Xbox One FIFA 14 pack-in shows pre-orders below expectations, Sony exec suggests

Thursday, 29th August 2013 01:30 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Comments from SCE Europe CEO Jim Ryan suggest Sony doesn’t need to answer Microsoft’s FIFA 14 Xbox One pre-order pack-in, and that the bonus game suggests the rival console’s pre-order campaign isn’t doing as well as the PlayStation 4′s.

Speaking with Metro, Ryan said Sony’s not considering striking a similar deal.

“Why should we do that? Our problem is gonna be matching supply to demand,” Ryan said, noting that Sony is “perfectly happy” with how PS4 pre-orders are progressing.

Microsoft’s action, on the other hand, suggests it’s not.

“It’s perfectly rational when a platform holder, or indeed a publisher, runs a pre-order campaign to engage in promotional behaviour to dial it up if you feel it’s not where you need it to be. That’s a rational thing for any businessman to do,” Ryan said.

“So why would we go out and add something? Giving away stuff on day one of a new platform launch, in my mind it’s kind of odd,” he added.

Sony has said it’s hoping to handle PS4 pre-orders responsibly to avoid any stock shortages, but Ryan said that if there is an issue, it will be “driven by demand being greater than we thought rather than inadequacy of supply”. Not that this will be a comfort if you can’t get your hands on one when the PS4 launches on November 15 in North America and November 29 elsewhere.

Thanks, GamesIndustry.

1. viralshag

Sony gives something for free and their gods.

Microsoft do it and it’s “odd”.

#1 8 months ago
  2. tCruzin

All Sony has been doing since E3 was throwing shots at MS, lame. This is no knock on the PS4 as a system but Sony really seems desperate this go around.

#2 8 months ago
  3. wally10975

@3 So one company builds up a reputation in one generation, rides that wave into the next-generation with an emphasis on owning the living room and not necessarily just gaming, and the other company made the same mistake the previous generation, and is looking to make up for it, and now they’re the bad guy? makes no sense. Microsoft has done a brilliant job turning around the image of the xbox one, but it’s because of Sony and their pro-gamer image this time around, not the fans.

#3 8 months ago
  4. pcbros

“So why would we go out and add something? Giving away stuff on day one of a new platform launch, in my mind it’s kind of odd”

Odd?… This doesn’t make sense. Consoles have had pack-in games for decades. I think all consoles should have a pack-in game.

What I do find odd is the pack-in being a 3rd-party game. Microsoft should include one of their games, like Forza 5

#4 8 months ago
  5. loci

@1 Not odd. Jim is just being polite. He means desperate and panicky.

#5 8 months ago
  6. Kloudrunner

Utter twoddle speak says I.

#6 8 months ago
  7. TMRNetShark

Wait wait, since when does Microsoft ever give anything away for free? Aren’t they to be blamed for this scourge called “DLC”? Don’t believe me? Look up the original DLC content… (cough Halo 2 cough)

#7 8 months ago
  8. pcbros

I think if Sony had the chance to strike a deal where a game would be included with their system… they would do it. It can’t possibly hurt to have a game bundled :P

#8 8 months ago
  9. Kreion

You can’t blame DLC as a whole on MS – it was just the way the market moved. If people didn’t want it then it would’t have proliferated, learn2 capitalism.

But this shows yet more childish antics from Sony which makes me wonder all the more why people trust them. Their entire advertising campaign was nothing but riding gamers (somewhat justified – not completely) aggresion against MS. Perhaps they could actually show us some interesting features about the PS4…It would be nice -.-

#9 8 months ago
  10. wildBoar

Surprised he didn’t point out how many F2P games there are on day one.. And then there’s PS+ games like Driveclub. Does MS still have F2P behind a paywall or have they removed that? Would’ve been a way stronger statement on the topic, then again noting that it’s “odd” is quite cocky.

#10 8 months ago
  11. Arcnail

Disclaimer: I’m getting both.

Hey Sony.. you won E3, we got it. But MS has changed up their policies and now you should focus back on the games and not what you are doing now.

CLEARLY they added Fifa to pre orders in the UK cause they were lagging.. but to keep taking shots thinking it’ll have the same effect as E3 is stupid, and it’s actually starting to make you sound a bit petty.

@38 seconds….

Ugg..

#11 8 months ago
  12. pcbros

“Genesis does… you can’t do this on Nintendo… Genesis does, Genesis does, Genesis does… what NintenDON’T”.

Sega really liked to stick it to Nintendo in the 90′s, while Nintendo played nice. Brings back memories.

#12 8 months ago
  13. Arcnail

That’s deadly pcbros.. been a long long time since I’ve heard that!

#13 8 months ago
  14. Arcnail

#14 8 months ago
  15. pcbros

@14 – LOL! I was pretty accurate in the phrasing…

I miss that era :) Competition brings out the best in people. And no doubt Nintendo vs Sega was epic.

What I don’t like about Sony vs Microsoft is that 75% of the games are out for both consoles. So you are really talking about just a handful of exclusives to consider when choosing a system.

#15 8 months ago
  16. Beersup

@2 Agree.
    Makes you wonder why Sony and their fanboys are so obsessed with MS and the X1. If their console is so great and in such a great position, why even bring attention to your competitor? Why do they act like they still need to prove anything? Heros don’t brag.

My opinion(which is all it is) is that the PS4 is not innovative, has nothing special to claim its own, still will have p2p hosting, and lacks on its exclusives. Yeah a lil more powerful but not enough to make it on another level than the X1.

Truthfully, I don’t care who sells more consoles. The X1 ain’t going anywhere. I hope all the little kids parents buy them a PS4 since its cheaper. I see way more trolls and dicks for PS4. They can have it. They can have each other.

#16 8 months ago
  17. DSB

If I was an Xbox fanboy I’d be excited to see Sony transition from charming rogues to arrogant pricks. That’s the same attitude that lost them the last generation.

#17 8 months ago
  18. MCTJim

I remember the Genesis had a pack in game at launch called Altered Beast. Nintendo had excitabike and I think coleco had Donkey Kong….Atari has that 100+ tank game with the Tetris shapes on the field as bunkers…I dont remember intellivision’s pack in..edit and Sega Saturn had virtua fighter

I have said it before and i will say it again…I expect people in high ranking positions in a company to be mindful..be it Sony or MS. I dont like when they resort to sucker punching. MS deserved what they got at E3..not because it was not innovative but more so because their PR sucked..and sucked bad…and failed to explain properly….personally, I liked what they originally had in store minus the 24 hr check…..but when they announced they would be packing in FiFa for all EU customers…that was a nice addition to the system and people still complained..I mean really? Top notch free game and the whiners all came out of the woodwork..I just dont get it.

What matters most in the end once the systems launch is going to be games games games..that is what I want to do is play games and if there are extras in for free..then I am good with that too.

When Pax is finally upon us and MS announces..say..Madden 25 as a pack in..are certain people going to complain? Yup and the sucker punches will be flowing once again.

Its called wheeling and dealing..its business and the idea is to get an advantage over your closest competitor.

Again MS have not been angels either as they have done it too..I just dont like the sucker punches. It all just seems so damn childish to do it. M

#18 8 months ago
  19. sebastien rivas

@ 15

Well believe it or not but it goes both ways. I read unfounded comments with no backbone (back up to apply a point) about sony in MS threads and same goes about MS in Sony threads.
    Where it gets complicated is that it is often a light point with no real substance that just envenimate perception then a plethora of the same sort ensue.

If you are wondering, I really don’t care for a box and don’t understand how one can be a groupil of a piece of plastic for either and any name out there. Pepsi or Cola, I drink both… What is important is what each deliver, and that is that.

Was not Nintendo SNES and Sega 8 bits shipping with a title for free back in the 80′s and actually all console manufacturers started to drop this ideal early in the 90′s? Am I wrong??

#19 8 months ago
  20. pcbros

EVERYONE loves a free game. Only ODD people prefer not to get a free game. Checkmate!

#20 8 months ago
  21. Francis O

Its freaking $500, of course people aren’t going to run out and pre-order it. Nor are people going to run out and purchase a $500 system with a lot of games that can be played on the much cheaper Xbox 360 and PS3.

I don’t know why people think the Xbox One is going to be this huge hit across the globe priced that high.

#21 8 months ago
  22. sebastien rivas

I feel the same way but only for myself.
    To be honest since they dropped DRM 24/check then I would like one but 500.00, I just can’t do it.
    400$ is already a big sum for me…

#22 8 months ago
  23. pcbros

I personally plan to buy a Wii U (Wind Waker bundle) and let the XB1/PS4 war settle a bit. I don’t think I can be a Day One buyer… too risky.

#23 8 months ago
  24. MCTJim

@21 when it comes to Holidays..100 bucks wont make a damn bit of difference really..People are going to buy what they want to buy and price really wont matter….for example the new iteration of the iPhone each year..people run out to spend 500 bucks on that without blinking an eye.

i get the $500 price point and it didnt matter to me, i like what I saw at E3 in the games….I got a PS4 for 400 bucks..it didnt matter because I wanted it. That is how this season will dole out..

#24 8 months ago
  25. fihar

He was just answering a question, it’s not like he goes around claiming that the X1′s preorder number aren’t good enough.

Try to read the original interview before claiming that the guy’s an arrogant prick.
    Blame the interviewer if you want for cleary fishing for a snarky response, if you had read the original interview he responded with a monosyllabic response initially before taking the bait.

It’s a good interview though, read it.

#25 8 months ago
  26. ddtd

“Giving away stuff on day one of a new platform launch, in my mind it’s kind of odd.”

If I were in charge of marketing for MS, I’d take that line and run rampant all over it.

#26 8 months ago
  27. Djoenz

It is odd business wise. Too bad for ps4 preorders no free game for yall. .

#27 8 months ago
  28. Joe Musashi

Serious own-goal statement. Has the stench of Sony of 2006 all over it.

JM

#28 8 months ago
  29. Djoenz

Microsoft delayed launch in 8 countries thus they give Fifa14 for free for all pre orders and thats cool but that doesnt mean Sony has to do the same. Thats all he is trying to say. Assumptions yeah maybe.

#29 8 months ago
  30. TF_PtMaster

I see lot of people talking without knowing. Read the damn interview. Talking out of context is so lame. He said nothing wrong.

I understand is easy bashing around. This discussion is so stupid.

#30 8 months ago
  31. pukem0n

welcome to the world of console wars where kiddies in front of a computer troll around and propably jerk off at the same time ^^

#31 8 months ago
  32. viralshag

@30, How is it being taken out of context? What’s “odd” about offering a free game?

Anyone who actually sells anything will always try to offer a better deal than the other person to make a sale. There’s really nothing odd or strange about it.

They’re in direct competition with each other, regardless of pre-orders and who has more, if one company is willing to up the ante with a free game as well as the console, it’s probably easier to sell.

“What do I get if I buy the PS4?”
    “Well for £350, you get the console.”

“What do I get if I buy the XB1?”
    “Well for £430, you get the console, the Kinect and a copy of FIFA14.”

The higher price really isn’t going to matter much anyway because I guarantee almost all retailers will create PS4 bundles to match the XB1 which includes FIFA and the PS4 camera/DS pad. And that’s what people will go for to get the “best deal”.

#32 8 months ago
  33. CycloneFox

@3: Microsoft did no brilliant job with this 180 at all. They tried out, how much they can force on the gamers and after getting such a broadside back from the gamers, they just paddeled back and at the same time dragged down their own marketing campaign, by claiming “this would have been the future for gaming…”. If they really believed in that vision, they should never have turned back, but should instead make a console that differs from the PS4.
    Anyway, yes of course they are the bad guys. And gamers should not, on top of that, support this kind of strategy where a company tries out how much of a burden they can be on their clients and paddle back to always be on the safe side.

@topic: Sony, on the other side did alot of sidekicks, which is funny to watch and they always stay (in contrast to Sega back in the ’90s) accurate in what they are saying. Sometimes the reference to Microsoft is pretty damn clear, which they deserve (because, [see the upper paragraph]). The upper statements seem quite snobbish of course. But I think as Sony has a strong standing right now.

#33 8 months ago
  34. Francis O

Most iPhones can be obtained for cheap with two year agreements.

And no, price makes a big difference, it doesn’t matter if its the holidays or not. Right now, The PS4 and Wii U are considerably cheaper than the Xbox One.

That’s going to hurt sales no matter which way you cut it.

#34 8 months ago
  35. TF_PtMaster

@32 I dont know if you work at retail. I do.

And i share is opinion is odd, because you don’t buy a console with a “free” game especially a third party launch game. You can get a discount in the bundle. For example. PS4 + Shadow Fall for £390. Not the full price discount. This is how retail works. No one gives you anything for free.

The thing you don’t want to know, is, PS4 is giving free games at launch not A free game. In all stores people are suppose to know all that.

Yet i agree with you, people do choose the better deal, and where i work no ONE cares/asks about Xbox One. I think people aren’t aware of its launch. And i almost forgot… because is not the better deal. No one cares about Kinect. PS4 plus a game of choice, and a PS Plus Subscription is still the better deal, at least for the large majority of the people willing to buy. ( in my store case 100% of the clients, because we have no preorder for Xbox One vs a lot PS4) It matters to say my country is not in the very few in MS launching list. Still clients don’t show any interest in the Xbox One.

This in retail environment, of course in forums and sites like VG247 are full of people talking and bashing without knowing. And i understand is easier be funny and trolling around.

#35 8 months ago
  36. tezzer1985

Read the interview before you comment, he was pressed question after question about MS, and their 180

I think he answered the question honestly, and not to be rude

#36 8 months ago
  37. TF_PtMaster

@36 People here just read the headlines and the comments section

#37 8 months ago
  38. viralshag

@35, When I say match the bundles I don’t mean for a PS4 for £350 plus a free game, that’s just silly.

What I mean is most retailers are going to offer a price equivalent bundle which will probably run in close to the same price as the XB1.

PS4/pad/game = £430-440.

If your store isn’t doing that I would be surprised. Every store is going to play on the XB1 price to upsell more games and accessories for the PS4, they would be stupid not too.

#38 8 months ago
  39. bobnice

Im no fanboy of any console, im getting both because im a fanboy of gaming. But these sarcastic comments by sony are getting old and tacky. I dont see MS saying shit about sony, but sony keeps trying to take cheap shot after cheap shot. No one likes a bully and no one likes a bragger. STFU, the fact that xbox one buyers in the UK get a free $60 game bundled with the system means they wont have to shell out $60 for their most loved game is a great thing for gamers…its not “odd.” Every xbox ive bought, and my friends bought have come with bundled games. Even my launch 360 came with perfect dark zero. A free game thats worth $60 is not odd.

#39 8 months ago