DriveClub direct feed video shows dynamic shift in the time of day

Friday, 13th September 2013 16:42 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

DriveClub has a new direct feed video available showing the “dynamic shift in the time of day,” set against the Salar de Surire in Chile with design director Paul Rustchynksy driving an Audi R8 V10 Plus.

According to the blog post, the time of day is accelerated by x60, which is why the video covers from 6pm – 9pm in Chile in three laps. Accelerating the speed of time is something you can choose to adjust before you race.

The video was captured in one take from a version of the game still in development and the developer states that optimizations are being made to the visual quality of the game “every day.”

You can read more details on the video through the link and watch it below.

DriveClub will be free to PlayStation Plus members at the PS4′s launch in November, with extra content available via microtransactions. A full release with all content is also available at retail and digitally.

1. Hcw87

Enough with the fugly ghost cars allready, show us other racers on the tracks.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Francis O

Gran Turismo 6 is the racing game to get….not this.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Ireland Michael

That has… completely put me off the game altogether.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Phoenixblight

I can’t wait to play this as the free version. I am not a fan of racing games. I don’t understand how driving in circles is “fun”. The Club looks interesting though that is because you aren’t driving in laps.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Kieran

i dont get why so much hate it looks brill 2 me :D i dont know about use all but i cant wait to play it :) !!! for free 2

#5 1 year ago
  6. Hcw87

No hate, i just want to see something that justifies it running at 30 fps instead of 60 (with PS4′s ”50% more power”).

Like 20+ other cars on track (AI or other players), superior graphics compared to Forza for example.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Moonwalker1982

Compare this to the screenshots, oh man!!! I already am pretty sure that the differences between the consoles will be very small, if anything at all. Just look at Forza 5 and Ryse for example.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Iliad

@6 Sadly it’s not simply a case of how much power the console has, it’s how much talent the developers have.

#8 1 year ago
  9. pcbros

@8 – But isn’t Sony helping these guys out? It’s a launch title and I don’t see how Sony isn’t helping them reach 60fps.

Microsoft is helping Capcom with Dead Rising.

Remember, this is Sony’s launch racing game. If they didn’t want to release GT for PS4 at launch, atleast make a great alternative.

The graphics aren’t my main problem though, it’s the gameplay. I don’t like lose, arcade style controls.

#9 1 year ago
  10. DrDamn

The way it changes from dusk to a night race within 3 laps. Completely impossible in Forza V.

#10 1 year ago
  11. pcbros

@10 – “Completely impossible in Forza V”

Unless you work for a developer who is currently porting this game to the Xbox One, this is just a probable fact, aka guess.

#11 1 year ago
  12. Panthro

@2 Its free, You shouldnt expect the same quality for a game that would cost you an extra £45

@9 I thought Capcom were aiming for 30fps?

#12 1 year ago
  13. DrDamn

Forza V doesn’t do dynamic time of day. The lighting on the track is substantially pre-done. That’s a design decision to hit 60fps. DC does and it’s a major reason why it’s currently 30fps. Not a criticism of either approach but if you want reasons/justifications this is it.

#13 1 year ago
  14. pcbros

@12 – They are and Microsoft was helping them achieve it. I guess Capcom was having a hard time with all those zombies running around. But if I was the DriveClub team, I’d shave down some scenary and get the 60fps.

And don’t forget that DriveClub has a free limited version but I believe there is also a full retail version.

#14 1 year ago
  15. XanderZane

I’ll be playing this and Forza 5 when the systems launch. Turn 10 said they will probably add the day/night shift to Forza 5 as part of a download patch. No word on weather condition changes however.

@10 – Forza Horizon has night/day driving and runs at 30fps. Forza 4 runs at 60fps on the XBox 360. Doing night shifts like that on XBox One won’t be a problem at all. Turn 10 just didn’t have time to implement it into the game.

GT6 is for the PS3. It actually looks a bit better then DC overall, but hopefully it will be better then the disastrous GT5.

#15 1 year ago
  16. II-WAR-STEINER-II

Bla bla 30fps 60fps 30fps 60fps 30fps 60fps 30fps 60fps 30fps 60fps 30fps hello?

That game is work in progress right..? Lets wait for the final version OKAY?

Lets waiting for Digital Foundry

#16 1 year ago
  17. pcbros

@13 – My mistake. I thought you meant this would be impossible on the Xbox One.

#17 1 year ago
  18. Hcw87

It’s a confirmed 30fps title.

#18 1 year ago
  19. DrDamn

Link?

#19 1 year ago
  20. Hcw87

It’s on Neogaf from one of the devs somewhere, looking now.

EDIT: My bad, the guy he’s quoting isn’t a dev.

#20 1 year ago
  21. Ireland Michael

@10 Because day / night cycles are such next gen technology.

Are you for real?

#21 1 year ago
  22. XanderZane

@19 I don’t think the devs have confirmed anything, but every build they’ve shown so far were running at 30fps or less. The 30fps were dropping when 4-5 cars would cram onto the screen at the same time.

Forza 5 will have 24 player online support. Not sure how many Drive Club will have. I doubt either game will keep their frame rates once people play them online.

[url]http://n4g.com/news/1348707/forza-5-supports-24-players-online-has-120-new-cars-and-dedicated-servers[/url]

#22 1 year ago
  23. XanderZane

#23 1 year ago
  24. pcbros

Forza and Gran Turismo are the only racing games I really appreciate. I need to have spot on controls and 60fps :)

I personally don’t care about whether the lighting is dynamic or not. I just want the sensation of actually driving cars I will never own.

The Autovista mode in Forza is nice too :)

#24 1 year ago
  25. DrDamn

I think it will be 30fps, just didn’t think they’d confirmed it yet. Last I saw from the devs was specifically not confirming it yet.

Absofuckinglutely. There is a great Forza V video on this site where the driver comes round the corner and he gets blinded by the sun. He almost stacks it into the wall. The thing is that is the same each and every lap for every driver every time you race on that track. You’d just get used to it. With dynamic time of day, even cloud cover shifting and changing, then each and every lap is different for every driver and different every time you play. That’s not just graphical nicety, that’s gameplay impacting and a great feature in my opinion.

I’m not saying its just next gen technology, but what they’ve implemented and how they’ve done it is one of the major reason for the current frame rate. It’s a design choice.

#25 1 year ago
  26. DrDamn

Oh as I mentioned in the news thread better quality video is available from gamersyde … http://www.gamersyde.com/news_driveclub_dusk_racing_in_chile-14613_en.html

#26 1 year ago
  27. II-WAR-STEINER-II

lol 477mb to download haha but it is okay for that fantastic quality…

#27 1 year ago
  28. Ireland Michael

@24 Burnout Paradise was doing day / night cycles at 60fps… in 2008.

There is absolutely nothing impressive about this.

#28 1 year ago
  29. DrDamn

Day to night with variable and dynamic cloud cover every shadow cast real, every light authentic? You are kind of missing the point though. This was in direct response to how is it different to Forza V. Burnout Paradise is great but this is a much more complex lighting model.

#29 1 year ago
  30. xxJPRACERxx

I think the change is pretty abrupt. So far the best racing game with day/night cycle is GT5. And I’m sure GT6 will be even better.

#30 1 year ago
  31. Doppleganger

Did they blow up the sun!?

#31 1 year ago
  32. Riseer

Drive Club looks damn good if Evolution Studio can get 60fps that will really make a difference.#29 GT6 has been in development much longer then DC with a much bigger team same as Forza 5.

#32 1 year ago
  33. sg1974

The more I see of this game the more I think it should be filed with NfS rather than take the challenge of a broken Gran Turismo franchise. Guess I’ll have to play Forza on my uncle’s One instead.

#33 1 year ago