Xbox One DRM: Microsoft’s Penello doesn’t see it returning

Wednesday, 28th August 2013 11:33 GMT By Dave Cook

Xbox One’s DRM issue seems to be a thing of the past, and Microsoft’s Albert Penello has taken to the NeoGAF forums to discuss the console in detail. When quizzed about a potential return of always-online DRM, he said he couldn’t see it happening.

In the thread, Penello was asked if Xbox One DRM policies could be re-instated, to which he replied, “I don’t see that ever happening with content you’re buying today either on disc and digitally. All of that DRM stuff was in place because there was no physical security on the disc itself, so all the licensing was done digitally.

“When you build that type of model, then you need to make sure people can’t install games on a bunch of machines, then unplug them. That would have made us an awesome Pirating machine, and that can’t happen for obvious reasons. When we went back to disc security, those DRM policies weren’t necessary. So no reason to turn it on later.”

He added, “If there’s ambiguity, it’s because it’s possible that, in the future, IF WE ADDED BACK some of those family sharing ideas we had in the beginning, we’d have [to] reintroduce similar types of policies. So IF you wanted to have a game and have that family sharing, always-in-the-cloud, and digital loaning – then we might add those requirements back.

“You can imagine a world where we have both types of models at the same time. Again, big IF, but the bottom line is I wouldn’t worry about us making those policies ‘retroactive’ which seems to be the issue I hear people worry about.”

What’s your take on the above? Let us know below.

Via OXM.

1. gomersoul

So that’s not a no then. Glad I’m getting ps4, at least I won’t have this shit to worry about

#1 1 year ago
  2. Major Mayhem 70

There’s going to be 3 Xbox Ones in my house so Family Sharing would be ideal. I understood their initial drm policies and was ok with it as long as I was able to take advantage of Family Sharing. Hope they bring some form of it back. Like instead of 10 friends drop it down to 4.

#2 1 year ago
  3. MCTJim

That is a no in my book.

#3 1 year ago
  4. melonbuster1

I will have 3 but 2 in one house and 1 in the other.. along with 1 ps4. I will only play the ps4 every 6 months when sonys 1st party stuff come out. But everyone plays the xbox1 so I needed the family share plan.. drm was good

#4 1 year ago
  5. Gheritt White

AstroTurf… AstroTurf EVERYWHERE!

#5 1 year ago
  6. Cobra951

I’m not just worried about retroactive policies. Intrusive DRM in FUTURE games is equally troubling. Not only did he not dismiss that fear, he actually confirmed it as a possibility.

If I buy the system relying on the current acceptable DRM, then I find that all new games after a year or two require unacceptable always-online DRM, I would be very unhappy. This is why I think it’s essential to wait at least a year before buying an XBO. By then, we should know more about how such unwelcome possibilities will affect the console.

#6 1 year ago
  7. The_Red

Right now, publishers like Ubi are doing they’re own always-online DRM by calling their games “connected experiences” (The Crew).

If those games come and sell a lot, we could see some serious pressure put on Ubi DRM servers. If they crumble and fail, Ubi will go back to being sane and the stupid always-online DRM will leave gaming alone for at least one more gen.
    However… if Ubi games survive the online pressure (unlike SimCity 5), then more will do the same and you can bet you ass MS will find a way to bring back some DRM stuff.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Chewy

For those who are worried:

Read carefully about what Parello said.
    “When we went back to disc security, those DRM policies weren’t necessary. So no reason to turn it on later.”
    “if WE ADDED BACK some of those family sharing ideas we had in the beginning, we’d have [to] reintroduce similar types of policies. ”

This leads me to believe that if they re-instate family sharing, you’ll need to be connected to LIVE to actually play those shared games, but your system won’t always need to be connected to play disc based games. In this case, this makes perfect sense. If you’re not connected to the internet, you can’t access the games because you can’t access family sharing.

#8 1 year ago
  9. sebastien rivas

Yes definitely,

Some functionality of DRM sure, yes.
    Others like compeltely unecessary as consumer, if not DISTRUST from 3rd party games, or 1st party games, or console manufacturer such as intrusive sending anonymous check, no, I say go to hell!

I have nothing against evolution as long as it is done with art and manners. I am a consumer with a wallet and ready to buy; therefore respect or pardon the expression “fuck off”.

#9 1 year ago
  10. bobnice

Microsoft dont need to reinstate Always online DRM, the publishers probably will with all their games taking a direction towards a heavy online focus. I’ll give it 2 years before 90% of publishers no longer make offline games. So both PS4 and XO will not require online how3ver the games probably will. Not a problem for me, im always online and have been since 1999.

#10 1 year ago
  11. Clupula

By far the most useless FFXII character next to Vaan.

#11 1 year ago