Writers’ Guild Awards nominations include Tomb Raider, Thomas Was Alone

Tuesday, 8th October 2013 03:28 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Three local talents have been nominated in the Writers’ Guild of Great Britain’s 2013 awards.

The 2013 Writers’ Guild Awards include just one category pertaining to video games, with the following nominations:

• Tomb Raider (Rhianna Pratchett)
  • Thomas Was Alone (Mike Bithell)
  • Lego City Undercover (Graham Goring)

The full list of nominees in all categories can be found on the organisation’s website. The Award ceremony will be held November 13 in London.

Thanks, Dragon.

1. salarta

Aaaand eye roll. Though I’m not surprised, for two reasons. One, historically video games with actually good material get passed over because they’re not overhyped and forced into the mainstream far enough. Two, upon looking at the page, I see that these awards are exclusive to material made in Great Britain.

Tomb Raider is guaranteed to win. It’s the one that everyone is obsessed with lately like any other time-sensitive hyped up trend, and the one that most closely fits the cheap Hollywood model of how to treat story and characters.

#1 12 months ago
  2. DSB

Tomb Raider really only had the one well drawn up character. The rest were just beyond bad.

They were barely characters at all, more like blatant archetypes. “I don’t like you” “I’m naive!” “I’m big and strong” “I’m old and wise” “I’m a tough old geezer” and then you had the sweet nerd which I don’t remember seeing in a lot of places, but he was obviously supposed to be adorable.

They really belonged in a cheap 80′s horror movie, and I was kinda hoping they’d get picked off in the same fashion, just for being such a rote bunch of clich├ęs.

Next one’s probably going to Dan Houser… Oh boy.

#2 12 months ago
  3. YungBroccoli

Why aren’t they not including Last of Us or Bioshock infinite. Tomb Raider was a quality game but writing wise its nothing special. Lara Croft did have a transition admittedly and its not like it took long for her to change. Along with the stereotypical almost rape scene they put in. Which wasn’t required. You have games like Heavenly Sword and Mirrors Edge that don’t need that to show off their character being strong. Yes it was her beginning but does a female beginning to become an warrior include almost rape or rape every time?

Around every checkpoint there was ridiculous death sequence its almost like they put the train wreck cliff scene from Uncharted 2 in over and over.

Also the other characters were low quality. Her mentor was the only shining character from the cast other than Lara herself. The game didn’t even a okay antagonist, the main enemy was just a random cult leader.

Weirdly enough not one female enemy other than supernatural Goddess technically.

I understand Thomas was alone, but really Lego and Tomb Raider. When you have games like Bioshock Infinite, Last of us and if they waited long enough Beyond two souls. Not to mention Walking Dead by tell tale.

Tomb Raider will most likely win due to the female character being the lead and the name history.

I’m glad the Writer Guild are acknowledging Video Game Writers. I just think they chose the wrong video game titles or add some more to the list.

#1 Britain is the reason, I understand now.

#3 12 months ago
  4. Ireland Michael

Correct me if I’m wrong, but don’t you have the be a member of the Writer’s Guild to be nominated?

It seems these nominations are specifically for British writers only. That would explain the lack of certain games. This isn’t an all encompassing award ceremony.

#4 12 months ago
  5. YoungZer0

@4: Yep, you have to be a member.

@2: Agreed. Not that Lara had that much depth, but Jesus H. Christ. They didn’t even try with the other characters.

#5 12 months ago
  6. zoopdeloop

@5 nor with the main story itself.I mean a japanese queen deity…yawn

#6 12 months ago
  7. DrDamn

Thomas Was Alone is a decent shout – it’s what makes the game, as is Lego City Undercover incidentally (really quite funny in places).

#7 12 months ago
  8. YoungZer0

Thomas Was Alone is actually a pretty boring game. It would be nothing without it’s writing and voicework.

#8 12 months ago