Xbox One friends list gets video tutorial, watch it here

Monday, 14th October 2013 14:10 GMT By Dave Cook

Xbox One’s friends list app has been shown in action in a new video posted by Microsoft. It shows how players can watch what their friends are up to in real-time.

Profiles viewed in the friends list app will reveal your uploaded videos, follows, achievements, rep and more. You can also tag friends as favourites for quick access later. You can also follow people without becoming their friend. Users can tweak their settings to ensure that followers can’t just follow them at random. It’s up to you if you want to block this feature.

You can have up to 1,000 friends on your list on Xbox One, and you can see their Xbox One and Xbox 360 activity at a glance.

There are also two types of achievements on Xbox One. Larry ‘Major Nelson’ Hyrb wrote on his blog today, “There are now two types of Achievements: achievements and time-based challenges. The former is similar to the achievements you earn on Xbox 360. Challenges on the other hand are only available for a certain period of time. What you accomplish during that timeframe will count towards unlocking the challenge.

“As a nod to our stellar community, many challenges require a community to work together towards a common goal. Imagine, for example, a game releases a weekend objective that requires players to cumulatively secure an objective “X” number of times in a three day period. And every person who participates and helps build towards the challenge’s goals unlocks that Achievement and earns its reward.”

What do you think of the above?

Xbox One launches in several territories November 22.

1. antraxsuicide

I really like the challenge idea. It’s a great way to build community, and reward people for things the developers might not have thought of (like using a Gravity Hammer to knock back a rocket.)

#1 11 months ago
  2. G1GAHURTZ

Looks slick!

#2 11 months ago
  3. mark_t50

Looks a lot like twitter which I guess was the intention. Looks cool though. I may have my issues with MS and the XboxOne, but this looked good.

Would love to start seeing both Sony and MS release more of these OS feature tutorials. Maybe it’s my geeky side but I’m looking forward to the OS’s on these things nearly as much as the games.

#3 11 months ago
  4. Major Mayhem 70

I didn’t look at the video cause I want everything to feel new and fresh once I hook everything up.

#4 11 months ago
  5. Hcw87

This is why i’m going with XB1 for multiplats (unless there’s a MAJOR difference in graphics/performance compared to PS4).

Achievements are simply that much better than Trophies, especially next gen with these challenges. Achievement rewards also sounds nice.

#5 11 months ago
  6. Ireland Michael

Everything looks so needlessly large and barren.

#6 11 months ago
  7. PhilipColeman

#7 11 months ago
  8. Moonwalker1982

‘Started playing GTA V.’

Hold on……

#8 11 months ago
  9. Ireland Michael

@8 Don’t read into it too much. You can see 360 activity on your friends list on the X1.

#9 11 months ago
  10. UuBuU

Horrid UI that’s miraculously worse than Live on the 360 ~ and they still havent gotten rid of those disgusting avatars. Everything about this screams mediocrity ~ and the fact that you cant even pick the username you want {even if you make a day one purchase} because they’re all being carried over from the 360 is just the icing on the cake. It doesn’t even feel like a new console.

#10 11 months ago
  11. DrDamn

I’d like to be able to section off friends into groups – why has no one thought of adding that?

Challenges sound interesting – certainly if the rewards are nice.

#11 11 months ago
  12. Bloobat

To be honest, and I know i’ll get hate for this, but I wish achievements and trophies had never been invented, I find it sad that people specifically hunt achievements to try and ‘beat’ their friends. I mean come on they are virtual and mean literally nothing and what’s more sad it that people play games specifically to get them. You should be playing the game for FUN not to gain some worthless virtual ‘rewards’ so you can willy wave how great you are.

#12 11 months ago
  13. Panthro

@10 I saw an option to ‘set gamertag’ on the profile screen, is that what you mean?

#13 11 months ago
  14. G1GAHURTZ

@12:

Believe it or not, some people actually find competing against each other ‘fun’.

Is that a strange concept for you?

Some people might even go as far to say that it’s actually part of human nature.

You know… Given the amount of competition that there is just about everywhere, in just about every facet of human life.

#14 11 months ago
  15. Lv01

@6 i agree. whole screens dedicated to a single item, and so much dead space around…
    i was expecting more, really.
    and too much was ‘hidden’ to the left or the right, which wasnt visible from the initial main screen.

felt empty.

#15 11 months ago
  16. DrDamn

Doesn’t all that apply to high-score lists? Been around much longer.

Achievements/Trophies are significantly harmless and great for those who enjoy them. The only issue I see is poorly designed online achievements which disrupt how people play the game.

#16 11 months ago
  17. Panthro

@12 They are still optional though, you don’t have to play to get achievements… If it spurs people on to play more games then let them do it ;) You have fun with your games and they can compete and get there insane amount of street cred from getting 1000 G’s because everyone knows, once you get the gamerscore; the bitches come runnin’

#17 11 months ago
  18. Arcnail

@12 ya I couldn’t care for achievements, never have… so if they are there and some people use them.. good for them.

Either way.. UI looks ‘ok’

I like the followers idea.

#18 11 months ago
  19. thesnowman

Looks good, some nice features that I initially didnt think I would use, but I just might.

As for Achievements I personally quite like them, but I dont really go hunting for them. I might have a quick look to see if there are any that I quite like, but for the most part I just play the game and get a wee smile when I get one.

#19 11 months ago
  20. Erthazus

Oh lol. Horrible Windows 8 UI.

#20 11 months ago
  21. Eregol

I’d prefer it if my friends list was cultivated as ‘followers’ alba Twitter.
    Shame the XB1 friend UI looks blocky and dull, and the PS4 version won’t be like it at all.

#21 11 months ago
  22. derpachu

@12 totally wrong. It allows players to explore and keep playing the game. I for one love it.

Example fable 3. I love exploring Albion for silver key & gold keys. Trophies and achievements aren’t even bad.

#22 11 months ago