye candy such as you !

Graphics : What is a gamer ?! *throws controller* A miserable little pile of fanboyism ! But enough talk, have at you!

#8 10 months ago
  9. Ireland Michael

@9 Funny. =P

I was very tempted to quite Cadtlevania earlier. No idea why. You did a better job of it. Hahaha.

#9 10 months ago
  10. JimFear-666

Kojima aim to say more bullshit than ever with metal gear solid 5.

#10 10 months ago
  11. Hyperx64

Looking awesome Kojima (the game I mean).

#11 10 months ago
  12. DeyDoDoughDontDeyDough

You can have all the photorealistic visuals you like, but if your characters are saying things like, “the cyborg ninja eye is reformed from your uncle’s dropped-off penis” it matters for nowt.

#12 10 months ago