Sony Worldwide president says PS3 will last at least for “the next couple of years”

Friday, 4th October 2013 01:37 GMT By Phil Owen

GamesIndustry spoke with Sony Worldwide Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida about the future of the PS3 going forward with the launch of the PlayStation 4 just six weeks away, and he says he is holding out hope that the current-gen console will continue to thrive in the next few years due to the price difference between it and its successor.

Shuhei Yoshida

“There’s still a lot of price difference in terms of the hardware and the games, and PS3 has been doing great — but it’s not like everyone owns a PS3 already,” Yoshida said. “There’s always a group of consumers who come late in the cycle, people who wait for the price to come down.

“We’re expanding geographically as well. The demand from Latin America, for example, is really, really strong for PS3. So we’ll have a parallel strategy with PS3 and PS4, like we had between PS2 and PS3. PS3 was launched in 2006, in the sixth year of PS2, but PS2 lasted for another five years. I don’t know if PS3 will last another five years — but definitely for the next couple of years, because of the price difference, the great library of games and the publisher side being able to support both.”

Yoshida also referenced the cross-generational nature of many upcoming games, both big-budget and indie, as well as how some new games will be current-gen only even next year.

1. Crapgamer

He doesn’t sound very convincing. I know the PlayStation brand is known for supporting multiple consoles at the same time, but I don’t think Sony really wants to keep supporting the PS3 like it did with the PS1/PS2. For one thing, those consoles were well over 100+ million sold by the time their successor was out, and they were making a lot of money on each sold. It’s simply not the case for the PS3.

I’m sure we’ll see another year or so of support, but the PS3 is a HUGE black mark on Sony’s gaming resume.

#1 10 months ago
  2. pcbros

“There’s always a group of consumers who come late in the cycle, people who wait for the price to come down.”

Yoshida, to celebrate the launch of the PS4, I say we create the ultimate PS3 bundle. Check it out…

– Playstation 3 console
    – 250 HDD or better
    – Free game download code
    – 1-year PS Plus

For the price of $199.99

You already have a similar bundle with Uncharted 3 for $249.99, so it shouldn’t be to difficult.

#2 10 months ago
  3. gomersoul

@1 I see your point but to suggest ps3 is a failure in any way is incorrect… It had a difficult start of Sony’s own doing combined with a strong showing from the 360… Now they are roundabout equal in worldwide sales with the ps3 having a slightly larger install base, I expect things like fifa to continue but big exclusives are unlikely and probably a waste of time, the ps4 is about to make a strong start if indications are to be believed so switching focus faster than ps2 – ps3 is a smart move. Psp go and the vita so far are failures. They might save the vita but they have put far worse products out in the last decade than the ps3

#3 10 months ago
  4. KAP

I saw in GAME yesterday FIFA 14 for PS2 – £19.99

That’s incredible. That’s what? 14 years still in the market.

#4 10 months ago
  5. Clupula

I can see the third party support for the PS3 slowing down in 2015 and then stopping almost altogether in 2016. 2014 is still filled with a ton of awesome games, especially from the Japanese.

I don’t see myself switching over to the PS4 until around 2015, as it is.

#5 10 months ago
  6. VibraniumSpork

I’ve found myself in the position where I’m going to be able to keep my PS3 alongside the PS4; for a while there I thought I was going to have to trade it re: next-gen funding.

I’m pretty pleased I don’t have to though, if nothing else than for PS+. I know it takes some knocks on this site but it’s given me a pretty lengthy back-catalogue of great games to play, with more sure to come over the next few months. When/if the PS4 release schedule hits a dry patch over the next year, I think I’ll be hitting the PS3 pretty regularly to catch-up on some of the titles I missed.

Jus’ sayin’.

#6 10 months ago
  7. Ilovesony

you have to keep in mind.. we have alot of “budget gamers” out there. usually only the hardcore gamers move rapidly to the next console. and with todays economy only the hardcore gamers have preordered their PS4 (guilty) but during the holiday season there is always that new kid to videogames and that mom or dad looking for the great value. so as #2 stated getting a ps3 with a hardrive and free game download for 199 is a perfect introductory for those who are just getting into games. Just my opinion.

#7 10 months ago