Gran Turismo 6 – Sony has “no clear plans right now,” for a Vita release

Saturday, 24th August 2013 20:09 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Gran Turismo 6 isn’t heading to PlayStation Vita any time soon, according to Sony World Wide Studios president Shuhei Yoshida.

Speaking with IGN, Yoshida said: “The PS Vita is a very powerful portable system, but not quite as powerful as PS3. As you can tell looking at GT6, it really is using PS3 to a very high level. So it’s going to be really hard to move GT6 onto PS Vita.

“But in terms of PS Vita support, I don’t expect the whole game to be able to run on PS Vita. So there’s no clear plans right now that we can talk about.”

It’s possible that is Gran Turismo 6 comes to PlayStation 4 it could also come to Vita, as all first-party games will contain remote play. However, Yoshida would not be drawn on the possibility, despite Polyphony Digital teasing since the game was announced that it “may” come to PS4 in the future.

Gran Turismo 6 releases on PS3 December 6.

1. PS4FANB0Y

“The PS Vita is a very powerful portable system, but not quite as powerful as PS3. As you can tell looking at GT6, it really is using PS3 to a very high level. So it’s going to be really hard to move GT6 onto PS Vita”

Lazy comment of the year. Of course you can’t transfer the game to the Vita (Vita < PS3). But you can make a Vita version of the game. I feel like the Vita is Sony's deprived child.

Where is inFamous, Uncharted sequel, Warhawk, etc. for the Vita?

Every Nintendo portable gets the classic first-party games (Mario, Mario Kart, Zelda, Donkey Kong, etc). That's why they sell well.

I feel like Sony makes Vita games because they HAVE to and not because they WANT to.

#1 8 months ago
  2. Lengendaryboss

Contact Bluepoint Games see them prove PD wrong.

#2 8 months ago
  3. beast313

@1 I could agree with that comment, only when I see Nintendo make a HD level games on a portable. They are only now making HD games with the Wii U. Recently admitting the difficulties of developing games in the time frame they thought. Yoshida speaking honestly that they wouldn’t be able to port the game to the Vita seems to be just a earnest statement. Polyphony Digital doesn’t seem like they would split their studio for two projects. Your last sentence could go for Nintendo as well, they don’t want to make games for the Wii U they have too. Seems they much rather focus on the cheaper to develop for 3DS.

#3 8 months ago
  4. PS4FANB0Y

@3 – First, all the Nintendo classics are coming to the Wii U sooner or later (Mario, Zelda, Smash Bros, Mario Party, Donkey Kong Country, will all be out soon).

Second, who cares about HD graphics… Sony designed the Vita, so if it’s more difficult or expensive to program for the Vita, then whose fault is it? Let’s be real, it can’t be harder to develop Vita games vs PS3 games. So if Sony has done a great job bringing their first-party games to the PS3… why not the Vita?

But if you’re happy with how Sony has supported the Vita, then so be it.
    Even 3rd-party support is horrible… I’d love to play games like Splinter Cell on the go. But instead we got crappy ports like COD:D.

I’m just saying people paid good money for the Vita to experience classic Sony franchises on the go. Yet, besides the recent Killzone… it’s been a rough line-up.

#4 8 months ago
  5. beast313

I see it as they are supporting it. Bringing new franchises, as well as classics and offshoots to the platform. The type of graphics does play in to the type of investment needed/willingness for a game to be developed on the platform. They are bringing a lot of indies to the Vita and their own offerings. Not many western publishers are investing in the dedicated handheld market. Does seem to be plenty of Japanese support for it. Highlighting the graphics speaks to the market of Japan and their adoption of HD graphics in games, hence the flood of games to be played on the 3DS and not as many on the Wii U.

It seems to me that Sony is supporting all it’s offerings. Meaning three platforms PS3, PSV and PS4. Developing for two would be a lot, how do you think three would be. That’s why I think the feature of remote play could figure into a influx of games to be played on the Vita. Bridging the gap between development time of Vita only games.

#5 8 months ago
  6. sebastien rivas

You definitely make a good case and point here. I as well stumbled here and there upon PS3 developpers comments and reports that it is/was a very difficult platform to adapt to.

May Vita be as difficult to port game to… maybe. But Vita may have a great future if devers believed in it. That is Sony first hand to be included with GTA 6.
    I as a gamer assume that GTA 6 will not look as good on Vita as on PS4 and may barely equal PS3 quality, but still, it does not mean Sony should not make a little effort on that roadmap.

Like I argued in a recent article, I still wonder why the choice of components in Vita, was it the best choices, was it the most adaptive, was it the best for life cycle at that time? Should have Sony kept a couple more years with Sony PS handheld 3000 before jumping to the next gen and finally include a light version AMD APU? Should Sony slowly produce a Vita 100% compatible but with other components? Should Sony come on US soil with its own telecommunication for Vita 3g and perhaps 4G in future to boost handheld sells? why not a Vita phone… why not?

#6 8 months ago
  7. sebastien rivas

BTW I love the work and care brought to the car, it is an exceptional work!!!!

#7 8 months ago
  8. eaglerapida13

even sony knows vita suck

#8 8 months ago
  9. sebastien rivas

@ 8

It smells like it, it feels like it, it sounds like it, but really, we don’t know Sony end agenda regarding the Vita.

All we can say is that denying port to Vita especially a praised franchise such as GTA is like shooting yourself in the foot. For all I can say further more, GTA 6 Vita does not need to be the same maps and cars as GTA 6 PS4.
    What is sure is that this decision surely does not help Vita in any way!!!I want to believe this is a rash and well thought decision to be honest.

#9 8 months ago
  10. Francis O

Lazy….just lazy.

Make a new version for Vita. Super Smash Bros for Wii U and 3DS is being made. And the gap between those two systems is far bigger than the gap between the PSV and PS3.

#10 8 months ago
  11. fihar

Why in the world would you guys want another handheld version of GT?
    Even with the dual analogue stick, it will never be able to be even half as good as GT5.
    Do you really want another GT PSP in your hand?

If they wanted to show support to the struggling system, then they could dish out another MotorStorm or even DriveClub, anything except offering us something that has been proven to not work on a handheld, no matter how popular the series might be.

#11 8 months ago
  12. European

just like PC beggars Windows OS

#12 8 months ago
  13. diego-rbb-93

“We have no plans…”
    “We have no plans…”
    “We have no plans…”
    “We have no plans…”

I expect to listen that from 3rd parties, but from Sony…

Yes, Yoshida is being honest talking about the machine´s power and about GT6 potencial on PS3, I really get that.

But he´s completely wrong when it comes to talking about Vita support context. I mean, of course you can say your console isnt powerful enough compared to a big horse like GT6 using last PS3 power limits.

But user isnt asking about GT6 port, as we dont talk about a Infamous port or a Uncharted port. We talk about new projects made and build for Vita according to the handheld specifications.At least, is what first parties do, isnt it?

So Yoshida just has said to the audience: We dont support our own console with this title, instead of what im sure he wanted to say “we cant bring GT6 to Vita as it is”.

The problem? Probably, he was meaning the other sentence too. He sayed exactly the reality: Sony isnt gonna support PS Vita as much as you think they should.

They must promote their PS4 launch, they dont have enough user base to convince 3ds parties to develop for it and their own First Parties arent able to develop AAA titles, showing how we only get 3 or 4 big titles for year that really looks enough to convince the user.

Solutions came from indie/ports support and PS4 advantages, which are a excuse to keep saying the gamer “we care about your console, and hey! look how many games are we bringing to your hands”.

…………

Sony sins since PSP havent changed, which is exactly what they tried not to repeat. We´ll have to wait 2, 3 or 4 years to listen “yes, in that moment, we really screwed it up”?

#13 8 months ago
  14. PS4FANB0Y

@13 – “But user isnt asking about GT6 port, as we dont talk about a Infamous port or a Uncharted port. We talk about new projects made and build for Vita according to the handheld specifications.”

@11 – Real Racing was a nice racing sim for the iPhone (the worst platform for accurate and responsive controls). I think Sony can figure out how to make GT work with the Vita.

And GT is just an example… but my main gripe is how Sony has handled the Vita.

I can only imagine how the 3DS would do if Nintendo announced they have no plans to bring Zelda, Mario Kart, Mario 3D Land, Donkey Kong Country, and Smash Bros to the 3DS because the 3DS is not as powerful as the Wii U.

Sony wake up… stop releasing portables just to kill them. It’s like all they care about is bringing the most high-end portable but they forget everything else.

#14 8 months ago
  15. Belmont

I think it is quite obvious that Vita won’t be able to run a PS3 game that is ported on it,as it is, in other words. (Vita is still the most powerful handheld console out there though ,there are phones out there that are more powerful, but they cost 500/600$)

The correct idea is to develop a GT game from the ground up on Vita (Uncharted GA), of course it will be smaller in sheer scope, but again, handheld titles are always like this. Yet there are some troubles here.

First is that perhaps Sony can’t justify the cost and the sales(on a 3m unit install base). But if they don’t bring great games to Vita, the install base will always remain like that. Another thing is with PD, one of the laziest devs out there. Look at GT6 itself, GT5 was made of 800 cars brought from GT4, put alongside 250 new cars (250 new cars after 5 years of development). Now GT6 brings all the cars from GT5 and pushes the car count to 1200.

I know that perhaps PD has a small head count of developers (certainly less that 400 guys on Forza 5), but I’m sure as hell they can employ more.

#15 8 months ago
  16. PS4FANB0Y

3DS was on track to having a small install base when it first released but I remember two key things happening that turned it around.

1. Price drop, $250 -> $170
    2. Mario 3D Land was released

When the 3DS became affordable and they finally had a system selling game, things changed.

Sony took TOO LONG to do either one… actually I don’t even know if they really have a system selling game yet. And just now, the price dropped to $200.

I really thought at Gamescom, Sony was going to announce a Vita redesign, to go along with the price drop and possibly some killer AAA games.

Instead the biggest news was that you can use the Vita to stream PS4 games. I want gaming on the go… not just streaming around my house.

#16 8 months ago
  17. Jesus Christ

HAHA, is this even news? It’s common knowledge that $ony doesn’t have “clear plans” for anything. All they do is re-publish shit for their fanbois to buy no matter how bad it smells. Pshit fanbois are like a bunch of sheeps; doing whatever they’re told. Makes me sick to even share this website with them….

#17 8 months ago
  18. fihar

RR isn’t a sim. It’s more of a blend of both arcade and sim. The main reason why it worked was because it gives you multiple control schemes so you don’t have to worry about iOS’ lack of precision and an Accelerometer is actually much more precise that you might probably think.

The main reason why GT doesn’t work on a handheld is because it’s the kind of game that is designed for long periods of play time. It’s not something you’d want to play during a short coffee break.
    If you’re playing GT only for 3-lap races then frankly, you’re playing the wrong game.
    Traditional triple-A models doesn’t always translate well into handheld. Sony can’t expect the same bag of tricks that works well on a PS3 to work just as admirably on the Vita, a fact that they seem to never comprehend completely.

You’d probably have more luck making a proper RTS for console than trying to figure out how to fit GT into a handheld.

#18 8 months ago
  19. PS4FANB0Y

@18 – I played Gran Turismo on the Playstation… when there was NO analog sticks. We played with the d-pad and accelerate/brake were assigned to face buttons. It was the best racing game at the time. So I don’t know how bad the Vita’s controls can be… you have a d-pad and face buttons. At the very LEAST they can pull off the experience found on the original Gran Turismo.

I played every GT that has ever been released (except the PSP version). I have to say over 50% of my races were 2-3 laps. And if I owned a Vita, I’d rather have 2-3 laps of GT than 0 laps.

If Sony can’t design a handheld around the concept of playing AAA on the go, then they need to dump the Vita. Screw creating the most powerful handheld (because you will have no good games that use that power) and release a $100-$150 handheld that can handle indie/arcade games.

It’s just plain dumb on Sony’s part to repeat the mistakes they made with the PSP.

#19 8 months ago
  20. PS4FANB0Y

@19 – They are so good that they can’t find a way to release GT on the Sony Vita.

#20 8 months ago
  21. PS4FANB0Y

@22 – The president of Sony said there was no clear plans, but good thing you have assured us it “will definitely” come out to the Vita.

Say hello to PD for me…

#21 8 months ago
  22. Lengendaryboss

@PS4FANBOY
    No clear plans for the GT 6 port coming to PS Vita they never mentioned anything about the franchise. Read before jumping to conclusions.

Theres a big difference between a game and a franchise.

#22 8 months ago
  23. PS4FANB0Y

@26 – So what would be the point of his statements? It’s a no brainer that you can’t bring GT6 straight from PS3 to Vita.

If they actually had any plans to bring the GT franchise to the Vita, they could have said, “We can’t bring GT6 to the Vita… blah blah… but we definitely have plans to support the Vita.”

Plus, it’s been a while since the Vita released… where is the GT franchise? Where is inFamous?

The Vita is in the same boat as the Wii U… little 3rd party support. The only difference is Nintendo is busting their butt to get their own AAA titles on the Wii U. I don’t feel that way about Sony and the Vita.

#23 8 months ago
  24. Lengendaryboss

To inform owners GT 6 is not coming as is, like i said he said no clear plans for the GT 6 port not the franchise,

“But in terms of PS Vita support, I don’t expect the whole game to be able to run on PS Vita.” Speaking about the game not the franchise

“The only difference is Nintendo is busting their butt to get their own AAA titles on the Wii U. I don’t feel that way about Sony and the Vita.”

Why do i feel like i have seen and have been involved in this exact same conversation before?

“Nintendo and Sony are both confident in their platforms. People need to cut this bullshit in thinking manufacturers don’t care for their platforms.”

Sony/Third Parties:
    Dead Nation/Rayman Legends
    Flower/Toukiden
    GOW 1+2 Collection/Batman Arkham Origins Blackgate
    Invisimals The Alliance/Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Collection
    Tearaway/Vahalla Knights 3
    Freedom Wars/DBZ Battle Of Z
    Destiny Of Sprits/Demon Gaze
    Killzone Mercenary/FIFA 14/WRC4

Added to the list: Minecraft, Borderlands 2, Football Manager Classic 2014, Rime, Bigfest, Murasaki Baby.

As for the franchises it took three years for God Of War to come to PSP, it took 4 years for GT, Infamous, Uncharted didn’t come to PSP.

#24 8 months ago
  25. monkeygourmet

Why make PS Vita GT when people can stream GT 6 PS4 edition to their Vita….

That’s probably what they are thinking…

#25 8 months ago
  26. Lengendaryboss

GT 6 might evolve into GT 7 on PS4, first thought that came to mind was Pokemon evolution.

Thats why i never liked the idea of remote play with PS4 and PS Vita it can enable developers and possibly Sony to get lazy if it succeeds.

#26 8 months ago
  27. sebastien rivas

woww interesting thought and leaves me with questions.
    In what ways could devers or even 1st party pubs get lazy if remote play vita+PS4 get some love by consumers?
    Seriously, give me an example please, I do not see how they could get lazy… I am interested.

Thanks

#27 8 months ago
  28. monkeygourmet

Exactly.

Why bother making 2 games or a Vita exclusive when you can just make a PS4 game and stream it to Vita…

I expect a Vita / PS4 pack very, very soon.

I expect a GT6 PS4 special edition with full Vita support in late 2014.

#28 8 months ago
  29. Lengendaryboss

Not bothering with Native PS Vita releases.

Below explains it in better detail.

#29 8 months ago
  30. monkeygourmet

Reasons devs could get lazy is just not bothering with Vita and making PS4 games that can stream instead. PS Vita triple A titles still cost a fair amount to make considering they almost look on par with Ps3 / 360 stuff.

This could make alot of studios want to go the PS4 route and stream to Vita rather than putting all their eggs in one basket and developing purely on the Vita…

It’s a weird handheld for people to work with IMO. Indie stuff will thrive though, but AAA stuff (it’s initial promise) will be overlooked IMO.

#30 8 months ago
  31. sebastien rivas

@ 31

Ha ok thanks I understand better, thanks. But again, the platform is in dire need for big names. Not doing anything at all or too little and the handheld won’t pick up from its actual limbo or flat pulse.
    I as well would love to see more games in development for the Vita but I think it is like wishing for santa at this moment.
    So effectively this PS4+Vita may not be ideal but it is always something. Though I assume Sony already learned their many mistakes why the handheld is not pick up or not enough.
    My first word for Sony is to change the name for next gen handheld

#31 8 months ago
  32. PS4FANB0Y

@25 – True the PSP didn’t get any of those games. But can we honestly say the PSP was a success? You have a few good titles on the list, I just hope they turn out well.

Batman in particular has my attention.

@26 – “Why make PS Vita GT when people can stream GT 6 PS4 edition to their Vita…”

The Vita is a portable device, meant to play games on the go. But if I need to own a PS4 (have it powered on), WiFi and be around my house to use it… then the Vita is no longer a portable system.

Btw, MG & LB, do you guys own a Sony Vita?

@32 – I agree the name is whack! I think they had it right the first time, PSP (Playstation Portable).

#32 8 months ago
  33. Lengendaryboss

@PS4FANBOY
    Over 70 million sold isn’t a success? Having franchises which PS Vita doesn’t have yet? I mean if your comparing it to its competitor it does seem like a failure.

I do own a PS Vita i think Monkey said he is getting one for a select few games worth his purchase of the system.

PSP 2, NGP all better than PS Vita.

#33 8 months ago
  34. PS4FANB0Y

@34 – I think the general feeling is that people are not 100% satisfied with how the Vita has been handled. I think Sony could do more to bring their franchises (the ones people already love) to the Vita.

But I do see a recent spark in Sony towards the Vita. And the list you mentioned above is somewhat promising. Btw, you forgot Legend of Raven… looks like a classic fighter.

Btw, how’s the D-Pad? How do you feel about the overall build quality? With all respect, it seemed a little hollow when I tried it at Best Buy… didn’t have that solid feel.

#34 8 months ago
  35. Lengendaryboss

@PS4FANBOY
    Its best not asking me i have no problems with gaming on any platform: so identifying problems wouldn’t easy. the analog sticks are loose, select/start buttons are weird to press.
    I would find other user reviews.

#35 8 months ago