Titanfall developer will make PS4 games – possibly even Titanfall 2

Wednesday, 30th October 2013 02:15 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Titanfall isn’t coming to PlayStation 4, but its sequels are likely to, and so are other games from Respawn Entertainment.

Responding to fans on Twitter today, Repawn co-founder Vince Zampella said “of course” the developer will make games for the PS4.

“Just not the first Titanfall,” he said, implying sequels are likely to come to Sony consoles.

In a separate tweet, Zampella said Titanfall had always been a Microsoft exclusive at launch, but that the lifetime exclusivity mentioned in EA’s financials today is a recent development.

“Always MS exclusive at launch, great partner and focus is good for a startup. EA made a deal for the rest, we only found out recently,” he said.

Titanfall is due at the end of March 2014, on PC, Xbox 360 and Xbox One.

1. Crapgamer

This is the thing, Microsoft probably has first rights to make the other games exclusive as well. If TitanFall sells 5-10 million copies on Xbox One and pushes sales through the roof, Microsoft has the money to lock it up.

If you read what Vince said when asked via Twitter, he said they would make PS4 games. Never said TitanFall. This is huge news for Microsoft and helps stop all the rumors swirling that the game was only a timed exclusive. November 22nd needs to get here, then buying time until March 11th, 2014!

#1 10 months ago
  2. LebanesePride

I had hoped for titanfall on ps4. Great exclusive guys! Hope we get something like this. I doubt it though, since Sony tends for more creative games.

#2 10 months ago
  3. LebanesePride

Holy shit that came out wrong. Titanfall is creative, lol. But sony isn’t much for shooters besides killzone and resistance.

#3 10 months ago
  4. G1GAHURTZ

@1:

There was never any evidence for it being a timed exclusive, and Respawn never gave anyone a single reason to think it would be.

It was just a few wishful thinkers, who wanted to try and rain on the X1 parade as much as they could.

MS have basically worked alongside Respawn in the development of this game, and they’re now giving them free servers. Free servers that would otherwise be very, very expensive for them.

If they ever do develop a game on PS4, they may well start off by asking Sony to give them the same treatment. Which I doubt they would do.

#4 10 months ago
  5. ShiiRo

@4 They never gave people a reason to think it wouldn be released on the PS4? Here’s what Respawn said when they were asked about a PS4 version

“Let’s put it plainly: will PlayStation owners ever see Titanfall?

“It’s definitely not out of the question,” Emslie replied. “We have a huge appreciation for the fans. Coming out and showing it to everybody, we’re super nervous and wanted to make sure everybody loved it. We love all our fans, whatever console they support.

“So yeah. We want to make everybody happy, but this is where we’re at right now.”

This isn’t the only time they said that either. In other interviews Respawn specifically refused to say that the game was fully exclusive to MS platforms. That’s why Vince said that they only recently found out that EA made a deal to make it a complete exclusive.

#5 10 months ago
  6. ddtd

@3 – LOL

#6 10 months ago
  7. CrazyDave

Huge blow at E3, and STILL a huge blow for PS4…

#7 10 months ago
  8. G1GAHURTZ

@5:

I said “timed exclusive”. I didn’t say that Respawn had ruled it ever coming to PS4 out completely.

A timed exclusive means that they fully intend to release on PS4, and are just waiting for a specific date to announce the game.

They never gave anyone a single reason to believe that this would be the case.

Do you honestly think that they would just come out and say ‘No, we’re never going to release on PS4′, before this announcement? That would be pretty silly, which is why they pretty much said ‘you can never say never’.

There were people saying all sorts of things like “It’s a confirmed timed exclusive”, and that it was definitely coming to PS4. That was complete nonsense.

Respawn never said that. The never said anything about timed exclusivity, and they neither did EA, or anyone else.

#8 10 months ago
  9. ShiiRo

@8 You said that Respawn never gave people any indication that it was a timed exclusive, but they did and that quote shows that. If it had been a permanent exclusive back then they could’ve said that there was no chance of it being released on the PS4. And that would’ve ruled out the possibility of it being a timed exclusive. The fact that they didn’t say that absolutely pointed toward it being timed exclusive at the time.

#9 10 months ago
  10. OmegaSlayer

Do you really think that with a time exclusive deal in place, EA or Respawn would say: “hold on ;) f! Microsoft we will release the game on other systems”
    This is PR and I’m amused that loads of people still believes to this stuff.
    I’m not saying this will definitely come to PS4, just that even if a PS4 version is in the making you would get.
    When me and other people were asking for a Mass Effect 1 port on PS3 on the Bioware forums we got denials over denials and locked threads when the game was already in development.
    Don’t believe PR shit guys.
    The game might come or not but don’t believe what PR say.
    There might have been a big backlash from MS towards EA because Respawn let people understood the game might have come, thus these kind of answers.

#10 10 months ago
  11. Joe Musashi

Regardless of my personal view of the game itself, this kind of thing is GOOD for the consumers. If Titanfall’s future is as rosey as many are predicting I can see it easily establishing itself as the Gears of War (3rd party ‘exclusive’ IP) for this coming generation.

Why is it good? Competition. Nobody, regardless of their fondness of one brand over another brand, wants the console companies to become complacent and comfortable. Keep them hungry and striving for your dollar and loyalty.

If I’m honest, the thing I’m most interested to see regarding the positioning of the game is just what EA and Microsoft do about monetizing Titanfall. Both companies have an interesting track record in this area.

JM

#11 10 months ago
  12. polygem

this game looks like a game i’d love to check out but it doesn’t look like a game i’d really miss out on -personally. i played a lot of shooters, i love halo, played a good share of cod as well. this looks like an even faster paced cod with mechs. i’m sure it will be fun but i’ve grown out of this. in the shooter department the only game i am looking forward to is destiny. it looks like a game/ franchise i can play for the whole gen and maybe even beyond that. a game i can play with friends at my own pace and style. i can see the appeal of titanfall but it just leaves me cold. it pushes the buttons of the 20/30 yo me but it just doesn’t do the trick these days. not saying this is a bad thing. this is just an opinion. saying this because i’ve spotted joe somewhere around :)

#12 10 months ago
  13. zoopdeloop

@10 Exactly :)
    PR and damage control right there.We heard this many times before… i mean c’mon it’s EA,and in before anyone says “yeah but ps4 might get it years later”…so what?A single game doesn’t define Xbox One or the whole next generation.
    The way i see it Titanfall gets over hyped by press and fans because it’s only on Microsoft’s consoles(PC aside).If Bungie’s Destiny was in it’s place (which IMO is far more interesting)it would be treated the same if not even better,especially since it’s being made by the HALO makers ;)

#13 10 months ago
  14. DrDamn

It’s very interesting that this has been properly tied up now. Shows MS are still a little shaken and as you said, regardless of personal feelings on wanting to play the game, a hungry for your money MS is a good thing.

#14 10 months ago
  15. DrDamn

Also interesting to include the full tweet from Zampella.

“Always MS exclusive at launch, great partner and focus is good for a startup. EA made a deal for the rest, we only found out recently =(”

Note the smiley. Suggests they aren’t happy about the deal or at least how the deal has come about.

#15 10 months ago
  16. OmegaSlayer

Competition is good for the consumers…meh, this is not sane competition.
    What Microsoft does is a desperate attempt to save their lack of long term planning.
    Microsoft don’t compete, they don’t want a piece of the pie, they want all the pie, and they bribe through pie slices.

Third party exclusives are bad for gaming industry since the publisher/developer loses money for not being on a platform.
    And I think it’s idiot.
    If you console manufacturer want exclusives, build your own studios.
    If Microsoft wouldn’t have moneyhatted Titanfall with at least 50 millions (that would be the net revenue for 3 millions copies sold on PS4), both XBone and PS4 users would have had Titanfall launch day and Microsoft could have developed an original true exclusive title.

@Irani
    Nice articulated point you got there.
    I heard these kind of highly philosophical argumentations at junior schools from people that had short penises and couldn’t admit it.
    Please leave the hell out of here and go masturbate in front of your kinect.

#16 10 months ago
  17. Erthazus

@G1GA,
    “They’re now giving them free servers. Free servers that would otherwise be very, very expensive for them.”

Ahahaha… Gosh. Your Xbone fanboyism is beyond anything.

“MS have basically worked alongside Respawn in the development of this game”

If they worked together, there would be “Microsoft Game Studios” logo alongside Respawn. So in other words another of your fictional fanboyism for young little girls.

You are such a pedophile. Srsly. Free servers for the PC cost a lot too I guess for every game and Titanfall too.

By the way, Sony has much bigger Online infrastructure for gaming then any of the Xbox division period. Just for your info. They have Sony Online entertainment that develops MMO games like Planetside 2 which is to date the biggest online FPS, even bigger then Battlefield games in terms of Online infrastructure.
    Not to mention that Sony allows connectivity between Eve Online and CCP’s DUST 514 and so far it is the only game that does That well and it’s not that easy to do.

#17 10 months ago
  18. zoopdeloop

@19 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woDjWnR9Nns

#18 10 months ago
  19. Erthazus

@19, sony fanboys can play Titanfall on the PC.

#19 10 months ago
  20. DrDamn

“You are such a pedophile.”

Really Erth? Totally unacceptable. Are you planning on moving on to rape jokes next?

#20 10 months ago
  21. Erthazus

@22, It is acceptable. Because my joke has to do with reality at the same level as G1GA’s assumptions about Free servers and Xbox One superiority thing.
    and no, I hate rape jokes.

#21 10 months ago
  22. Fin

“So in other words another of your fictional fanboyism for young little girls.

You are such a pedophile.”

What the FUCK

#22 10 months ago
  23. Legendaryboss

Banhammer incoming… Possibly.

#23 10 months ago
  24. TheBlackHole

@25 Let’s hope so. Had enough of shit like that. Unacceptable Erth, even for you.

As for people suggesting that this is a desperate move from MS, I think you’ll find it’s pretty standard. They did the same with Mass Effect last gen, and also GoW.

They won’t have the MS Studios logo on it because it’s an EA Partners game. EA don’t want to give up any real estate or revenue on this because they know it’s going to be beast.

#24 10 months ago
  25. Dragon

Hope some mod sees this.
    Erthazus has lost it.

#25 10 months ago
  26. DrDamn

I wouldn’t say it’s a desperate move, but they are certainly trying to step things up a bit based on the current situation. I think they were reasonably happy with an exclusivity period, but now wanted to make the move to keep it off other platforms. As I mentioned above whilst this is annoying if you were hoping for it to come to other platforms it is positive in terms of the intent and fight MS is demonstrating.

#26 10 months ago
  27. TheBlackHole

@28 Agreed. I think you hit the nail on the head there.

#27 10 months ago
  28. G1GAHURTZ

Oh dear…

#28 10 months ago
  29. Legendaryboss

Surprising ain’t it?

#29 10 months ago
  30. DSB

The fact that it’s an exclusive could really hurt it though.

I mean the Xbox crowd loves them some shooter, but I was really getting my hopes up for Titanfall as a world beater. As an exclusive I don’t think it’s gonna beat 4 million.

Unless I’m totally underestimating the 360 factor. I guess it could blow up in one of those rare instances where everybody tells everybody else it’s great, and everybody runs to the store. But I dunno.

#30 10 months ago
  31. G1GAHURTZ

@31:

About as surprising as opening a box of matches, and finding a match.

#31 10 months ago
  32. Legendaryboss

Anyway i will just repeat what i said earlier seeing as it fits this scenario, once again:

I have no incentive/reasoning to believe what has been stated about exclusivity, when history on similar situations contradicts itself.

#32 10 months ago
  33. DrDamn

It’ll sell more on 360 and PC than X1 simply based on potential purchasers. What MS are paying for is no PS3/PS4 version.

#33 10 months ago
  34. G1GAHURTZ

I guess at ~2m on PC, ~3m on X1, and ~6m on 360.

So I’d say that they were looking at at least 10m copies before the sequel.

#34 10 months ago
  35. DSB

@36 Oooo, specific!

Wow, 6 mil on the 360? That’s almost Halo numbers, dude.

For the first month (majority sales) I would say 1,2 mil on PC tops, maybe 2 mil on X1.

The 360 is an unknown quantity. But I guess now that I think about it, it might break 2 as well. I don’t think you can discount how fast people get turned off old consoles. Stranger’s Wrath syndrome.

That’s well past 5! Hmmm…

I guess they do have both Microsoft and EAs marketing machine pushing it, so maybe I’m too pessimistic there. It’ll be interesting to see.

#35 10 months ago
  36. Legendaryboss

That is a lofty achievement, which would surprise me if it happens.

My bet is 5 million, maybe 8 million before T2.

#36 10 months ago
  37. G1GAHURTZ

Well, according to vgchartz, it would be in the company of these games if it sold ~6m on 360:

Call of Duty: Black Ops (14.01m)
    Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (13.96m)
    Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (13.08m)
    Halo 3 (11.80m)
    Halo: Reach (9.44m)
    Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (8.93m)
    Halo 4 (8.40m)
    Call of Duty: World at War (6.97m)
    Battlefield 3 (6.93m)
    Gears of War 2 (6.63m)
    Halo 3: ODST (6.17m)
    Gears of War (6.01m)
    Gears of War 3 (5.92m)

And with all of the awards and positive previews, I think it’s shaping up to be better than all of those games (in bold).

I know that people would probably be looking to next gen, so it’s very difficult to predict, but don’t count out the people who want a next gen type title, but can’t afford the console…

#37 10 months ago
  38. DrDamn

Initially I’d go 2m on PC, 1.5m on X1 and 3-5m on 360 (dependent on port quality). At point of release there will only be around 3-4m X1′s on the market. It’ll be a title many will pick up with an X1 as the year progresses though – so an eventual figure of 3m+ is entirely feasible.

#38 10 months ago
  39. DSB

@39 I’m weary of those numbers though. vgchartz is inaccurate as all hell, and I always make the distinction between tail and majority sales.

Tail is usually worth somewhat less with promotions and all.

So at least the number I’m looking at is Halo 3 moving 5 million in the first month. That’s 100% confirmed, and while I’m sure it had a considerable tail, I think you can also count on a lot of those sales being discounted, and coming over a pretty long period.

And I really don’t think vgchartz has their data straight.

In January 2008 Microsoft reported 8 million sold.

@40 But there will be so many fewer games to really compete with. I think people are gonna hoard exclusives.

I’d definitely put the X1 sales above the PC. Keep in mind it’s on Origin, so the audience won’t be as big as Steam, and the client is still pretty damn bad, as I’ve recently discovered.

#39 10 months ago
  40. G1GAHURTZ

It’ll be a title many will pick up with an X1 as the year progresses though

You’ve just reminded me of the days of playing CoD4, when it was full of noobs, who’d never played a CoD game before!

Now almost everyone you play has 10th prestiged in about the last 3 or 4 CoD releases…

#40 10 months ago
  41. DrDamn

@DSB
    It’s still not going to sell through to more than 50% of the install base. Purely on people’s preferences. Lots of people simply don’t like online shooters, and more won’t see past CoD/BF.

Good point on the PC version and Origin, but I think the market is there for a new big shooter on the PC.

#41 10 months ago
  42. DSB

@43 That’s fair, but I would actually bet on it selling to those 50%. That’s why I put it at 2 mil, I just went with half of the expected Xbone owners.

*edit*

Xbowners. Huhuh. Come at me bros.

#42 10 months ago
  43. G1GAHURTZ

I’m saying 3m on X1 before Titanfall 2.

If they release that in 2016, then you could well be looking at 10-15m X1s in homes by that time, which would make my estimate pretty conservative.

#43 10 months ago
  44. ysleiro

@Legendaryboss That “I don’t believe…” statement you keep making is pure denial. The creator of the game is saying the first title is saying the game is console exclusive to Xbox.

#44 10 months ago
  45. Legendaryboss

Your point being? There is no reason why i should believe PR speak on the same subject thats been contradicted in the past. Mass Effect 1+2? GTA IV DLCs? Bioshock? DOA? Ninja Gaiden?

He said the same thing before and my stance remains the same on third party exclusives.

#45 10 months ago
  46. DSB

@45 Yeah, that’s a safe bet. It could well double, that wouldn’t surprise me. With a new console, all bets are off.

Who knows, maybe the cloud will fail in a spectacular Simcity 5 like fashion and slash the forecast. Although for Titanfall that’s much less likely since they’re only using the cloud to host, as I understand it. Giving Microsoft their pound of flesh.

#46 10 months ago
  47. ysleiro

@Legendaryboss Ahh I see what you are saying. I thought you said they were lying.

I guess you could consider all those scenarios in which games finally make it on to a console after it was exclusive to another.

This case is a bit different though. Remember Titanfall is a multiplayer game only. I’m not sure the experience will be the same if the first game is released on PS4 YEARS later.

#47 10 months ago
  48. Dragon

@Ghz,
    Dont you think Titanfall on X1 will be hampered like BF4 is?
    While online experience matters, early 3rd party games probably aren’t hitting the home run on X1.

#48 10 months ago
  49. Playmaker

IMO this is huge news. I have a handful of friends who were on the fence bt Sony or msft. I have preordered a XB1 I’ll admit that and they still hadn’t decided. Of course now they’re talking about getting XB1 just bc of this game. I think this is a similar case for a lot of undecided buyers who missed out on preorders. Now just announce a beta for 11/22!!!

#49 10 months ago
  50. bradk825

A lot of people felt certain it was only a timed-exclusive but I always wondered, because I never saw the words “timed exclusive” used by MS, Respawn or EA.

#50 10 months ago
  51. VibraniumSpork

@51 Absolutely. In my case, I was always down for the PS4 at launch but was on the fence as to whether I’d buy an XB1 next year – that decision (at the minute anyway) was largely down to whether or not I could get Titanfall on PS4 later down the line. Now I feel almost certain that I’ve gotta have one ^_^

#51 10 months ago
  52. G1GAHURTZ

@Dragon:

I think Titanfall and BF4 are different games.

Different devs are capable of different things. Not every PS3 game looks like Uncharted 3.

#52 10 months ago
  53. Dragon

@Ghz,
    Still, rumors are worrying aren’t they? They were right about BF4. I dont think next-gen deserves a 720p Titanfall according to rumors.

#53 10 months ago
  54. G1GAHURTZ

I’m not worried.

BF4 looks fine compared to the PS4 version… Arguably, the SP looks ever so slightly better, going by the IGN vids.

None of the Titanfall previews have complained about the visuals so far, either.

#54 10 months ago
  55. pcbros

I can’t really tell a difference between the PS4/XB1 versions of BF4. Either way, Titanfall looks to be the next big multiplayer game and should be a lot of fun.

Hopefully my upcoming gaming PC will handle it, if not, I will have to consider a XB1.

#55 10 months ago
  56. bradk825

@56 You are correct. I was playing BF4 last night. Single player graphics are quite noticably better than multiplayer.

#56 10 months ago
  57. bennyx

EA has missed a trick here,they could possibly sell more and make more money than Microsoft gave to them, if they made the game multiformat.EA will be well gutted if the game doesn’t sell that well.if they would maximised their profits for this game then we could all benefit from it (as in getting better games) and Respawn could make more games hopefully AAA titles that are original and a joy to play.
    The Xboxone version looks good at 720p and running smooth-ish but not sure how well it will be for the 360,hopefully it will be ok.

#57 10 months ago