Xbox games demo shows streaming from cloud to PC, mobile – rumour

Thursday, 26th September 2013 22:40 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Microsoft showed off a new games streaming service at an internal meeting this week, according to anonymous reports, showing off Xbox 360 games played on PC and mobile.

Anonymous sources speaking to The Verge said Microsoft demonstrated Halo 4 streamed from the cloud to a low-end PC and a Windows Phone device with an Xbox controller attached via a peripheral.

The service is intended to allow Microsoft to stream games to Windows devices, the report claimed, but has not yet named the prototype system.

Sources said the streaming was smooth, with latency to a Lumia 520 at just 45ms.

Microsoft is yet to respond to requests for comment.

Thanks, Polygon.

1. pcbros

Very interesting indeed Microsoft…

“If the report is accurate, and Microsoft brings the streaming product to market, it would have two interesting ramifications. It would answer Sony’s Gaikai streaming plans for PlayStation 3 and PS4, and it could provide some kind of Xbox One backwards compatibility with Xbox 360.”

Not only that, but they would build a small bridge between PC and console gaming. Playing Xbox 360 games on my PC would be nice. If Sony answers with a feature that allows PSN users to stream their games to a PC, that would be even better.

Essentially I would have access to all my Steam, Xbox Live, and PSN games on one hardware :D

#1 1 year ago
  2. fearmonkey

Very interesting if true…

#2 1 year ago
  3. ysleiro

But no the cloud is a whole bunch of BULLSHIT right “average vg247 troll”?

“Teh cloud!” right?

#3 1 year ago
  4. Fin

“The service is intended to allow Microsoft to stream games”

“to Windows devices”

#4 1 year ago
  5. pcbros

@2 – Hoping it’s true :)

I miss some of my XBL/PSN games and I wouldn’t mind picking up a few new ones.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Lengendaryboss

Teh power of teh cloud! :) Happy?

#6 1 year ago
  7. Drewidian

@2 I think this has been a long planned service. We already have our saves on the 360 to the cloud. It makes sense that it could be accessed by any device. I think this will enable any SmartGlass device to access this service and stream your games to whatever device you have. If they make this a free part of XBox Live, it could become very interesting.

#7 1 year ago
  8. ysleiro

@Drewidian I doubt it would be free. Its sounds like it requires maintenance.

#8 1 year ago
  9. pcbros

Streaming is the future…

Replacing hardware on the user end will be a thing of the past.

#9 1 year ago
  10. TheWulf

This is interesting, but I can’t help but wish that it was Sony that was doing this — and with the PS3 as well. Only Sony has exclusives that I’m slightly interested in, really. Microsoft has never had any.

Sorry MS, this won’t attract me to your system.

#10 1 year ago
  11. absolutezero

Every single time I read about the Cloud doing anything I just imagine someone doing jazz hands while saying it.

#11 1 year ago
  12. pcbros

@10 – I don’t see why Sony couldn’t.

If this rumour is true, it one ups Sony’s PS4-Vita streaming feature. So maybe Sony will have an answer to that.

#12 1 year ago
  13. Phoenixblight

#13 1 year ago
  14. pcbros

^^^ Hopefully Sony allows streaming to Android/iOS. With iOS now supporting external controllers, this could be really good.

Both Microsoft and Sony need to make sure our PSN/XBL purchases are still attached to our accounts and give us access to all those games we bought in the past.

Can’t wait to see if this becomes a reality.

#14 1 year ago
  15. loki

only full idiots belive in this

#15 1 year ago
  16. silkvg247

I’m confused… Xbox to PC? Isn’t that the wrong way around, what purpose could it ever serve?

#16 1 year ago
  17. VibraniumSpork

@16 You could have a really old shitty laptop/PC that’s unable to run AC4 or whatever but that wouldn’t matter if the game was just streamed from your XB1 to your PC.

I agree though, the PC element *does* seem a little redundant. Tablets and Smartphones though…not so much. Many more of those in circulation than Vitas. No buttons or analogue sticks however…get around that one MS!

#17 1 year ago
  18. Pytox

45ms that is waaay too much, ofcouse it’s in planning stages but still

#18 1 year ago
  19. Erthazus

It’s going to be funny if MS will stream it’s console games to PC. :D haha

#19 1 year ago
  20. pcbros

@16 – People who don’t own an Xbox 360 can play 360 games on their PC/Mobile with out the need of expensive hardware.

#20 1 year ago
  21. antraxsuicide

@20 To add to that, people who don’t own an Xbox 360 can play 360 games on their PC/Mobile with out the need of expensive hardware….

…and MS gets to monetize a group of people that would never buy a console. It’s genius. I know a TON of PC-only gamers who would love to pick up Gears or Halo again, and now they’ve got a way to do that, and MS makes more money. Win-win.

#21 1 year ago
  22. Arcnail

So how is it you can stream a game to a next gen console, but you can’t actually play the game off the disk?

Oh.. cause streaming will come at an additional cost, and they won’t make any more money off you playing games you already bought.

#22 1 year ago
  23. pcbros

@21 – I was a 360 owner but now I’m more inclined to PC gaming. I did however invest a lot of money on Xbox Live Arcade games. I’d love to get those back and pick up some new titles on the way.

@22 – Because with streaming the computer on the other side (the server) is playing the game, not the actual user hardware (in this case the XB1). So basically you are watching a “live feed” of a game being played on a sever far away (aka cloud). When you press “A”, that command is sent to the server and the game reacts accordingly. Then you see the results of that button press on your end.

So the user hardware whether it be a PC or Xbox One, is just used for streaming the video to your TV/Monitor and sending input commands to the server. In other words, the Xbox One hardware does not need to be developed to support backwards compatibility. It just needs to be able to stream video in a sense.

You should try out Onlive (Origin used to have some streaming game demos as well) to get a better feel for it. The HUGE advantage of streaming is that you don’t need expensive hardware.

#23 1 year ago