PS4: indie titles will fill gaps between huge releases, says Yoshida

Thursday, 12th September 2013 09:00 GMT By Dave Cook

PlayStation 4 has already secured a strong base of indie talent, and with it, a consistent flood of content will persist beyond the console’s launch. Sony’s Shuhei Yoshida and Mark Cerny have discussed the PS4′s ease of development and flow of content in a new Famitsu interview.

In the Famitsu piece, PS4 lead system architect Mark Cerny said that one of Sony’s key goals is ease of development, and the way studios can build their games on computers first, before transferring them over to the console.

He added, “We asked assorted creators what kind of functionality we should put in, and we used their responses as a base when we finalized the hardware architecture. We’re aiming for not just performance, but also an environment setup that allows for smooth PS4 game development.”

This will certainly help indies tackle the console’s framework and let their creations sing on PS4 without too much hassle. Cerny continued, “”Small-scale projects don’t even take a month [to reach that point], and even big titles can get rolling in two or three months. As a result, I think we’ve built one of the neatest launch lineups in game history.

“With our PS3 experience, we understand the factors needed for powerful, effective development, so that’s why we treated our twin goals of performance and ease of development so seriously. Thanks to that, I think we were able to reduce development time on Knack by around a year.”

When asked if PS4 could face a strong launch line-up, then a subsequent drought of releases post-launch, as with PS3 and PS2, president of SCE Worldwide Studios Shuhei Yoshida explained, “That’s why we’re trying to give our help out to indie titles. Huge titles from large makers take time to develop; they can’t just be brought out immediately. However, with the indie scene, especially in the West, we’re seeing really neat games coming out from there pretty much every week.

“I’d like to get that indie flow going in the Japan market as well, with unique titles coming out one after the other. More and more users are making digital purchases these days, so even studios making games with small teams can make it into a business.”

In closing, Cerny added, “The PS4 is really easy to build games on. I think we’ll see a variety of products coming out from lots of creators. I’m confident that the system will allow many creators to get involved.”

Are you happy to see a strong influx of indie games on PS4, or are you not interested? Let us know below.

Via Polygon.

1. mistermogul

The more games the merrier imo!

#1 11 months ago
  2. AngryConsumer

Mark Cerny is awesome, that guy knows his stuff. with psvitatv coming we are gonna see many good indie games coming.

#2 11 months ago
  3. Ekona

Couldn’t care less about indie games, if I’m honest. I want huge, involving experiences, not quick pick-me-up games that are better suited to portable devices.

Whilst I know there’s a lot of love for indie stuff on here, I’ve yet to play anything that didn’t leave me cold.

#3 11 months ago
  4. KAP

Shame. I feel sorry for ya bud.

#4 11 months ago
  5. Lv01

@3 even with games such as journey? or something like thomas was alone? or the cave?? or limbo..?!
    each to their own, of course, and thats cool, but those are some seriously quality games that are just a small portion of a long list of quality games!

#5 11 months ago
  6. DrDamn

They can also fill the PS+ instant game collection gap for a while too. Overall the strategy of supporting ease of development and performance too is a good one. There are some good examples of the former from developer comments too which is a huge step forward from PS3.

#6 11 months ago
  7. Bomba Luigi

Was Journey and Indie? I thought Sony was involved in that as Publisher or did they just for fun only bring it to the PS3?

I’m not really sure, its sometimes hard to tell. But anyway, its not that Important as long as a GAme is great. But its hard to Imagine the most Indies I played would work on a Phone. Would be a Pain in the Ass for something like Rogue Legacy or Cube World playing it with just TS-Control.

#7 11 months ago
  8. Belmont

good for the drought of games throughout summer.

#8 11 months ago
  9. noamlol2

the indie station 4

yoshida i want GAMES
    indie crap is nowhere near a AAA title

#9 11 months ago
  10. Lv01

@7 id say that thatgamecompany are an indie development studio… just happened to sign a publishing deal with sony for 3 games. journey i believe is still classed mainly as an indie, especially when relating its ‘status’ against all the awards it won.
    regardless, its a great game, and you’re right, thats all that really matters!!

#10 11 months ago
  11. rama26285

People need to remember that they aren’t saying they’re going to bring out indies INSTEAD of full AAA games, these are ON TOP of them. How can that ever be a bad thing? More games, more variety and more often :)

#11 11 months ago
  12. Lahanas

I cant stand this whole indie hysteria. Give us new huge AAA games, real next gen games to play. Microsoft is clearly focused on AAA and thats why the Xbox One has a much better lineup than PS4.

#12 11 months ago
  13. Ekona

@5 Yup, they did nothing for me at all. Same reason I don’t watch indie short films either, but will happily queue up for the summer blockbusters. I like the big budget, big experiences.

#13 11 months ago
  14. Lv01

@11 +1

#14 11 months ago
  15. Lv01

@13 well then i share the sentiments of #4. tis a shame…
    but as i also said, each to their own. i also love blockbuster big budget experiences, and theres nothing wrong with that!

#15 11 months ago
  16. DrDamn

If the industry as a whole focuses on new huge AAA then it will be catastrophic. AAA needs Indie/smaller titles as that is where the risks will be taken and then filter through.

As to who has the better line up – that’s down to preference. I don’t think there is any major difference in numbers of big titles though – given there are more than a few major Sony studios working on unannounced titles. (Naughty Dog and Santa Monica for example).

#16 11 months ago
  17. Clupula

Honestly, with how much fun I had with games like Hotline Miami on PS3, I think this is a solid strategy. I just wish they all didn’t have SNES graphics.

#17 11 months ago
  18. DrDamn

Yep. There is a fine line between looking Retro and looking shit :). Sometimes retro is used as an excuse to not put the effort/time into the visuals.

#18 11 months ago
  19. mistermogul

@3 – Try SteamWorld Dig on 3DS or Guacamelee on PS3/Vita…

#19 11 months ago