Kinect a major focus in Unity’s Xbox One support

Friday, 16th August 2013 18:13 GMT By Phil Owen

Now that Microsoft is really into this whole indie thing, the folks behind the ever-popular Unity engine are working to make a version that specifically supports the Xbox One, much like they did with the 360. And as they do this, Unity Technologies CEO David Helgason tells OXMUK, they’re going to make sure that devs are able to take full advantage of the system’s capabilies, with “a particular focus” on the new Kinect.

“Because it’s so powerful – it’s actually [laughs] I don’t know which kind of words to put on it – if I say it’s ridiculous it sounds negative, but it’s just an amazing piece of hardware,” Helgason said. “And the software behind it is actually a big part of that, the software that the engine has to support well to make this good. And so we’re working on that.”

Other Xbox One features he specifically mentioned that they’re working on are SmartGlass and the magical cloud.

1. MCTJim

well a developer has said its very powerful. Here come the haters dismissing it.

Personally, I am so happy that they left it as part of the system and didnt remove it. Its the only thing that is really going to distinguish it from the PS4. Without it, it would be a PS4.

#1 8 months ago
  2. bradk825

Uh oh. He said good things about the Kinect. Get ready for the shitstorm in the comments section.

#2 8 months ago
  3. xxJPRACERxx

@1 Exactly what I think. I was not a fan of the 1st Kinect but this one seems to be really powerful any now the devs will really start to exploit it, not just gimmick games.

#3 8 months ago
  4. Djoenz

Nice how you changed your initial comment. Here you are dragging the ps4 along.

Yay for Microsoft I suppose. They need to get support for the included Kinect.

#4 8 months ago
  5. MCTJim

Say what?

I made the edit of adding this: Its the only thing that is really going to distinguish it from the PS4. Without it, it would be a PS4.

#5 8 months ago
  6. Djoenz

My bad I could have sworn I saw something like this: “Well well well a dev using the dev kit” etc.

#6 8 months ago
  7. bradk825

@6 I wondered if I was crazy, that’s what I remember too, lol.

#7 8 months ago
  8. MCTJim

I just finished reading this on OXM and its rather interesting to say the least.

#8 8 months ago
  9. Lengendaryboss

First comment says “Here come the haters dismissing it” when its the first comment and no-ones was here: sigh if you’re going to make a controversial and short-sighted comment wait until the “haters” come here otherwise your just speaking out of thin air and personally your attracting the “haters” with that narrow-minded comment.

Like i told you before the PS4 and Xbox One are two different beasts with unique features to make each console unique enough from each other, if the forced inclusion of a Kinect is really what separates it from PS4: then that really is short-sighted.

#9 8 months ago
  10. MCTJim

@9 point taken and filed in the circular file

#10 8 months ago
  11. xxJPRACERxx

Speaking of OXM, which is best, the US or UK edition?

#11 8 months ago
  12. MCTJim

I get the US online version so I am not sure.

#12 8 months ago
  13. Irani

Kinect > Sony

#13 8 months ago
  14. xxJPRACERxx

My trackball > Toyota

@12 Ok, thanks!

#14 8 months ago
  15. Lengendaryboss

But, but, but the Kinect 2.0 is a huge improvement so that must mean you think Sony is a improvement.

Pro-Sony comment confirmed :)

#15 8 months ago
  16. RachelDemers

This post gives clear idea in favor of the new viewers of blogging, that really how to do blogging and site-building.

#16 8 months ago
  17. bradk825

Tenderloin > Rib Eye

#17 8 months ago
  18. zinc

It could be that the kinnect 2.0 really IS as good as the hype suggests.

The original kinnect felt a bit of a rushed response to the Wii, but MS have had more time to nail it this time.

#18 8 months ago
  19. Kanok

Now, Microsoft has good position without Mattrick.

#19 8 months ago