Free-to-play Command & Conquer canceled

Tuesday, 29th October 2013 18:26 GMT By Phil Owen

Victory Games’ in-production campaign-free Command & Conquer title has been canceled, they’ve announced in a blog post. Polygon is reporting additionally that the entire development team has been laid off.

This tweet from game’s marketing manager confirms the studio’s closure.

The blog reads: “Your feedback from the alpha trial is clear: We are not making the game you want to play. That is why, after much difficult deliberation, we have decided to cease production of this version of the game.”

It goes on to say that they will attempt to figure out how to use what they’ve built on some other Command & Conquer thing, and that anybody who spent cash in the close alpha will get refunds.

Wow, though.

1. Talkar

Wow, didn’t see that coming. Atleast i got to play it whille it was in closed testing.
    Have to say, the gameplay was very good.
    But the fact that you could buy upgrades that would enhance your army was just plain wrong in my book.

#1 11 months ago
  2. Erthazus

LOL. Too fast.

#2 11 months ago
  3. Yoshi

I hope they make a true sequel to General now.

#3 11 months ago
  4. SplatteredHouse

@3 They already announced a Generals 2, didn’t they? But, it’s gone dark for a long time. Also: Someone actually reacted in kind, to tester feedback! I don’t know. This always struck me as some Twilight Zone-level of C&C that I wanted little to do with.

Suggestion for new project: TIBERIUM. Finish and release it. :)

#4 11 months ago
  5. Max Payne

@4 Generals 2 was renamed to Command and Conquer.

#5 11 months ago
  6. wrklnt

maybe now they can get a team with actual rts experience on it and make it not free to play

#6 11 months ago
  7. wicktus

OOOH I was afraid of that.

But In my opinion they spent too much money on it, it’s an AAA game so I think they’re going to change the financial system, F2P is NOT for RTS like CnC.

Just imagine Starcraft 2 free2play, it’s absurd…

#7 11 months ago
  8. Sanwiches

You are saying the team has been laid off, but the last paragraph of the announcement hints otherwise:

“We believe that Command & Conquer is a powerful franchise with huge potential and a great history, and we are determined to get the best game made as soon as possible. To that end, we have already begun looking at a number of alternatives to get the game back on track. We look forward to sharing more news about the franchise as it develops. Thank you again for your participation and support.”

————————–
    EDIT: certainly, all the devs with experience with the current engine will stay under another studio name. Maybe the game director will lose his job, but that’s pretty much it. IMO.

#8 11 months ago
  9. YoungZer0

They should let the Starhawk developer make Tiberium.

#9 11 months ago
  10. Sherif Saed

Fuckin hell, all those years of beta and alpha and I had this feeling that’ll all be in vain :(

#10 11 months ago
  11. Dinasis

“We are not making the game you want to play.”

Seems to me this was the more prevalent fan response from the beginning. A multiplayer-focused Generals game with a months-long wait for campaign missions or content from the other C&C universes was never the sort of C&C I personally wanted to play.

#11 11 months ago
  12. karma

I hope more f2p games get canned. I’ll personally not miss a single one of them.

I feel for the devs that lost their jobs though. Hopefully they can all find more creative and fulfilling game development work someplace else.

#12 11 months ago