Sony announces lighter Vita model with a LCD screen and longer battery life

Monday, 9th September 2013 07:16 GMT By Ewan Miller

Sony’s announced a new Vita iteration, the PS Vita 2000, which will be 20% thinner and 15% lighter than the existing model. In addition, this new Vita replaces the original’s OLED screen with a LCD one and thus Sony say the battery should last one extra hour. Additionally the unit will now come with a built 1GB memory card for saves and charges off a Micro USB port.

Sony have also revealed that memory cards for the PS Vita will be dropping in price by about 40% on the 10th of September in Japan. They will also introduce a 64GB memory card on that same day.

The new Vita 2000 is set to launch in about a month on October 10 and will cost 18980 yen or about 190 USD. There doesn’t appear to be a 3G model. The new model comes bundled with a 90 day subscription to Playstation Plus.

1. Dragon246

“unit will not come with a built 1GB memory card”
    now, not not :P

Makes sense, they ADDED INTERNAL MEMORY. So people who had problems with memory card prices can buy it without that worry.
    I am looking forward to screen, how it tallies up with the brilliant OLED screen.
    If its unfavourable, I hope 1000 model isn’t discontinued.

However, I think they should have made a cheaper version.

#1 11 months ago
  2. diego-rbb-93

Oled to LCD is a knife in the back… Thats not fair…

#2 11 months ago
  3. Ewan Miller

@Dragon246 You’re a lifesaver. I didn’t realise I was going to cover this conference so I’m kind of at ends.

#3 11 months ago
  4. EdNorton

Announcement video here, Ewan: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TkOdFbj1Eo

#4 11 months ago
  5. Dragon246

@Evan
    You are welcome :D

Btw, 2000 model also comes with 90 days free ps plus subscription. You may want to add that.

#5 11 months ago
  6. monkeygourmet

Nintendo removes 3D, Sony removes OLED (which is arguably Vita’s best feature).

It’s a strange one, but I could never see the Vita as anything but a ‘high end’ device, it’s tech doesn’t really suit a budget model IMO.

How much cheaper is this version in EU btw? Is there a huge difference? Also 1gb on board?! Most demos are 1gb, but at least they have dropped the price of memory. With PS Plus included, that 1gb is almost irrelevant.

I’ll gladly pick up a 64gb card if its not extortionate.

#6 11 months ago
  7. Belmont

I don’t think they want to discontinue the OLED original. This redesign will help the platform as a whole, get into more hands and then you have more games and content and other publishers will come. Costs have to be cut somewhere though. But OLED is awesome. The original should stay in production !

#7 11 months ago
  8. Dragon246

@7,
    Original OLED rocks!
    Still, I think we should reserve judgement before reviews come out.

#8 11 months ago
  9. DrDamn

I think the 1GB is purely from a game save point, which was an issue with the current model. You *had* to buy a card. Same here for 64GB card.

#9 11 months ago
  10. Telepathic.Geometry

Betrayal!!! February you say!? I was dead on about the price.

This plays into my hands nicely mind you, as i have no plan to buy straight away. Still though, it feels weird that Japan gets it last, Sony’s home country and everything…

#10 11 months ago
  11. Erthazus

Cool stuff without games and with cheap ports.

L O L

#11 11 months ago
  12. polygem

i think they should’ve made a bigger one! the original is way too slim/small already.

it looks sleek but a bit too hipster for my taste. loving some of those colors though.
    awful trailer music in sony ads recently.
    who’s their target audience actually?
    obviously not me.

well, interesting product. might help. maybe not. we’ll see.

all i can say personally is that they’ve lost touch with me.
    their products and games just don’t excite me much recently.

#12 11 months ago
  13. aseddon130

the size of the thing is just right anyway, i think this is aimed at the Japanese market just to get a cheaper console out there. The colour choices are rather horrible too, the black and the white ones look ok, but yellow and very light blue?? ugh.

#13 11 months ago
  14. mistermogul

Ah FFS, my week old Vita is obsolete already…

#14 11 months ago
  15. Dragon246

PSVita TV announced. Megaton.

#15 11 months ago
  16. CyberMarco

Konnichiwa! :P

I wasn’t expecting a redesign so soon. It’s a bit of a bummer to replace the OLED screen with an LCD one and 1GB internal storage is really poor, should have had at least 4GB.

Anyhow, I’ll wait for reviews and then I’ll decide what to buy. Those colors are really interesting and the 64GB memory is a good addition.

#16 11 months ago
  17. dizzygear

Good they got rid of the shitty proprietary connector. But its a real shame that they ditched the OLED screen. I hope they keep the fat Vita around a premium model should my unit die one day.

#17 11 months ago
  18. Dragon246

@CM,
    I think it was very late.
    Remember, 3DS has had 2 major hardware revisions (xl and 2ds) in the same time frame.

But I am more excited with psvtv. That device is the PSTV that was rumored methinks. Its a potential MEGATON.
    I mean, for 100 bucks, entire psp and most vita games+ other tv stuff. Very good deal. Plus it will popularize vita name.
    It all now depends on how its marketed.

#18 11 months ago
  19. CyberMarco

@Dragon
    They should have included an HDMI-out in the new PS Vita 2000. Sometimes I have a feeling that some companies are under-delivering on purpose… :/

#19 11 months ago
  20. fengato

Depending on the quality of the LCD, this could be good. My original Vita never seemed to pack enough brightness. Looking forward to a hands on.

#20 11 months ago
  21. CycloneFox

@20: That is strange. Is there something not right about you Vita? Most (O)LEDs are brighter than LCDs and my Vita is the brightest mobile device, I’ve ever seen. I only have problems at midday sunlight in summer, with it. And that’s pretty rare.

@Topic: I hope this and the VitaTV will help selling enough Vita games to appeal more developers to make Vita games.

#21 11 months ago
  22. fengato

^ Not that I’m aware of. It’s a launch day model.

#22 11 months ago
  23. NeoSquall

This holiday season I’ll be on the fence for when the big retailers will put on sale the “old” Wi-Fi PSVita for 90 Euros and stalk it right away!
    Actually, I did something like that with the PSP 3004 in 2011, got it for 99 Euros when its RRP was 169, then the next month they announced the shitty PSP Street :D

#23 11 months ago
  24. AngryConsumer

it looks like they gave this guy some crack….

#24 11 months ago