War Thunder coming free to PS4 at launch, new gameplay trailer released

Wednesday, 21st August 2013 03:41 GMT By Brenna Hillier

As promised, Gaijin Entertainment released the first PS4 gameplay footage of free-to-play aerial combat MMO War Thunder at gamescom 2014. Check it out through the break

The PlayStation 4 version of the free-to-play sim arrives when the console launches in November, and will support cross-platform play with the PC version, which is currently in open beta.

“The age old battle between who rocks more, console or computer gamers, now has arena for it to take place. War Thunder for the PlayStation 4 is cross-platform compatible allowing for computer and console fans to battle it out for gaming supremacy,” Gaijin CEO Anton Yudintsev said.

“Just think of it, more than hundred planes, tanks and ships – all fighting on the same map. We look forward to seeing our 3 million plus online community take to the skies, or prowl on the ground to do battle in War Thunder accompanied by PS4 users.”

War Thunder on PS4 will have over 300 historically accurate WWII military vehicles available at launch, with more to come; the PS4 will receive all updates as the PC version does. The MMO boasts co-op, single-player and the flagship MMO battles, and the PS4 version has some exclusive features like head-tracking thanks to the PlayStation Eye camera and easy streaming and video sharing, as well as some exclusive content.

A Mac version is also expected to go into beta shortly, and Oculus Rift support is in the works.

1. Doppleganger

WOW!!! FInally a PS4 exclusive that excited me. Little worried about the console for a while there

#1 8 months ago
  2. Tyrantsoul

This game looks amazing.I cannot wait to play this.I missed the WW II style games since both CoD and Battlefield went modern.Not that theres anything wrong with CoD or Battlefield but I always found WW II seems more epic.

#2 8 months ago
  3. Doppleganger

I totally agree. I really want Battlefield to go back to WW2.
    Im going to dive into any next gen WW2 game as is long over due.

#3 8 months ago
  4. Deyja

You guys know you can play this right now? on the pc? just download it and give it a whirl already.

#4 8 months ago
  5. Sethos

A free game releasing on the PS4 for free

Amazing

#5 8 months ago
  6. VibraniumSpork

How will this ‘head-tracking’ work on PS4? From what I can see online this mostly seems to be an Oculus Rift kinda thing; you look left, and the the goggles show you what’s going on at the left-hand side of the cockpit etc. That’s cool with Rift, but if I look left in my living room I’ll be looking at the fireplace rather than the TV ^_^

Not trolling, just curious…I’m one of the 5 people who’ve pre-ordered the Eyecamera at launch -_-

#6 8 months ago
  7. TF_PtMaster

This game is amazing and really challenging.

Nice addition to PS4 portfolio.

#7 8 months ago
  8. TheWulf

I’m really glad that the console owners are getting some new experiences that they haven’t had before. Hopefully proper modding and tweaking will become a thing eventually, too. And then the removal of monopolistic marketplaces resulting in a greater indie presence.

But yeah, this is a good first step. Give it a few decades and we might actually be in a good place.

Not actually an exclusive, just a port of a PC MMO. Glad to see this happening, though.

#8 8 months ago
  9. fearmonkey

@5 – Yeah…its kind of sad and funny at the same time. However, MS takes a free game like world of tanks and requires a gold account to play. Sony doesnt require PS Plus to play War Thunder, so I have to give Sony props for that.

The fact it gets all the updates the PC version does is cool too, I wonder if MS will allow that for World of Tanks.

#9 8 months ago