Mojang will consider free-to-play for Scrolls if player numbers don’t grow

Monday, 21st October 2013 12:43 GMT By Dave Owen

Mojang’s collectible card game Scrolls could end up going to free-to-play if sales don’t pick up soon. The game has been in paid beta since June, where it quickly racked up 100,000 sales. However since July it has only managed 10,000 sales, with around three or four thousand players a day.

In an interview with it24.se Mojang co-founder Jakob Porser said “We do not close [the door] for making Scrolls a free game in the future if that’s what is needed to attract more players. That is how most other collectible card games work today, it may have already become such a standard that it’s hard for us to break.”

“That Scrolls would sell a lot less than Minecraft has always been obvious,” Porser said. “You can’t ever compare them. I am happy with the amount of gamers we have right now.”

Headlines are currently being stolen by Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft, which will utilise a free-to-play model when it launches. Mojang is currently working to improve Scrolls’ single player mode and on a version for mobile devices.

How would you feel about Scrolls going F2P.

Thanks, GI.biz.

1. Patrick Garratt

I honestly didn’t even know you could buy it.

#1 9 months ago
  2. FabioPal

Just because he’s been lucky once doesn’t mean he’ll be forever.

I keep on thinking as Mojang as one of the most over-rated studios around.

#2 9 months ago
  3. TheBlackHole

He’s a one hit wonder, and that hit wasn’t even unique. It was the right product at the right time, but it was based on an existing product that already had the same core gameplay.

I’m not surprised he’s struggling.

#3 9 months ago
  4. Cobra951

@3: Struggling? May the good lord make me struggle as much as Mojang.

It’s no surprise to me that a card-collecting game is not sweeping the gaming crowd off their feet. Minecraft was unique (despite some jaded, axe-grinding commentary) to most of us, and an absolute eye opener–a true paradigm shift. I highly recommend watching “The Story of Mojang” to get a good look into the impact of that one game. Notch knows that kind of lightning is very unlikely to strike again. He doesn’t care. He doesn’t have to. He prefers making smaller, niche games, and he can afford to do so.

#4 9 months ago
  5. orren

So basically, they announced to the crowd, “if you don’t buy it now, youll get it for free later”. Way to motivate potential buyers to spend their money ><

#5 9 months ago
  6. TheBlackHole

@4 Easy tiger. I meant struggle to create a second experience that works well, not struggle financially.

He’s already canned one project (0x10c) because of ‘writer’s block’, and his only other effort is an ‘okay’ collectible card game with uninspiring artwork and clunky mechanics. And don’t underestimate the popularity of colletable card games – Take at look on mobile. Plenty have made more money than Scrolls.

Minecraft was a phenomenon, no doubt, but that doesn’t make it a unique game or a unique idea. He’s already admitted that the game takes a lot from infinimier, among others. He refined an already existing idea, which is fine, but it means he’s not necessarily the creative force that game’s success would have people think.

#6 9 months ago
  7. RefuseBunny

Scrolls is competing in what is becoming a very competitive market.

I’ve never loved Magic The Gathering as a game and I think I prefer the look of Hearthstone to the look of Scrolls.

Hearthstone looks very accessible and easy to learn which is good for both experienced CCG fans and people who might be new to the genre.
    From what I’ve seen of Scrolls it looks like it’s quite hardcore and difficult to get into which isn’t great for me.

Hearthstone made me think “I’d like to play that” whereas Scrolls made me think “I’m not that into this kind of game”.
    People may not agree but it’s simply my opinion and reaction to what I’ve seen.

#7 9 months ago