Killer Instinct: 60FPS a “pillar of the project”

Tuesday, 3rd September 2013 05:39 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Double Helix Games has confirmed that Xbox One exclusive Killer Instinct will run at 60 FPS.

In a chat with GamingBolt, lead producer Michael Willette and design director David Verfaillie said the fighter runs at a resolution of 720p, which is perhaps not as high as some next-gen hopefuls expected, but that the develoepr is committed to locking it at 60 frames per second.

“Technically we are running at 720p and 60 FPS. 60 FPS is another pillar of the project,” the pair said.

“Anything added to the game that doesn’t allow us to run at 60 is removed or optimized. Nothing would be more frustrating than need pixel perfect accuracy at anything below 60. It would feel sluggish and unresponsive.”

Killer Instinct is free-to-play, with various options available for buying additional characters beyond the one included in the core download. It will launch alongside the Xbox One.

Thanks, Dragon246.

1. dsr

So, the Infinite Power of The Cloud is not as almighty as they said?

#1 8 months ago
  2. G1GAHURTZ

Hmm…

Disappointing that it’s not 1080p.

Still, it’s free if you’re happy only using 2 characters, so I’m not complaining.

#2 8 months ago
  3. BrahManDude

still no 1080p that’s ridiculous

#3 8 months ago
  4. lubu

so there is only one next-gen title that is 1080p 60fps and it is forza 5, how dissapointing only one game on two platforms and it’s a racing game not that hardware demanding as other genres

#4 8 months ago
  5. SuperGamerDude

Well all one on one beat ‘em ups are 60fps anyway so what’s the big deal?

#5 8 months ago
  6. Aullah

@5 Umm… the problem is not the 60fps. Its the 720p.

#6 8 months ago
  7. Telepathic.Geometry

Yeah, we all knew that the nebulous (pun intended) cloud propaganda was just that. I think that there’s nothing wrong with having it at 720p and 60 FPS, it’ll be a fun game IMO. It does raise the question though, is it really technically impossible to do at 1080p? I don’t see that much of a difference between what this game is doing and what SF IV did.

Is the jump to next gen really going to be that insignificant?

#7 8 months ago
  8. G1GAHURTZ

@5:

I don’t want to spend over £400 on a console to play games in 720p.

#8 8 months ago
  9. Doppleganger

Im disappointed as well.
    Keep in mind these are release titles and everything is just gonna get better every year that follows.
    Guess couldn’t expect much from this developer. Personally I thought the graphics looked amazing when I got to play the game at the FanEXPO.

#9 8 months ago
  10. The_Red

I think it’s actually great that devs are choosing 60fps over 1080p. Now don’t get me wrong, 1080p at 60fps is a must but IF they HAVE TO choose only one of them, smooth frame-rate always trumps the better pixel count.

#10 8 months ago
  11. lubu

i’m not saying it is a bad game or anything, actually i’m loving it and if i want to buy X1 i defently buy KI, but i heard it is a 1080p game runs 60fps and now i see it’s not, i dissapointed by the power of the next-gen not killer instinct, hell even i prefer 720p60fps over 1080p30fps but i wanted 1080p60fps on next-gen.

#11 8 months ago
  12. Telepathic.Geometry

@10: For racers and fighting games, I think that’s the right call, but for most other games, the resolution will probably be more important than the refresh rate.

I personally feel that it’s disappointing that they didn’t make it 1080p, 60FPS and choose an art style to make that possible. I don’t wanna sound like a whiney bastard, but I really do wonder what the next generation is gonna bring us?

I was hoping that it’d be 1080p 30/60FPS (as appropriate) as standard, with no load times, and new ideas. But I think we’re looking at another gen of 720p with a few extra particle effects. It’s a little disappointing…

#12 8 months ago
  13. DrDamn

Yeah this. The genre traditionally demands 60fps and that’s good. The nature of the genre (limited areas, reasonably fixed view etc.) normally results in some of the best looking games as a result too (Soul Calibur for example). Technically there is nothing stopping them going for 1080p beyond the chosen art style and graphical niceties. They should have cut those back and gone for a cleaner, less flashy look in my opinion. That said I think this is a fairly small team and a launch title, so they may not have the time and resource for this sort of optimisation.

#13 8 months ago
  14. monkeygourmet

I very put off with the fact that next gen isn’t easily breaking 1080p & 60FPS out of the box…

I know people say dev’s can choose more effects or whatever, but as G1GA said, these machines are £300 +, 1080p & 60FPS should have been the benchmark.

What next, loads of effects and sub 720p again?

#14 8 months ago
  15. Gheritt White

It’s the beginning of the gen, people! 1080p @ 60FPS *will* come, but it might just take 12 – 18 months to get there!

Sheesh… remember the difference between PS3 and X360 launch titles and the titles released around Xmas ’07 (one of the best seasons gaming has EVER seen)? Well, *that*, basically.

#15 8 months ago
  16. Major Mayhem 70

I just hope the game plays well. It’s not like the game looks atrocious.

#16 8 months ago
  17. Spredo

I remember back in the day when killer instinct 1st came out on a home console and was well panned as the worst game ever made don’t get me wrong it was great in the arcades back in the day. Now here we are present day and here is killer instinct back running at 60fps cool but only at 720p? Really for a next gen title I expected more it does question the Xbox and what it can do. I mean it’s a fighting game and Yea you have a lot going on on screen but it’s still a 2d back ground of sorts so it’s either bad programing or we got problems with this next gen console this should easy thro out 1080p60fps to show case this new next gen console as it is I ain’t sold.

#17 8 months ago
  18. pcbros

I don’t see why people are complaining. When the Xbox 360 and PS3 launched, they at times struggled to reach 30fps. Launch games never show a system’s true power.

I think this game looks fantastic. Vivid animations, lots of effects, detailed characters and gorgeous backdrops.

Remember, any game can reach 60fps (in this generation)… some games can reach 60fps @ 720p… a few games can reach 60fps @ 720 with incredible detail.

I played this at E3 (twice actually) and it was one of the games I couldn’t wait to play again. If you enjoy fighting games, you have to atleast TRY it! :D

My only complaint is that it’s not coming to PC. Killer Instinct and Forza 5 are the only games I really want this year for XB1…

#18 8 months ago