Killzone: Shadow Fall devs rejected touch-sensitive DualShock 4 prototype

Friday, 4th October 2013 12:50 GMT By Dave Cook

Killzone: Shadow Fall developer Guerrilla Games has discussed its role in helping Sony create the PS4′s new DualShock 4 controller with VG247. It was – at one point – touch sensitive, but the team didn’t like it.

As part of an interview you can read here on VG247 next week, Killzone: Shadow Fall lead designer Eric Boltjes touched on the studio’s involvement with Sony in conceptualising PS4 alongside system architect Mark Cerny.

On the DualShock 4 he told me, “One of the things we wanted to improve upon was the controllers. I personally feel that in previous Killzones, the DualShock was always good, but when you looked at other controllers they had an edge. We really worked together with Mark from Sony on improving the controller. For example, the triggers. We wanted better triggers. They previously reverted inwards where, in a shooter game, that’s not very good. Your fingers slip off.

“We really pushed them to make better triggers that go up. Also stuff like the touch-pad. When I first saw it on the prototype controller I was like, ‘What the hell am I supposed to do with that? It’s not an iPhone game.’ But I’m really surprised as to how well that little thing works. I’m not promoting it, I don’t have to sell that controller, but I’m really happy with how it works in our game. Everything else works now, from response time, the dead-zones, everything is better. The lag is gone, and that makes Killzone a better game.”

He added, “When developing PS4 and our game as well, we held a lot of prototypes, and we played around with them as well. In one, they had replaced all of the buttons were touch-sensitive. We just said, ‘No’.”

I’m glad they put their foot down, as the DualShock 4 is a responsive, tactile improvement over the PS3 pad.

Have you held DualShock 4 yet? If so, what did you think?

The full article drops Monday. Stay tuned.

1. Crapgamer

“One of the things we wanted to improve upon was the controllers. I personally feel that in previous Killzones, the DualShock was always good, but when you looked at other controllers they had an edge.”

I love that a Sony developer admits the Xbox 360 had the better controller. I don’t particularly like the DS4 design either though, looks bulky and I bet those things will be picky with the touch screen. Glad Microsoft didn’t go for a gimmicky controller option

#1 1 year ago
  2. _LarZen_

I just cant get past the feeling that the touch pad is one big gimmick. The controller itself looks comfortable.

I have not tested neither of the new controllers but as I see it the only controller bringing something useful to the gaming experience is the rumble motors in the XBO controller.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Eregol

@1 You talk like you’ve never held one. So….
    The Dualshock 4 is much much better than a DS3. It feels more solid, sits comfortably in the hand and everything is easily reachable without having to stretch your thumbs.

In comparison, the XB1 controller felt light, almost hollow. I felt like I could crush it if I gripped it too tightly.
    The rumble was also practically non-existent. But that could have been down to how the Dead Rising devs are implementing it.

Although, I kind of wish the DR3 devs had implemented that, as I didn’t get anything of the kind from when I played it.

#3 1 year ago
  4. _LarZen_

@3 “And…..no gimmicky controller option? Rumble in the triggers? Not a gimmick? What purpose does a vibrating trigger server exactly?”

In Forza 5 you can feel the tarmac on individual triggers, you can feel the tires starting to loose grip. The ABS kicking in etc.

Imagine in a FPS game you can feel a little resistance as you are pulling the trigger, or a slight click on your finger as you are running out of bullets. Many examples of practical uses for it.

The trackpad on the DS4 could probably have uses but nothing you could not already do before. And it’s in my eyes ergonomically wrong placed.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Madlink

@3 I agree with you that the DS4 is much better than the DS3, but I have to disagree on the XB1 controller. The rumble was one of the first things I noticed, especially in games such as Forza as #4 said.

Thankfully both controllers are pretty darn good this time and shouldn’t be a problem no matter which platform you go with. :)

#5 1 year ago
  6. Eregol

@4 It’s not resistance. It’s rumble.
    You wont feel it pushing against you. Just the trigger vibrating. That was from a guy who played Forza at EGX.

As for the ergonomical standpoint of the touchpad, it’s positioned in just the right place so you can reach the whole thing. Seriously. The still pictures do it no justice. The controller isn’t as big as pictures of the net make it out to be.

#6 1 year ago
  7. VibraniumSpork

@4 + @5 Quite agree on the XB1 trigger-tech (I believe it’s called Haptic Feedback?); I’m not as yet picking up an XB1 but this is actually one of the features I’m most ‘jealous’ of as a PS4 backer.

Some of the hands-on reviews I’ve read have made it seem like while it’s a feature you’ve not missed before, once you’ve tried it you don’t want to go back. Can’t wait to give it a try myself!

#7 1 year ago
  8. Eregol

@5 As I said about the pad rumble, it might be how the DR3 devs are implementing it as to why it was so weak. But it was what I felt (or lack of it) that stuck out when I used the pad.
    I also didn’t like the positioning of the bumbers, as they’re kind of ‘housed’ in that shiny plastic that has the Xbox logo on it. As such I lost them a few times as they were further forward than I thought they were.

The DS3 was an adequate pad. But it had a lot of errors than Sony have put right with the DS4.
    As for the touch pad, using directional swipes in KZ is probably the only in game implementation I’ve heard so far. The only other use was for the map in Assassin’s Creed. Clicking it brings the map up. You can then scroll around the map and pinch to zoom/spread fingers to zoom out.
    It’ll be interesting to see if devs actually use this in any way, or if it’ll just be the first party devs that do anything with it.

#8 1 year ago
  9. VibraniumSpork

@8 “The only other use was for the map in Assassin’s Creed. Clicking it brings the map up. You can then scroll around the map and pinch to zoom/spread fingers to zoom out.” – Neat! Was it responsive enough? How does it stack up to iPhone sensitivity etc.?

#9 1 year ago
  10. Eregol

@9 I wish I could say. What I typed was what the Ubisoft rep told me verbatim. I was too busy running away from people with pointy things to actually try using it.

To be honest, the Ubi rep wasn’t much help. The guys on the DR3 area of XB1 really knew how to show you through a demo, making sure we saw everything that they thought was cool. Pointing us to points of interest when we were near.

#10 1 year ago
  11. Major Mayhem 70

“We wanted better triggers. They previously reverted inwards where, in a shooter game, that’s not very good. Your fingers slip off.”
    “We really pushed them to make better triggers that go up.”

Hhhhmmmm. Triggers that feel like… Well triggers. How innovative…

Glad they fixed the DS. Can’t wait to get my hands on it in a few weeks. Let the countdown begin!!!!

#11 1 year ago
  12. Major Mayhem 70

Aside from the directional pad overhaul, it doesn’t look like the Xbox One controller deviated too much from the 360. The X1 controller should be perfect. At least for FPS. Let the countdown begin indeed!!!

#12 1 year ago
  13. Javinator

Speaking of controllers, Funny hoe people were making fun of the Xbone but I don’t need 2 boners! Lol
    The PS4 controllers grips/handles look like 2 penises. I’m sure you Sony fanboys love the idea of gripping firmly onto 2 penises.

Enjoy your DualPenis 4 controller

#13 1 year ago
  14. Eregol

@13 If you’re seeing penises it says more about your state of mind than people who see the controller.

#14 1 year ago
  15. VibraniumSpork

@14 Oh, that was splendid! ^_^

#15 1 year ago
  16. fearmonkey

@13 – It’s ok if you think like that, You need to just accept who you are and move on. The rest of us don’t equate controllers as a phallic symbol.

Both consoles have great controllers this time, and it’s exciting that both have something unique about them.

I have always disliked the Dualshocks and loved the Xbox controllers. This is the first PS controller that I am eager to try.

I love the idea of the touchpad, I could see it being used for many cool things. It could be just gimmicky (using it as a print scanner) as well but for certain games, having a touchpad for UI will be nice (zooming in, swiping, etc)

The triggers on the Xbone controller really intrigue me, i wonder if it might be like rumble itself, where it becomes pretty much a defacto standard in controllers.

#16 1 year ago
  17. pcbros

I held both controllers at E3 and I think they were both great. The XB1 did not feel hollow at all. The only controller that has ever felt hollow to me was the original PS3 controller.

As for the DS4, it’s a big improvement over the DS3 controller. Felt more solid. I just don’t understand why they insist on have the analog sticks so close together. But that’s a preference.

The touch screen doesn’t bother me. I’m sure they will find some creative use for it.

#17 1 year ago