Amazon UK turns 15 today, posts top ten best-selling games since launch

Monday, 14th October 2013 12:05 GMT By Dave Cook

Amazon UK has turned 15 today and to celebrate, the online retailer has listed its ten best-selling multi-format games since launch.

In a press release sent to VG247 this morning, the UK store confirmed its best-selling games as:

1. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
  2. Call of Duty: Black Ops
  3. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
  4. Grand Theft Auto 5
  5. Call of Duty: Black Ops II
  6. FIFA 10
  7. FIFA 13
  8. FIFA 12
  9. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  10. Zumba Fitness

In a statement, Amazon UK’s video games & software category leader Ketu Patel said of the list, “Call of Duty, Grand Theft Auto and FIFA are three of the largest entertainment franchises in the world, so it’s no surprise to see them dominating the top ten best-selling games chart. The success of Skyrim suggests that there is a real appetite for epic fantasy games, whilst Zumba Fitness’s appearance in tenth place shows just how big Nintendo Wii’s fanbase is in the UK.”

Did you buy any of these from Amazon? Do yous till rate the store? Let us know below.

1. KineticCalvaria

I’m ashamed of that list… 4 CoD’s, 3 FIFA’s and Zumba? Oh god lol, sounds about right though.

#1 10 months ago
  2. Dave Cook

We can’t all have the same taste. It’s why Michael Bay keeps on getting to make movies ;)

#2 10 months ago
  3. ps4fanboy

@1 dont be because there wasnt mich you could have done

#3 10 months ago
  4. KineticCalvaria

I understand that, but it’s just a shame that people essentially pay £40 for the same game every year… in all honesty I’m surprised it wasn’t all CoD, AC and FIFA.

Not moaning, just baffles me… I grew wise to the rip off of annualised games long ago.

@3, thank you for your comforting words in this difficult time.

#4 10 months ago
  5. Panthro

Maybe bringing indies to the next gen consoles will change that, probably not though.

#5 10 months ago
  6. Dave Cook

@4 I still don’t get it though. They’re buying it so they must enjoy them. Can we not just let them do what they enjoy? If they don’t want to seek out new games then yeah that’s a shame, but we can’t force those people at the same time.

Just a few thoughts :)

#6 10 months ago
  7. KineticCalvaria

@6, certainly it’s up to them, I’m only pointing out that it’s disappointing to think that some peoples gaming experiences are limited to this rubbish and I do indeed know some people who only really play FIFA or CoD… :).

My opinion. :P

#7 10 months ago
  8. Dave Cook

@6 I guess these are folk who are ‘casual’ in that they don’t spent a lot of time on games, so that what little time they do spend on them is used with what they already know.

I’d never become that way certainly, but It’s understandable.

I was just curious btw, as it’s something I’ve seen a lot of people say :)

Cheers.

#8 10 months ago
  9. Mr Tom

Hey, if people want to spend their money on the games they like who are we to tell them they’re wrong?

I don’t like CoD all that much, my friends love it and buy it each year along with whatever their season pass thing is called. Fair play to them, they have their fun and get their money’s worth. There’s not a damned thing wrong with that.

#9 10 months ago
  10. KineticCalvaria

@9, never said there was did I :). I said it was a shame, didn’t say it was wrong.

#10 10 months ago
  11. Dave Cook

@9 Well said. I love CoD as well. Absolutely no problem with people who tell me they hate it. Opinions are allowed, but it’s when they start telling me I’m an idiot for playing it that I get annoyed.

Moaning about people playing what they like is both foolish and unfair imo.

#11 10 months ago
  12. Dave Cook

@10 I don’t think he was aiming that at you bud. He was just speaking in general :)

#12 10 months ago
  13. Badger

I agree with Kinetic in that it is a bit of a shame that these are the games that are most widely known and purchased. This medium has a tonne more to offer to people if they wished to find it, but people that look at gaming and see these games selling well will assume that it is all about the blood, gore, violence and, to a lesser extent, sports.

It would have been nice to see some breakthrough hits getting on there and maybe force people to realise it isn’t all about the Call of Duty-esque games. I’ve got to question whether people buy them because they enjoy it, or if it’s because people buy them. Any gamer wanting a decent multiplayer FPS with busy servers is going to know that Call of Duty will provide it. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve bought and played many Call of Duty’s before now and have enjoyed them, but there are many different experiences to enjoy other than just that.

On a different note though, it’s quite good to see that the oldest games on that list are from 2009, meaning that newer games are clearly selling more copies than the big games of ten years ago.

#13 10 months ago
  14. G1GAHURTZ

CALL OF DUTY, BABY, YEAH!!!

Eat it, haters!

*raspberries for the haters*

#14 10 months ago
  15. Dave Cook

@13 “This medium has a tonne more to offer to people if they wished to find it”

Agreed, but they don’t want to find it. We can’t force them.

(I’m not saying that’s what you’re saying by the way :) )

I just don’t see why we can’t just let people play what they want and move on.

#15 10 months ago
  16. Dave Cook

@14 *Catches them all in his mouth*

#16 10 months ago
  17. reask

I find the cods a handy pick up for a few online games.
    Same with bf I suppose.
    Easy to pick up but fairly competitive.

#17 10 months ago
  18. karma

#2 Dave Cook: “Why ashamed though? It’s what the people seem to want. Not having a go, just curious as to why folk seem unhappy with the playing habits of others.”

I’m sure you already know this Dave, but sales dictate what the future holds. And if you dont like yearly iterations, then there is much less game diversity to choose from for everyone.

Now with F2P, mobile and other alternative ways to market games, it seems more publishers and devs are steering away from the types of games I enjoy playing.

We are told that gaming becoming more mainstream is beneficial to the industry, and while that may be true if your in it to make money, I’m not entirely sure that line of thinking is inclusive and beneficial for the traditional gamer. :P

#18 10 months ago
  19. Joe Musashi

For all those gamers that, for years, wanted their hobby to be accepted by the mainstream: be careful what you wish for. :)

All that talk of violence encouraged by videogames. Clearly Amazon’s #10 is to blame.

JM

#19 10 months ago
  20. bradk825

COD is a staple for my friends and I as far as multiplayer gaming, but it’s certainly not all we play. Games with great storytelling are my favourite when no one is online, and we tend to buy a copy of those and pass them around. When it comes to exciting multiplayer gaming I have found few to compare to COD in my own opinion.

#20 10 months ago
  21. G1GAHURTZ

@18:

“I’d say i’m more agitated by the diminishing choice on offer rather than the fact they like those games at all.”

Sorry, but I completely disagree.

What with all of the new technologies (Kinect/Wii U pad/PS3 wand thingy/etc), the wide variety of exclusives, the large choice of new IPs, the ever growing amount of indie games, etc, etc, etc, I don’t think that there’s ever been as much choice in gaming as there is now.

It’s just that the popular stuff gets more exposure, and sells more.

I’m sure that there are many, many, many people on this website alone, who don’t play CoD/FIFA, but own a whole load of new IPs and ‘original’ games that they simply don’t have time to play.

There’s no need to be all doom and gloom, just because other people are buying and playing something else.

#21 10 months ago
  22. Ireland Michael

@2 While I completely agree that people are free to enjoy whatever they want, it does make me a little sad to see creativity not being given the success it deserves. It’s an incredible… dull list, for lack of a better word.

#22 10 months ago
  23. G1GAHURTZ

^ If it doesn’t get it, maybe it doesn’t deserve it… No?

#23 10 months ago
  24. DSB

MW2 was fucking epic. I still haven’t spent that long on a multiplayer shooter since the original Counter-Strike. I thought for sure it had been outdone by BLOPS II and MW3 though.

@20 Yup, purdy much that.

#24 10 months ago
  25. bradk825

Some have gripes based on preference, but some poeple to have a mentality that anything popular must therefor be awful.

Dean Koontz is called a shitty author, they say Spielberg makes terrible movies, Starbucks coffee tastes like tar, the list goes on, because they feel like ranting against something that a lot of people like makes them special for liking something else.

#25 10 months ago
  26. Ireland Michael

@23 No.

There are countless high quality games that deserve more success than they earned. Much like many great musicians often lose out to bad, soulless pop music with a marketing budget, so too do many great games lose out to better promoted titles.

Not saying the games on this list don’t deserve success, it would just be nice to see more diversity.

I’ll admit I’m surprised to see Skyrim on there. I know the franchise is fairly big, but I didn’t realise it was that big.

#26 10 months ago
  27. Hcw87

CoD is popular for all the wrong reasons.

Auto aim, guns with little to no recoil, a spawn system that makes it far too easy to shoot people in the back/get shot in the back/end up in the other teams spawn, Kill Streaks which is the worst invention in gaming history, all the focus on KDR, lazy map designs etc etc.

And a skill roof so low even a 14 year old is on the same skill level as a 3 year old veteran.

People have all the right reasons in the world to hate this franchise, especially how it’s influencing other games (Battlefield is trying to bring in the CoD crowd with Deathmatches/smaller maps etc).

I hope Titanfall ends up being so popular so this franchise dies a horrible slow death.

#27 10 months ago
  28. Panthro

I just wished more developers would consider a good single player experience, I guess those types of games have to be lower in price since a lot of people these days only class games which have multi-player worth £40

Which makes a lot of developers wary and sometimes forces them to tack on multi-player, which can take resources and time away from further crafting a better single player …

#28 10 months ago
  29. Panthro

I agree, I have a few friends that go on like that and it drives me insane, they act like such pricks sometimes… they say the most negative things about games/ movies they haven’t even seen or played just based on whether there is a lot of hype.

Had a few friends who began liking breaking bad but then once it began to roll with popularity they said it was ‘shit’ and ‘turning to mainstream’ they can go fuck themselves.

Titanfall looks awesome… That is all I have to say.

#29 10 months ago
  30. MadFlavour

That list is roughly what I expected (apart from Zumba), but I was still disappointed by the banality of it.

#30 10 months ago