PS4 will automatically download remote PSN purchases

Thursday, 29th August 2013 00:40 GMT By Brenna Hillier

PlayStation Network purchases made on a smartphone will be automatically downloaded by a sleeping PS4, which will go back into power-save mode once finished.

The feature was announced by SCE Worldwide Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida on Twitter.

“When you buy a PS4 game on smartphone, it will wake your PS4 up to start downloading the game. PS4 goes back to sleep after that,” the executive said.

Both PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 have allowed remote purchase of network content via webportals, accessible by mobile browser, but neither have allowed for immediate download and return to a hibernating state.

The Xbox One is not yet confirmed to have a similar feature.

Thanks, GameInformer.

1. RocknRolla

This is amazing news! The time I will save on all downloads and installations I freaking love this feature!!!!! :D
    Thanks Brenna :)

#1 1 year ago
  2. Arcnail

Cool little feature I guess.

#2 1 year ago
  3. actuallyisnotafox

yeah its great for when your away and you dont wanna wait to download when you get home ^-^

#3 1 year ago
  4. bobnice

I thought we could play as we download anyway. But guess its cool.

#4 1 year ago
  5. viralshag

Yeah really great feature… You realise your PS4 will have to be “always online” for it to work though right? ;)

#5 1 year ago
  6. Phoenixblight

Do this with Steam. PC is always on. :P

#6 1 year ago
  7. melonbuster1

Lol always online hmmm.. it will turn its self on and then what.. watch listen and record! I just don’t trust this ps4.. talking with your phone. . Nsa people!!! Sony is the false profit !!

#7 1 year ago
  8. VladtoBrazil

FUCK YEA…DOWNLOAD MY GAMES WHILE IM OUT FUCKING SHIT UP…..COME BACK HOME TO A BRAND NEW GAME……TAKE THAT MICROSHIT

#8 1 year ago
  9. pcbros

Nice feature :) Nintendo and Microsoft should have this feature too.

#9 1 year ago
  10. sebastien rivas

I would be ready to accept this feature only if I know how this feature works exactly?
    I see a cool game for PS4 on my android phone, I purchase the game from my android phone … what type of info does it require so the purchase knows my console at home?
    Just a login+ password to psn while purchasing?

#10 1 year ago
  11. MCTJim

@10 I would guess that it would be an app for the store and if you purchase there, it would download to the console….

#11 1 year ago
  12. Major Mayhem 70

But downloading games is a form of DRM. We don’t like DRM now do we???

#12 1 year ago
  13. pcbros

@12 – Lol… good one.

I personally believe downloadable games are the future. But developers/publishers are not doing such a good job of enticing people to join the Dark.. I mean the DRM side.

Nintendo does have Wind Waker HD coming out Sept 20 digitally and Oct 4 boxed. So that’s a start. But I think ultimately, money talks… so if digital versions can be $10 cheaper, then we would get somewhere.

#13 1 year ago
  14. wally10975

What it comes down to folks, is digital is cheaper. no physical copy means no disc, no shipping fees, no retailer markup, immediate access, anytime. physical copies are making us pay MORE for games!

#14 1 year ago
  15. Henry

Isn’t this “always online”?

#15 1 year ago
  16. polygem

@14. only problem: in reality, at least on consoles, buying digital is mostly more expensive than buying retail.

and that’s the only complaint i have about digital content. it must be a lot cheaper than a retail game.

i hope we will see that changing soon.

#16 1 year ago
  17. Cobra951

The Xbox 360 has featured background downloading for a long time now. You can be playing a game, and you’ll get a notification when your download finishes. If you power the system down while there are still downloads pending, it will go into low-power mode instead, shutting off the display and all nonessential processing, while continuing the download until it finishes. Then it powers down the rest of the way. A system update could easily add a sleep mode, and have the system wake up when its owner buys something online for it on a PC or other device. And that’s THIS gen, not the next one.

TL, DR: This is no big trick at all. It’s old news, really.

#17 1 year ago
  18. Major Mayhem 70

@13 I believe that we live in a society that loves convenience. And what could more convenient than utilizing the functions described in this article. I don’t know if the X1 functions like this as well but it shouldn’t be too hard to implement this feature if it doesn’t already. It’s the convenience of this feature that I believe will increase digital downloading. The next phase will be to offer perks to those that download games instead of buying a physical copy. If that doesn’t force the issue than a price drop for digital over physical could happen. That’s what we all would like to see. All of these tactics are to push the DRM agenda. Microsoft made the mistake of trying to push it by us. By the looks of this article, both consoles are going to slide it by us.

#18 1 year ago
  19. Arnvidr

This won’t work. If I’m not at home the console will be OFF, with no power available to stay in any kind of sleep mode.

#19 1 year ago
  20. Joe Musashi

LOL @ #7 & #8. Top marks!

JM

#20 1 year ago
  21. Djoenz

People dont seem to understand this is optional and not mandatory as in not forced to have 24hour check ins.

#21 1 year ago
  22. Scared

@15 This would be a feature that is exclusive to people that are ‘always online’ but it would be optional so it wouldn’t count as ‘always online DRM’

#22 1 year ago
  23. Arnvidr

@15 @22 Yup, it’s not DRM if it gives you a service, it’s DRM if it controls you (your hardware/software) in some way. It’s a very good service too, but as I mentioned earlier, it won’t work for me.

#23 1 year ago
  24. Biscuitpants

i could do this on xbox since 2008

#24 1 year ago
  25. Djoenz

I tend to shut off all electric devices when I go to bed or when Im out of the door (my mom influenced me) and yes sometimes even my router.

So you can download immediately as well on 360 and it goes back to sleep afterwards too>?? WOW I need to get a 360 asap!

#25 1 year ago
  26. lexph3re

You can tell one third of posters aren’t reading the article. another third aren’t comprehending it and another third are enjoying it. 2/3 of people who don’t quite get it though

#26 1 year ago
  27. Lengendaryboss

And now its possible on PS4 in 2013, so…

#27 1 year ago
  28. Djoenz

I swear xbots just seem to scream intelligence!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT:

Xbox 360 CAN download in the background even when the console is off, but remotely too? can someone confirm what @17 is saying?

#28 1 year ago