Dragon Age: Inquisition has playable Qunari, tactical view

Monday, 2nd September 2013 00:14 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Dragon Age: Inquisition is on show at PAX Prime this weekend, with BioWare revealing a fourth playable race and other interesting snippets during a panel and preview sessions, as well as gameplay footage and new screenshots.

Gamespot reports both male and female Qunari will be available when the player creates their Inquisitor.

The other major reveal from recent press showings is that Inquisition will feature a tactical view on all platforms, allowing players to pause the action and view battle from a top-down perspective. This mode was available in Dragon Age: Origins, but was missing from Dragon Age 2.

Cassandra and Varric from Dragon Age 2 have been confirmed as party members.

Eurogamer got some early footage of the RPG in action which you can check out below, along with some screens. Dragon Age: Inquisition is coming to PC, PlayStation 3, PS4, Xbox 360 and Xbox One in 2014. It will have dragons, and you’ll be able to craft a custom backstory since you may not be able to import saves due to platform changes, although imports are still on the cards.

1. Biscuitpants

looks weird as fuck

#1 1 year ago
  2. Rafa_L

Great news!

I’m starting to believe I’ll give this franchise another chance =)

#2 1 year ago
  3. wildBoar

I know it’s the name of the game, grabbing posts from other sites, but seeing that Eurogamer logo on VG still made me wonder for a second there. Hopefully you’ll just drive up their hits though.

And nice to see some weighty combat in rpgs finally, this still looks soo campy in comparison to the Witcher though.. I’ll propably want to replay W3 more than picking this up when it drops.

#3 1 year ago
  4. infernalism

Yeah, I’m going to wait a long time and read a LOT of reviews before I pick this up, if ever. I’ll never forget two things.

1. EA owns BioWare.
    2. Dragon Age 2.

Always be careful with Bioware.

The Witcher 3? Pre-order.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Phoenixblight

This looks fantastic and it looks like they are really trying to take the good parts of each game and bring it into this game along with its own perks like using Frostbite 3, destructible environments, more open areas, etc. I can’t wait to play this.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Dark

@5 1+

#6 1 year ago
  7. Erthazus

Yeah… Frostbite 3. More like “I dunno wat to do wiz zis engine” another studio.
    So far EA tells me to preorder Witcher 3 and that’s good.

and yeah, shitty battle system is still here but now with tactical view. Woohoo… you can do a barrel roll with heavy armor. Don’t forget that big-huge two-handed sword goes through shield. Impressive collision there.

and what’s the point of big locations (open-world like locations) if most of them are empty and lifeless like in this trailer?

do a barrel roll with that weaboo heavy armor!

#7 1 year ago
  8. DSB

It’s been a good while since Bioware has shown anything halfway worthwhile.

This is pretty, for sure, but it just looks completely tame in terms of what’s actually happening. I’d rather do a second run of Darksiders 2.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Erthazus

This is Dragon Age II.5

btw. wheel dialog is going to return…

#9 1 year ago
  10. Dark

Nah this is Dragon’s Dogma 2.

#10 1 year ago
  11. Phoenixblight

There is really nothing to gauge of the game yet as it is still deep in alpha. It has more than a year to go. So considering this is in Alpha this is pretty damn impressive.

#11 1 year ago
  12. sebastien rivas

This is still too early to state this is DA2 all over again but it surely sounds like Bioware “may” listen too much to EA.
    This combat style of ease in/out, click a button the character slows 1/4 second then bam in your face and also smash down an enemy with a High shield/tower shield down to china inspires me that EA dropped in and said this game is not 8~12 years old enough, give me some ouplahey and massive visual strength, the player should feel stttrrrrrooooooonnnnnggggg arghhh!

Though it is still very early, it sounds like Bioware does NOT like me anymore. I wait, see, and pray they will wake up with reasons and better judgements.

#12 1 year ago
  13. Mr Sparkle

FOR THE QUN!!!

#13 1 year ago
  14. G-Sama

graphics are really shit compared to my expectations … i’m sorry to say this looks waay current gen ..
    i’m not saying that because i’m a graphic whore (though i might be :D ) , but because i really want to see an rpg where graphics truly shine..
    oh .. right , forgot the witcher 2 ..
    well , gameplay is fine but i did expect a little bit better mechanics
    still .. i loved origins , liked DA2 , let’s see if this will deliver or if it’s only a hit-and-miss

#14 1 year ago
  15. ddtd

The game is still a year out, so its a little unfair to pass judgement on a pre-alpha build.

Also, IGN reported that while the combat is paused you can give your party orders. It didnt specify if or if not you could cue up multiple commands, but sounds promising.

#15 1 year ago
  16. roadkill

HOLY FUCKING SHIT!! This is looking wicked! :D

#16 1 year ago
  17. Edo

@14 Sorry to inform you but you need to wear glasses…..”graphics are really shit” smh…

#17 1 year ago
  18. gulfy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IML4hhg8Yz0 There are three youtube vids from Pax prime. The Girl taking the Vid is a bit excited though. Each vid is listed under the first one.

Having wasted months in DA:O and only just started DA2 (for the back story to go with the new game) I have high hopes for this one.

It does remind me a lot of Reckoning the Game though, especially the Melee.

#18 1 year ago
  19. Paranormal Pett

I love the fact that they have brought isometric view back. Also with allowing the movement and set up of individual characters and where they should stand. Check out the 3rd video in Gulfy’s link and go to 4mins 25secs (even though you should watch them all.) I’m now really excited for this. For pre alpha, it is looking sick.

What does every one think of only allowing a certain amount of health potions per mission and heading back to your main keep? No regenerative health bar, it should add an interesting element to things. Wonder if you can use health spells though?! any one heard on that?

#19 1 year ago
  20. Froseidon

@14 – this is pre-alpha dude. All the way through PAX Prime, the words “pre-alpha build” were at the top right of the screen.

Also, for anyone interested, this YT channel has all 3 parts of the PAX demo (off-screen): http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvYvEPqiC4TjnftGq-HG6UA

Edit: Didn’t realise gulfy had put this here before, my bad!

#20 1 year ago
  21. Uncontested

Doesn’t look or feel like Dragon Age… Looks more like they’re trying to rip-off a bit of Skyrim and a bit of The Witcher.. Dragon wing helmet? I really hope that shits optional and not what you have to wear the whole game.. they also need to get away from the ‘pre-built’ outfits that DA2 had… I hated that crap.. I want to customize my guys with what I want them to wear… -sigh-

#21 1 year ago
  22. TheWulf

Interesting, and a step in the right direction.

Also, damn it, I knew I should have completed Dragon Age II. It also devolves into the same save the world nonsense. Goddammit BioWare. STOP THAT. The rest of the game is actually interesting.

I still feel rotten over how the most interesting thing to be done with a fantasy world is apparently saving it by swinging our penises egos swords around.

I’ve seen a lot of Inquisition, lately, and part of me wants it to be a good game. A good game which isn’t about saving the world, because I’m so blasé with that plot right now. It’s sad that an old PlayStation JRPG pointed out what was wrong with that, even. Yet here we are, and we might be doing it again. There are surely more interesting things to do in a fantasy world than exercise the most boring power fantasy of them all?

See, I look at Dragon Age, and I can’t help but wonder what the story is of the Darkspawn and the dragons. Maybe it’s completely different to what we’re told on the side we’re forced to play, maybe that’s all propaganda and they’re angry about some past transgressions, maybe they have good reason to be upset, maybe they fear for their own.

Who knows? I don’t. All I know is what I’m told about them by other people from a very one-dimensional perspective. And I don’t feel I have enough information to actually make any claims against them. I’d like to have a bit of a chat with one of those dragons to find out what’s really going on.

What could make this more interesting, at least, is if saving the world was seen as committing genocide from another perspective, and if the campaign could be played from multiple perspectives.

That’d be something.

I want Inquisition to be better, but it probably won’t be. It’s likely going to be the same, one-dimensional foes, over and over again. Mass Effect delighted me by taking away the one-dimensional nature of the Reapers. Through the Mass Effect games, I absolutely hated that the Reapers and the Collectors were basically Space Invaders. They were being dicks because mysterious reasons, and it was annoying.

I’m so, so sick of one-dimensional villains. I was tired of that in preschool.

Hell, even Saints Row IV has a better villain than the usual BioWare games. Good grief, SR IV even made you question who the true villain there was. That’s more than BioWare has ever done. Are they afraid gamers will have an ever-loving freak out if their villains aren’t one-dimensional?

#22 1 year ago
  23. TheWulf

Still, it’s a step in the right direction, I suppose.

I’ll have to wait to see where BioWare go with this. It’s weird to be filled with dread and cautious optimism.

#23 1 year ago
  24. gulfy

For me its a mash up of other games, but that is not always a bad thing, take the best of those and make yours better. So far I will be wasting another few months on this when it drops, most of 2015 lol.

Its the building your “empire” so to speak that is what is calling to me this time round, far more involved than DA:O with just an army to find.

DA2 at the mo is pretty dire, just playing it to get some back story for when this one drops. But the story seems ok ish and sets up the new game quite well.

I just wish I could have carried on with my Warden(s) :(

But so far its way more DA:O than DA2, you can fully equip your team members, tactical play.

It does draw on Reckoning very much though, area bubbles, with passage between area’s, defo the melee side, and skyrim for the art style.

I just hope they dont go the pre-order cobblers of previous and have loads of different gear split across different stores, hate that.

Straight up plain game and then release the packs as DLC, or even rewards for doing an area, so you clear an area, get to lvl 10 say and you get a reward pack of new items, as a gift from your “allies”.

That would work well I think, tie them into the story not just overload the character at the begining.

#24 1 year ago