Nvidia to drop prices of high-end graphics cards, include free games

Monday, 28th October 2013 15:19 GMT By Sherif Saed

A price drop is imminent for the high-end segment of Nividia’s 700 series to combat AMD’s latest addition to the market, the R9 290x and R9 290 graphics cards. Nvidia is also adding free games and significant discount coupons for Shield to sweeten the deal.

Nvidia is cutting prices of their 770 series graphics cards, namely the GTX 780 and GTX 770. The GTX 780 will retail for $550, a price drop of $100. The GTX 770 will retail for $350, which is a price drop of $50.

Videocardz reports the price cuts have not yet been reflected on the store-fronts of e-tailers in the United States, though several Eropean and UK ones have already dropped their prices.

Consumers who buy the GTX 780 will receive a game bundle that contains Assassins Creed IV: Black Flag, SplinterCell: BlackList, Batman: Arkham Origins and a $100 discount coupon for Nvidia Shield. While those who get the GTX 770 will get Assassins Creed IV: Black Flag, SplinterCell: BlackList and a $50 discount coupon for Nvidia Shield.

Nvidia adds that the free games and Shield discounts are valid for purchases made between October 28 and November 26.

This follows AMD’s last week’s release of the R9 290x and this week’s release of the R9 290, both competing with Nvidia’s 700 series.

Are you upgrading before Christmas? Let us know below.

1. Mineral4r7s

Oh awesome news. Thank god I waited. Yesterday I was so close from pressing the buy now button. :D

#1 11 months ago
  2. DSB

That’s okay. I’m okay with that. I just bought mine a couple of months too early is all.

#2 11 months ago
  3. OwnedWhenStoned

@2 Yes. I bought my GTX 770 10 days ago.

#3 11 months ago
  4. DSB

@3 I don’t want to be Mister Pissypants or anything, but shouldn’t they be rewarding early adopters instead of being all like “Oh hey, it’s okay that you’re late, have a 50 dollar discount and a free game”.

Okay, I guess that’s pretty much going full Pissypants, but would it really hurt their bottomline to show a bit of appreciation there?

I was kinda expecting a code in my box when I bought it. But at that point they were still promoting the 6-series cards, which was really too odd for me to even consider.

#4 11 months ago
  5. sebastien rivas

Finally something becoming a bit more reasonable out of Nvidia.

@4 No one forced early 7 series adopters to throw their wallets at Nvidia. On top of it early adopters had the joy to say look at me I am beautiful with my 7 series and you are not, haha (I point the finger at you).
    I understand your point well or perhaps too well if you are an early 7 series adopters and probable resentment to see 7 series price drop. Although for people like me who can afford it but still thought of price versus hardware in balance and judgement just considered the fact of price drop in no record time and also that the price at launch was just pure insanity. Even 550 is still high for what it is but unfortunately there is no real competition, even if Amd comes and match with a new GPU it is already too late as nvidia picked up most if not all the 7 series equivalent market shares.

#5 11 months ago
  6. DSB

@5 Yes indeed, and my argument wasn’t that we were in any way forced, or that we have any right to regret our purchase based on Nvidias marketing strategy.

I’m just saying that Nvidia might look better in rewarding the guys that are there early, rather than the guys who come in later.

In a purely cynical sense you might expect that the worst of the hardware geeks out there will get their cards early, and so you have that sale locked down on day one, whereas you might get more of the “maybe-fish” by offering incentives down the line.

Cynicism can be profitable, but it still doesn’t look good.

#6 11 months ago
  7. Erthazus

When you buy your videocard earlier you get the power.

Nvidia reduced cost to videocards because AMD’s latest R9 cards probably for the first time released some serious competition where 50% of the stuff has most power then in 700 series.

+ Nvidia is preparing for a nuclear launch next year with introduction for the Maxwell architecture that people were being waiting for.

#7 11 months ago
  8. pcbros

@7 – I might sound ignorant here, but what’s so special about the GTX800 (Maxwell) series?

Are we talking Titan v2.0 with a $1k price tag?

#8 11 months ago
  9. Erthazus

^
    Generation of videocards.

Current gen of videocards is Kepler (600 series and 700 series of GeForce):

Maxwell will have a lot of features. It’s main feature will be that videocards will have it’s own ARM CPU so next gen videocards will be more independent from main CPU which is good for physics/PhysX and other gaming stuff.

#9 11 months ago
  10. OwnedWhenStoned

@4 To be fair, there was a code for three Splinter Cell games in there (I think it’s a Zotac deal)

#10 11 months ago
  11. KineticCalvaria

@9, so Erth as our resident hardware enthusiast would you recommend I wait till next year to upgrade from my 660ti?

#11 11 months ago
  12. pcbros

#11 – I would wait. The GTX660ti is a very capable card and I don’t think it’s worth upgrading right now. But it all depends on what you want to play and if you need ultra settings.

Btw, how what specs are you running and how is it performing? I was considering a GTX660/760 to tie me over for a couple of years atleast.

I’m upgrading from a 9600GT! So anything is welcomed :)

#12 11 months ago
  13. DSB

@10 Well, screw Zotac. I got an ASUS :P

#13 11 months ago
  14. KineticCalvaria

@12, I’m using i5 3570k OC’d at 4.4ghz, 8gb RAM and GTX 660 ti, runs pretty much everything on at least high and some games on ultra at 60 fps so far, I usually lower a few unimportant settings to maintain 60 fps in games like Crysis 3, BF3 etc (Whoever says 60 fps doesn’t make a difference clearly hasn’t experienced it).

Overall it runs very well and I’m sure you’d be more than happy with it, certainly a step above current-gen graphics and most likely next-gen for a while, I’m thinking more of future proofing but for now it’s doing well enough for me.

#14 11 months ago
  15. Erthazus

@11, Why you should upgrade it at all? You are not satisfied with the performance?

If you are satisfied with it, stick with it. If you are looking for the Future proof then look forward for 800 series of Maxwell juice.

If you are looking for my perspective. I have 580 GTX and I’m going to buy 880 GTX just to prepare for the highest resolution/fps/grf. settings to play Witcher 3.

I’m Witcher 3 fanboy… Or CD Projekt Red fanboy… So there you have it.

#15 11 months ago
  16. pcbros

@14 – Are you getting 60fps on BF3 on high or ultra? Also, what resolution are you gaming on? You have a nice best bang for your buck setup going.

You have pretty much the rig I was considering building. I was going to go with a AMD FX-6300, 8GB RAM and GTX660/760.

I’ve been gaming on my PS3/XB360 and I neglected my PC. But now I’ve been gaming purely on it. Time for an upgrade!

#16 11 months ago
  17. KineticCalvaria

@16, BF3 on Ultra at 1080p/60fps, although I have a couple of settings (AA + AF I think, on a slightly lower setting).

But that’s because I like to maintain my 60 fps, if a few fps dips don’t bother you then it’s fine maxed out.

@15, I see, yeah I may wait to see what Maxwell brings then, as long as BF4 continues to run well (it ran well in the beta despite the beta issues) I’ll be a happy gamer this year.

#17 11 months ago
  18. pcbros

@17 – With that kind of performance, no need to upgrade.

#18 11 months ago
  19. Marvin the Paranoid Android

@9 I wonder what can be done with the ARM CPU, I think it’s interesting.

However, if you’re expecting a huge performance boost from Maxwell, you’re going to be disappointed. The image you’ve posted shows that the increase in performance per watt when going from Kepler to Maxwell is lower than going from Fermi to Kepler, or from Tesla to Fermi.

A few years ago, the same roadmap looked like this: http://justhardwarenews.files.wordpress.com/2012/12/nvidia-roadmap.jpg
    As you can see they lowered their expectations.

Also, according to VideoCardz.com: http://videocardz.com/45417/why-maxwell-will-probably-launch-on-28nm-process
    1. Mawxell is going to launch using 28nm. 20nm won’t be released before the 2nd half of 2014.
    2. “According to VC sources, Maxwell will not be as drastic a jump as Tesla to Fermi was, or as Fermi to Kepler was.”

EDIT: forget what I said about the roadmap. I noticed the one you’ve posted uses a logarithmic scale, so the image I’ve posted basically shows the same thing (on a linear scale).

#19 11 months ago
  20. pcbros

I’m thinking a GTX760 will be the sweet spot right now for a new build. $250 w/ two free games.

#20 11 months ago
  21. DSB

@20 A 250 pricepoint is yummy, but when I was doing the math for my latest upgrade, the 770 came out ahead.

… But you could get the same performance cheaper by going for a 680 with loads more RAM, although the savings weren’t that great, so I just grabbed the 770.

I guess it depends on how much you want to spend, as with all other things.

#21 11 months ago
  22. pcbros

@21 – A GTX770 is $350 with three free games. You think the price difference is worth it?

#22 11 months ago
  23. DSB

@22 That’s what I got from the tests I read.

Personally I’d rather spend a lot now and wait longer until I have to do it again. Titan Junior was just too expensive for me.

I didn’t get no free game though, and it was more like 380 bucks when I got it. Screw you Nvidia.

#23 11 months ago
  24. DLAROC

I bought the GTX 780 about three months ago for 650 and don’t regret it at all. It’s a beast. Getting another one around Christmas.

#24 11 months ago