DualShock 4 symmetrical thumbsticks approved by FPS players, devs

Friday, 20th September 2013 07:11 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Although Xbox fans will ofen tell you they hate the PlayStation’s symmetrical thumbsticks, Sony polled shooter players and developers extensively and was given the nod to continue the trend with the DualShock 4.

Lead engineer Mark Cerny told IGN Sony seriously considered changing up the PlayStation 4′s control pad, but stuck with the current alignment after testing extensively with consumers.

“We made and tested a ridiculously broad style of controllers, and we would actually have people play games with them. And the current controller design came out of that,” he said.

“We did indeed conclude that the two joysticks on the same level works perfectly well. That did come out of our testing.”

Sony also asked for feedback from developers.

“We sent out prototypes to major FPS creators. We looked at the top-selling titles, if they were people we could talk to, we began sending over a stream of controllers. And we would ask them things like concavity or convexity, or trigger pressure, or trigger location, or accuracy, or the like,” Cerny said.

“It was extremely helpful to have the designers of some of the top FPSes on our controller design project.”

The DualShock 4 looks a lot like the last few PlayStation controllers, but reports suggest it has been more ergonomically shaped, It has a light bar for motion tracking, a headphone jack, a speaker, a Share button for easy video and image upload, and a capacitative touch pad.

Thanks, Polygon.

1. G1GAHURTZ

Flamebait article mentions age old argument…

…blah, blah, blah more comfortable.

…blah, blah, blah thumbs in the the same place on both hands.

…blah, blah, blah PS1 controller.

…blah, blah, blah you’re a noob and a troll.

The end.

#1 10 months ago
  2. gomersoul

I have held this pad and even though it looks similar it feels so much better. The thumb sticks being close together was the main problem, they’re like 2cm further apart now so this controller just wins…

#2 10 months ago
  3. Belazur

I could hold the DUALSHOCK 4 in my hands during my GAMESCOM visit in germany.
    I didn’t like the DUALSHOCK 3, but DAMN….. the DUALSHOCK 4 is the best controller I’ve ever seen.
    It feels perfect! Absolutely perfect!
    Just check it out for yourself :-)

#3 10 months ago
  4. Cort

Just rub some Savlon into it once a day and you’ll be able sit down comfortably again soon.

#4 10 months ago
  5. viralshag

Eurogamer in about a week. That’s going to determine what console I’m getting as I will finally be able to get my hands on the controllers amd some of the games.

#5 10 months ago
  6. super3001

ds4 built for fps but they still got sticks in wrong place! lol so much fail

#6 10 months ago
  7. AngryConsumer

finally it is now proven that “two joysticks on the same level works perfectly well”, this should end all the complains for good. so there you have it xbots, it is not the controller there is something wrong with.

#7 10 months ago
  8. Bomba Luigi

My Problem just always was that the Lower Position never felt that good for me. It dosn’t matter that much for the Right stick because on the Right side I use the Buttons more.

But its not a “Oh my God, I wanna die because of that” Problem, its just not Perfect for me. But I can life with it, and before I judge the PS4 Controller I have to use it.

#8 10 months ago
  9. Dave Cook

DualShock 4 feels better in the hands and more robust, but I really want that left stick to be above the d-pad.

This, and ridged thumbsticks are the only things the Xbox One pad does better. I used them both extensively at gamescom. The LB/RB buttons on Xbox One’s pad are really odd. They don’t press in much, don’t click and feel really strange to me.

I need more time with them though. Only a prolonged test will tell.

#9 10 months ago
  10. CycloneFox

Even though the Xbox360 controller is pretty awesome, even after seven years of use, I always feel a little uncomfortable when playing with the XBox360 controller because the thumb sticks are not symetrical. I always have the feeling, I’m running aslantly with the left stick. The right stick, on the other hand, is great, of course.

I’m extremely looking foreward to the DS4, as I believe, it shares the best of both worlds in one. The Xbox One controller does nearly the same of course.

#10 10 months ago
  11. Lord Gremlin

I know for a fact that I can’t play with asymmetrical sticks. So xbox360 and xbox controllers for PC were always out of question for me.
    I stick to Playstation and for PC Logitech provides decent controllers.

I never understood what idiot came with idea of xbox controller. Hands, they’re symmetrical.

#11 10 months ago
  12. Lv01

@11 +1

#12 10 months ago
  13. OmegaSlayer

I find asymettrical very stupid and uncomfortable, but that’s just personal opinion.

#13 10 months ago
  14. super3001

asymmetric is like rifle grip. left hand forward thumb forward. right hand back thum back.

much more natural means both thumbs forward/backward do not create forward/back pivot throu middle like in ds design load is spread front left an back right where thumbs are give opposite force

not preference or opinion. assymetric is factual better design.

#14 10 months ago
  15. Christopher Jack

I feel as if I’m the only one who can transition from either controller without making a fuss. Not that I donn’t have preferences but they were never so pronounced that I’d complain about being handed one over another.

For example I hate the Dualshock 1-3 sticks after a while as they wear & tear too easily, the X360 sticks tear just as easily but they take much longer to wear out- they don’t become loose or sticky as quickly.

I also hate the dualshock 3s triggers for the pinching & the occasional bump that tossed a grenade at my feet, the DS1-2 triggers were also bad as they start to become sticky. The X360 bumpers feel odd but remain usable.

Lastly my biggest complaint surrounding either controller is the protruding battery pack on the wireless X360 controller.

Overall I’d say the issues balance each other out but I think I’d personally prefer wired X360 controller> DS2> DS1> DS3> X360 wireless- dat protruding battery pack really knocks it down a few pegs for me.

Still I wouldn’t bitch & moan about being handed any of them, maybe if I were super competitive but I’m not. Then again I’m somewhat competitive at LoL but I only use a generic wired keyboard & wired mouse…

#15 10 months ago
  16. Hcw87

Xbox One with rumble triggers seems awesome to me, especially when playing shooters.

Imagine feeling recoil from every shot that goes off in a shooter for example.

#16 10 months ago
  17. AngryConsumer

@11 +2

#17 10 months ago
  18. Christopher Jack

@16, I thought recoil was considered bad to gun owners.

#18 10 months ago
  19. Arnvidr

The asymmetrical sticks were actually the biggest reason why I never picked up on the original Xbox when it came out. I don’t know if this was because of some limited exposure to Playstation (I didn’t own one), or if I’m just naturally inclined to the symmetrical ones, but as I was much more positive to Microsoft in general back then, and the box was a bit more “open”, or hackable, the controller was possibly the thing that made me buy a PS2.

#19 10 months ago
  20. sg1974

It’s got nothing to do with what’s right and wrong, but about personal preference. Too many butthurt asshats bleat “I don’t care the sticks are still in the wrong place, they should be blah blah blah because…”. That’s funny, a bunch of people think the sticks on another controller are in the wrong place. See what happened there?

#20 10 months ago
  21. Lengendaryboss

I’m fine with both, not sure whats wrong with the rest of you :?

#21 10 months ago
  22. Riseer

@6,I really don’t like the 360 controller at all.Makes my pinky finger hurt after 20 minutes using it.DS3 isn’t a good controller but it feels good in my hands,DS4 seems to be a much better overall controller,while the Xbone pad has…..trigger rumble.

#22 10 months ago
  23. super3001

stock ‘must defend sony’ answer as usual. like most gamers you prefer xbox controller. you just wont admit it.

#23 10 months ago
  24. ddtd

I’m glad to hear the sticks are further apart. I had a hard time with shooters because my dumb thumbs would bang into each other. Also, it’s nice to see the triggers reworked.

#24 10 months ago
  25. Cort

My hands are symmetrical and so is my controller of choice.

And super3001, lose your virginity.

#25 10 months ago
  26. AngryConsumer

@24 “I had a hard time with shooters because my thumbs would bang into each other.”

take off your clown gloves next time then… it might help.

#26 10 months ago
  27. Djoenz

wahahaha thats foony indeed.

#27 10 months ago
  28. nikk900

Is this super3001 guy paid by microsoft to defend them?

#28 10 months ago
  29. Djoenz

No he is actually a Sony fanboy that pretends to hate Sony products.
    And word on the street is xbots pretend to be like ps3fanboy and Angry consumer to give Sony fans a bad name. But you didnt hear from me bro.

There is also the enigma Woe/Units. They say these two are siblings. Twins to be exact.

#29 10 months ago