The Elder Scrolls Online will have microtransactions

Friday, 23rd August 2013 08:41 GMT By Dave Owen

After the announcement that it will have a traditional subscription model, it’s now been revealed that The Elder Scrolls Online will include an in-game shop where purchases are made using real world cash.

AusGamers spoke to Matt Firor, director on The Elder Scrolls Online, who told them “there won’t be anything like bonus points, but we will have a shop to buy kind of fun stuff and services too like name changes and things like that.”

He went on to explain that the items offered in this shop will not be “part of the core game, anything included in the core game is included in the subscription price.” It’s probably safe to speculate that these will include a large range of largely cosmetic items. Horse armour, anyone?

Still, regardless of what items are available there it’s likely to improve an unpopular move. Bethesda and Zenimax Online have already come under fire for the decision to buck the free-to-play trend and charge a monthly subscription for full access to the game. Hopefully we’ll find out more about the shop soon.

1. naffgeek

Seriously, Either have F2P with micro-transactions or charge a fee and let that be the end of it.

If you are paying each month then they want £1.99 or something for a new suit of armour then they can fuck off!

What saddens me the most is there must be a audience who will use this or they wouldn’t bother doing it.

Microsoft announced that Ryse would have micro-transactions and that is £45 on amazon…how much money do the pubs want!!!

#1 1 year ago
  2. hives

@1 – It will be something like in GW2. Buying cosmetic stuff. Silly items for fun, casual clothing, fireworks, XP boosts.

But I think it should be Buy2Play like Guild Wars. Subs & micros really feel weird.

#2 1 year ago
  3. lookingglass

Free to play MMORPGs are a plague upon the genre. Either the trend will die or the genre will.

It’s good to see 3 major upcoming MMOs announce subscription plans; Final Fantasy, Elder Scrolls, and Wildstar.

Though I must concede, ESO going subscription while having a cosmetic cash shop on day 1 does leave a bad taste. One thing at a time is the smarter move here.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Aullah

im not gonna pay sub and dealing with microtransaction at teh same time… fuck you. I dont want your game.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Dendroball

@3 Let’s be realistic for the case of TESO given the scope of the game and its budget, I think Bethesda execs know that they’ll have to go Free 2 Play down the line. They will try to keep the subscription model as long as they can in order to get most of their money back and when competition will be too steep (ie. when EverquestNext will come out), they’ll make the switch.

For Wildstar as it looks to be a relatively more modest sized MMO, I can see Carbine Studio keeping the subscription model when their player base is established/stabilized (ie. modest numbers but still profitable), especially since it didn’t cost a fortune to develop.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Tavarish

So, they are already integrating essentials for F2P transition couple months after release and milking that subscription + micropayment comboplate. Good for them!

#6 1 year ago
  7. loci

Bless them, they think they have a golden egg laying goose.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Blue Oni

Subs AND microtransactions??Jesus…this is going to bomb so hard that it won’t be even funny.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Rafa_L

Maybe it’s because I never really got into an MMO, but I really don’t see the appeal of a subscription. I would feel obligated to play, I should be able to stop playing and resume it whenever I want, not according to monthly commitments.

#9 1 year ago
  10. OlderGamer

“P.S. It’s bullshit for MMO to contain 1. Purchase requirement 2. Monthly fee 3. Microtransactions. Pick one or combination of two point, never all of them!”

+1 right there.

#10 1 year ago
  11. sebastien rivas

60$+ probably 15$ a month+ 5 bucks for a pink unicorn.
    Ching ching, ching ching open the cash register Bethesda but I don’t think it will grow that much.
    You guys are brushing gamers in wrong direction. You guys really need to come at the table to show us your definite cards because gamers community cannot handle it already.

Look at me, I am so pretty:

Guys beware, the first link is very catchy and will stick all day long ;)

#11 1 year ago
  12. Armitage Shanks

How is this going to work on consoles? so i have to pay Xbox gold sub and pay a monthly fee to play ESO? bit much isnt it.

#12 1 year ago
  13. TheWulf

They’re setting themselves up for the inevitable free to play update, I see. It makes me wonder if the subscription thing is just a ploy to bring in subscription money for a few months, and then, when it starts draining out they’ll launch their free to play model and have microtransactions ready to go.

Tax for early adopters, I suppose.

I just really can’t imagine that they haven’t learned from TOR, so this is a good con if they pull it off. I just feel sorry for all the poor schmucks who’ll actually pay for the subscription up until they drop it.

#13 1 year ago
  14. TheWulf

I’m beginning to think maybe that’s the intent. That way they get to launch twice. They get their original launch, and they get to bring in subs for as long as they last (telling us that free to play will never be a thing, honest guv), then when the subscriptions wear out, they’ll drop their free to play patch and end up on news/review sites all over again.

From a business standpoint it’s a risky but clever plan. And I can see the slimy ZeniMax being all for such a plan.

#14 1 year ago
  15. Tarawa

because having a sub and micros means you absolutely have to buy from the cash store, its a requirement, so yes, the hate is justified.

and to the sub haters: get a job

#15 1 year ago