Xbox One may get keyboard and mouse support in its post release future

Tuesday, 8th October 2013 21:57 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Xbox One may get keyboard and mouse support post release, according to Microsoft’s director of Xbox Live programming Larry “Major Nelson” Hryb.

Speaking in an interview with Newegg, Major Nelson said Microsoft will assist developers with said support if that is what they wish.

“We’ll certainly have this great SDK for developers to do what they like,” he said. “If that’s something they’re interested in doing, we’ll certainly help them do that. Certainly it’s possible, but we don’t have anything to announce at this time.”

Still, even if support for the peripherals is added, it may not be ‘ideal’.

“We kind of have this concept of when you’re playing a PC game you’re leaning forward,” Hryb said. “With an Xbox game, sometimes you lean back. You’re just kinda having fun. And I don’t want to incite the religious debate that will ensue, because I’m very aware. We want to provide a gaming experience that people enjoy, certainly with Windows–that’s our other large gaming platform at Microsoft.

“So there’s something there, but right now we’re really focused on really the console space.”

Xbox One launches in North America and Europe and other territories on November 22.

Via VideoGamer.

1. Hcw87

For RTS games bring it on, but keep this crap away from my FPS games (i’ll play PC if i want to use a m+kb anyway).

#1 10 months ago
  2. undermyrules

So PC gamers are with Microsoft from now sry Sony….

#2 10 months ago
  3. Hybridpsycho

@2 Why? That doesn’t make any sense at all, just because they’re MAYBE adding native support for m+kb.

You’ve been able to use m+kb for the PS3 and 360 for ages (with third party items), yet PC gamers haven’t prefered either one.

#3 10 months ago
  4. Xbone

Good idea for RTS games (are there any?)
    But mixing m+k gamers with gamepad controller gamers are a nono. Its like cheating.

#4 10 months ago
  5. undermyrules

@3….hmmmmm 1 from 5000 games have m+kb support…yeah thats a lot

#5 10 months ago
  6. FuntimeBen

Adding M+K support to a console is a tricky thing as it gives players a big advantage in FPS. Personally this means noting to me, if I want M+K I’ll play my PC, I’ll stick with a controller for my consoles.

#6 10 months ago
  7. undermyrules

@6 FPS on consoles playing with a controler its retarded for PC gamers…brigning kb/m support to every game exept multiplayer segment(which is logical because controler players will be raped by kb/m players)

#7 10 months ago
  8. runbmp

So now Steam OS might be a threat you start giving keyboard and mouse options to the developers and users.

Close eco system ftw…

#8 10 months ago
  9. ChunkyLover112

^ cute. As if steam could ever become a thread to MS. Why on earth would someone play anything else but the next Xbox when it comes out?

#9 10 months ago
  10. Panthro

Some of these responses are pretty ignorant towards PC gamers who dont like gamepads…

‘If I wanted to use M/KB ill use my PC’ blah blah blah… Thats all well and good for you but when a good console exclusive comes out especially a shooter I always wish I could use my mouse and keyboard… Maybe this will be the time when major nelson actually done/ said something that isnt completely retarded or full of lies.

#10 10 months ago
  11. Panthro

^ lol at chunky defending his precious microsoft, I dont know the numbers to back this up but I can bet Valve makes more money per day than microsoft does with xbox digital games and steam games are cheaper

#11 10 months ago
  12. Ireland Michael

@9 Microsoft has been trying to emulate Steam’s success for years, and is infamously failing to do so.

“Why on earth would someone play anything else but the next Xbox when it comes out?”

In order to be able to play countless other games that will never appear on the format?

#12 10 months ago
  13. Panthro

@ireland

I agree, Microsoft are too tight to even come close to what valve do.

#13 10 months ago
  14. monkeygourmet

PC Architecture
    Updates and game installation
    Keyboard & Mouse support
    Apps
    Online MMOs with subscriptions

….

When do we stop calling next gen consoles and just call them PC’s?

#14 10 months ago
  15. Doppleganger

Great now Im going to get my ass handed to me! I like consoles for the reason of having controllers but realize keyboard and mouse is so much better for FPS. Guess Ill have to hook one of so I can show these kids how its done.

#15 10 months ago
  16. Hybridpsycho

There are great adapters for the 360 and PS3 which allows you to use m+kb for the consoles.

The problem is that if the developers doesn’t take m+kb into account when they’re programming the controls it doesn’t matter, it will be really awkward.

Previous console had m+kb support pretty much, didn’t mean the developers cared about it.

#16 10 months ago
  17. DSB

@12 They’ve been halfassing it though, it was clearly a backburner project right from the start.

A company like Microsoft, specializing in software, should be able to make a client like Origin without even breaking a sweat.

The only way they could fuck up as badly as they have is if it was very low on their list of priorities. I would think.

But then again… The Zune was a serious project, and that was an awful fucking device. Maybe I’m giving them too much credit here.

#17 10 months ago
  18. Ireland Michael

I swear, sometimes people literally read nothing but the headlines.

Larry pretty much said that while it’s entirely possible, they have absolutely no plans to implement it, for the simple and obvious fact that the console market isn’t the PC marker.

@17 Microsoft is bad at designing things full stop. If it wasn’t for the success of Windows (an openly useable ripoff of the Mac OS), the company would have been nothing but a footnote in history.

#18 10 months ago
  19. Doppleganger

Yea its too bad that theres actually nothing wrong with the Xbox One at all and all there faults were inflicted by dumb ass poeple not knowing what they want.
    But its funny cause its true about Microsoft.. but they do know there gaming.

#19 10 months ago
  20. sebastien rivas

Well kb and m did nottake long for MS and gamers tobunderstand where the threat comes from.
    Kb and m are a must for bf series and alike. Also kb and m are a must to go through library orxsurf the net painlessly.
    Of course valve is NOT going to swallow MS, of course not but heyvprofit is profit and market share may not be sooo… welcoming after all.
    And that is for our best interest.
    Though remember something MS, a kb and a mouse is not more than 25 bucks by lookingbonline. May not be best indeed but don’t expect huge profit on a xbox 1′s kb and m orvthose inputs will never take off and will leave Valve on a free ride

#20 10 months ago
  21. pcbros

@18 – “The Xbox brand was the closest they’ve ever come to a follow up success since, and well… they completely destroyed the possibility of that continuing to be the case thanks to the Xbox One.”

It’s a little early to call the Xbox One a failure isn’t it?

We, the minority, who patrol gaming websites know all the mistakes Microsoft has made with the Xbox One’s reveal. But the majority of Xbox gamers are actually playing as we write this and are probably excited about getting the next-generation of Xbox.

Also, with commercials constantly rubbing Smart TVs in our faces with their voice/motion control… people might see the Xbox One as a nice way to upgrade their gaming console and TV.

A lot can happen in the next ten years… it’s not a sprint to see who wins the launch, it’s a marathon to see who makes it to the end on top.

#21 10 months ago
  22. pcbros

@17 – “If it wasn’t for the success of Windows (an openly useable ripoff of the Mac OS), the company would have been nothing but a footnote in history.”

Actually both Apple and Microsoft ripped off Xerox.

“Xerox did go to trial to protect the Star user interface. In 1989, after Apple sued Microsoft for copyright infringement of its Macintosh user interface in Windows, Xerox filed a similar lawsuit against Apple.”

Just a little computer history :)

#22 10 months ago
  23. Kuwabara

he resembles jimmy from sons of anarchy

#23 10 months ago
  24. Dunno

In this case I might buy an Xbox one after all

#24 10 months ago
  25. Ireland Michael

@21 At best, it will be a second runner to the PS4. At worse, it will die a slow and painful death after launch when developers notice a vastly larger audience on the competing platform, and decide that the attach rate on one format isn’t really high enough to justify developing for multiple formats.

@22 True, but its undeniable that Windows followed in the success of the Mac OS… without any of the reliability, polish or stability of the competition A fact that has remained mostly constant for almost 20 years.

#25 10 months ago
  26. pcbros

@25 – The Xbox 360 had a larger installed base versus the PS3 for a while and it didn’t stop companies from developing for multiple formats. The PS3 actually even made quite a comeback in it’s last years.

As for Microsoft “stealing ideas”… doesn’t Sony do the same?

The d-pad, analog stick, shoulder buttons, start/select buttons, four face buttons, motion controls (which look so close to the Wii-mote) are all ripped from Nintendo.

We could argue that if it wasn’t for Nintendo, Sony (and Microsoft) would be nothing in the gaming industry.

Sony didn’t invent anything that made them successful… very few companies do.

#26 10 months ago
  27. Legendaryboss

Sony ripped of motion controls from Nintendo? I’ll forget all about Eyetoy in 2003.

And according to Wikipedia Nintendo ripped off most if not all things stated.

#27 10 months ago
  28. pcbros

^^^ They ripped off the Wii-mote and Nunchuck setup. Sony had no shame ripping that design.

#28 10 months ago
  29. Joe Musashi

I do so enjoy grandiose accusations of copycat behavior. Which are then disputed. And then reduced to lesser and more ambiguous examples of copying.

“Bu.. bu.. Just cos I’m wrong doesn’t mean my criticism isn’t valid”

Good grief. Back to 2005 and beyond.

JM

#29 10 months ago
  30. monkeygourmet

@PCBros

Yeah, we’ve been here before.

Sony / MS didn’t copy. Nintendo used an existing device and made it popular, then other companies wanted a piece of the pie and brought out similar devices they had been sitting on.

So Nintendo don’t really invent things, just make them popular or market things well enough for other companies to want in on that market share.

Don’t ever say they invent things or other companies copied them.

#30 10 months ago
  31. pcbros

I stand corrected on Nintendo actually inventing some of those things.

But my point still stands, Microsoft isn’t the only one that steals ideas, Sony does it all the time as well. Whether they copied Nintendo or another company… they copied them.

I do find it interesting that Microsoft being accused of copying Apple was not a problem but the minute Sony is accused of doing the same… Damage Control steps in to lessen the situation.

#31 10 months ago
  32. Legendaryboss

I’m sorry i look at @26 and see damage control as well and I find it interesting how you constantly backpedal on your points and resort to a final retort “as soon as Sony is mentioned”. I could say “As soon as MS copy Mac OS is mentioned” someone says Nintendo invented various things, disproven, go to another example, disproven and then we have the above.

Damage control, which seems to be unknown in the eye of the beholder.

#32 10 months ago
  33. pcbros

@32 – My point was that Sony’s own success is also based on stolen ideas. Whether they stole it from Nintendo or Xerox doesn’t change that fact.

I did say I stand corrected on Nintendo actually inventing some of those things. Where is the back pedaling?

#33 10 months ago
  34. Legendaryboss

I am not refuting Sony stealing ideas, i’m refuting the supposed origin of where the idea came from. Where? “are all ripped off from Nintendo” “i stand corrected on Nintendo actually inventing some of those things” By your logic Nintendo’s success is also based on stolen ideas.

Backpedaling and cherrypicking.

#34 10 months ago
  35. fearmonkey

I like Larry but it’s a bit annoying to hear “we have the best” yadd yadda yadda. It’s cool his 70 year old mother builds her own pC’s though lol.

“We have the headset in the box of course” – Yeah after the internet complained when it was first announced there wasn’t an included headset.

I am a PC gamer that pretty much uses controllers rather than keyboard and mice unless I am playing competitive multiplayer on PC and need that extra precision. Adding keyboard and mice support is nice, but if they put it in a multiplayer setting, it won’t be a fair fight. Listening to Larry, he never really says its a planned thing, that its “possible”, so no reason to get excited.

I thought it a more interesting point that the Xbox One and Xbox 360 wont be able to chat on XBL at launch.

“It supports 4k gaming” hahahahahahaha…………. Yeah Pong at 4k will look great. It must have one heck of a scaler because no way the GPU can handle that.

#35 10 months ago
  36. pcbros

@34 – “By your logic Nintendo’s success is also based on stolen ideas. Backpedaling and cherrypicking.”

I’m not defending Nintendo’s success is not based on stolen ideas, am I? I’ll do my own research to confirm exactly what Nintendo did or did not invent but I already said I would take your word for it. No argument here on that point.

So me accepting correction is backpedaling?

Also, where does cherry picking even come into play?

#36 10 months ago
  37. DSB

@35 If they moved now though, they could really sandbag Valve by doing a reverse Steambox.

Create a cross platform client, PC oriented, Origin/Steam quality, great design, and simply allow your purchases on the PC to transfer to your Xbox One and vice versa. Add keyboard/mouse functionality.

Instant Steam Machine. Sans the open platform thing.

Of course I think it’s very unlikely that they’d feel that was worth doing (plus it would ruin gamepad shooters) but it’s obviously gonna be a while until Valve break free of Windows, so now would be the perfect time. It would be pretty Machiavellian.

It’s obviously on their radar “somewhere” in the ether though, with all the streaming features they’re announcing – Sony as well. Valve definitely has competition there.

#37 10 months ago
  38. Legendaryboss

You did backpedal.

#38 10 months ago
  39. pcbros

@38 – “Cherrypicking Sony as stealing ideas when almost every business does in some way.”

At #26 I said, “Sony didn’t invent anything that made them successful… very few companies do.”

Doesn’t sound like I singled out Sony… but I guess you would see it that way.

You didn’t correct the accusation that Microsoft copied Apple, yet corrected my comment on Sony copying Nintendo. Smells like cherrypicking to me. By your logic, wouldn’t that make you a hypocrite?

#39 10 months ago
  40. Legendaryboss

Why would I when you already done it? @22/26. Thats hardly the original problem anyway. You said Sony ripped off Nintendo Motion controls, proved wrong but wasn’t the real point.

What logic? My problem was you giving credit to Nintendo for inventing all those things. Thats it.

@34: “I’m not refuting that Sony steals ideas cont…” So no not a hypocrite. More so when i acknowledge almost every business does it.

#40 10 months ago
  41. DSB

Good artists copy, great artists steal. That’s why patents are poisonous to everything we want to do.

#41 10 months ago
  42. pcbros

@40 – My main point was that Microsoft isn’t the only company that steals ideas.

Whether Nintendo was the source of Sony’s ideas or not, wasn’t my real point. I just wanted to show others do it too.

#42 10 months ago