The Sims 4 is offline, will not have DRM

Wednesday, 21st August 2013 10:18 GMT By Dave Owen

Producer on The Sims 4 Grant Rodiek has confirmed to VG247 that “The Sims 4 is an offline, client-based game.” That means there’ll be no SimCity-style DRM.

Rodiek also said that consoles are not currently being looked at as a platform for the game – for now, it’ll be on PC and Mac only.

No DRM will come as relief to many. When EA launched SimCity earlier this year with a number of DRM measures, it caused a huge number of problems that made the game unplayable for many. It turned out that many of these measures were not even necessary. It seems that EA has learned their lesson, and will be keeping The Sims 4 DRM-free.

1. Sylrissa

Smart move, good to see this lack of DRM.

#1 1 year ago
  2. MTS91

Old news: http://ohnotheydidnt.livejournal.com/77566936.html

That was near first announcement…

#2 1 year ago
  3. domnage

They’d better make it technically good this time, or I’ll leave this franchise forever. Sims 3 stuttering is still there and it’s just unplayable.

#3 1 year ago
  4. ArithonUK

Good start. To quote John Conner from Terminator 2 “Are we learning yet?”.

Sim City was a broken game crippled by poorly implemented DRM unsuited to the game.

All they have to do is make sure SIMS4 is as good or better than SIMS3 and they’ll be printing their own money.

#4 1 year ago
  5. alterecho

Wow, EA has been doing some great things lately. Whats up?

#5 1 year ago
  6. viralshag

The Sims is actually one of my favourite franchises. My only gripe is the same expansions every time. I would like to see things like University in the main game from the start.

Obviously, I know this is their number one cash cow, I think it’s well deserved as I’ve never been let down by it but still, I would like to see better pricing at a minimum for the expansions.

Regarding the DRM, I think the Sims is played by such a wide variety of people the backlash of potential problems would be a lot larger. For games like D3 and SimCity, that was mostly going to be contained to just non-”casual” gamers.

All good though.

#6 1 year ago
  7. backup

hahaha

PC game lol

PC pirates are casuals

#7 1 year ago
  8. CycloneFox

@2: Well, it’s strange that there was such an interview before the official reveal yesterday, but it is still important to confirm something like this after it’s actually revealed. Just to bring it back to peoples memory, at least.

@5:EA is trying to improve its image, after beinf voted as Americas worst company twice in a row. I still don’t buy it and will keep my distance as I usually don’t play any EA games anyway. My girlfriend will buy The Sims 4 and every addon, though. *sigh*

It is strange that there is really no multiplayer feature involved. I don’t think it’d work out so well as Sims system works atm and it would have been bad if EA developed Sims4 as an all DRM always online game with a persistant online-world and stuff, but haven’t alot of gamers asked for at least peer to peer neighbourhood-sharing, or something of the kind? That would have been nice.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Ireland Michael

@6 Firing John Riccitiello, by the looks of it.

#9 1 year ago
  10. TheWulf

That picture continues to crack me up. I’m unsure if it’s intentional or not, but seeing EA of late, it might actually be.

Also, my interest has been piqued by this of late thanks in particular to a video where I saw that chubby sims were possible, and even encouraged. I’m really kind of sick of this vomit-culture where people who’re only a few pounds overweight are encouraged to become dangerously underweight.

As much as I like America, I will say that a lot of this is the fault of the shallow, superficial American media, and Hollywood likely plays a big role in that. This was an opinion that formed from input based upon the opinions of American friends that I have. I’m really at a loss when it comes to understanding vomit-culture.

If a person is healthy and happy, they should be allowed to be whatever they want to be. I’ve seen people who’re healthier when slightly overweight than underweight, because of genetics. It took us the longest time to figure out even that obesity is actually genetic and hereditary, and as such a medical concern rather than a societal one.

There are way too many stories of fat people who’ve become ill by trying to starve themselves or use vomiting because they just can’t lose their weight, due to their genetics. I really hate that.

So seeing The Sims 4 allowing for chubby Sims has firmly put this on my radar. I always felt like the perfect, Hollywood Barbie & Ken dolls that Sims have invariably been have positively reinforced vomit-culture, and I was very iffy about the games because of that, despite them being my sort of thing. That, however, seems to be changing.

I, for one, couldn’t be happier.

Good job, EA. I don’t say that a lot.

Edit: If I might segue into a related topic…

This does indeed have things to do with why I’m not fond of how you have so many people who turn normality, being extroverted, shallow, dull, and one-dimensional into some kind of fetish. Where the familiar, the societal and cultural status quo, is now the biggest organised religion of the lot (move over, Christianity). And those who follow it tend to do so with a zealous fervour.

I’m not a fan, I’ve never been a very religious person, and I’m not going to make a god out of some old hairy bloke, or the status quo. That’s not my thing. And I find boring… well, boring. As I do with comfort zones, and things being obeyed just because they’re established. Entertainment has fallen prey to this far, far too often. So I’m always happy to see this overruled, on any level.

Conversely, this is why I encourage little things like novelty and people actually thinking for themselves rather than just being a cog on the great gear of society. Whether it’s over-sexualisation, prejudice, or just being a brand zombie, I want people to think for themselves more.

And any company that steps out of the norm a bit is going to get praise for it. If they actually have chubby Sims as default characters in the Sims 4 (rather than just those you create), then I’m going to be over the moon, honestly.

#10 1 year ago
  11. Sopgno

I would like to see a Sims game with online play, but not as an excuse for a DRM. Good move, devs.

#11 1 year ago
  12. TheWulf

Yeah. Problem with The Sims Online was that the technology and infrastructure just wasn’t there at the time to support that. Now it is. So I’d really love to see them revisit that idea.

#12 1 year ago