PS4 stock being held back to combat shortages, Sony confirms

Thursday, 12th September 2013 10:36 GMT By Dave Cook

PlayStation 4 stock is being held back until launch to combat potential shortages in the US, according to Sony Computer Entertainment America boss Jack Tretton.

Speaking with FOX Business, Tretton said, “We want to make sure people can buy a PS4 on November 15 [November 29 in the UK] and through the holidays, so we’re holding back some inventory to make sure people will be able to buy one.

“We can pre-sell every unit we can manufacture, and the good news is that production yields have been phenomenal. We’re going to work very hard to make sure that every consumer that wants one gets one.”

We’re yet to hear if a similar strategy is being employed here in the UK and across Europe. Last month we heard that pre-orders made after August 6 will not be guaranteed.

Would you like to see a similar strategy in other territories? Let us know below.

PS4 launches in America November 15 and across Europe from November 29 at £349 / €399 / $399.

Via CVG.

1. mreko3230

It’s a nice thought to think I can walk into a store on November 15 and just pick on up, but I just don’t see it happening.

#1 11 months ago
  2. tezzer1985

I’m so happy I preordered it in Feb. I just hope it’s delivered to me on time

#2 11 months ago
  3. MFBB

#2 well even if not you could just cancel your pre order, walk into a store and get one.

Thats why they are doing it.

PreOrders are going so very well that the store shelves would be empty and of couse that would suck.

Especially with Christmas only a few weeks after launch, you need the stores to be filled with consoles.

#3 11 months ago
  4. dkpunk

blah blah artificial demand.

#4 11 months ago
  5. wildBoar

@4 if stores don’t get sold out, then yes, but I figure a lot of them will.. They’ve already let 1M pre-orders through the gate though so there’s clearly demand, even if they’ve really got like 10M produced. But hey, name of the game.

#5 11 months ago
  6. shaun473

Sony has to remember, that not all countries have their PS4 retailers, this is why we may still need preorders. I’ve had hard time finding a store that ships in South Africa and preordered mine from preorderheaven.com

#6 10 months ago